• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Soto

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of talk about him. I figure he deserves his own thread.

the Giants are of the front runners per rumors. Also, it is assumed that the Nats will require that Patrick Corbin be part of the deal, which should lessen the prospect package going back. And the Giants are well positioned to take on money.

Corbin is owed 24.4m in ‘23 and 35.4m in ‘24.

The Giants currently have 89m on the books for ‘23 and 14.2m for ‘24. That includes Rodon’s 22.5m, which Rodon will likely void.

The Nats also have Strasburg who, after this season, has 4/140m remaining and is out for this year and has a history of major injury issues. Maybe we can take him and lessen the prospect load even further.

The Nats are allegedly trying to shed salary in preparing for a sale. Shedding both Corbin and Strasburg could be too much for them to turn away from. Maybe taking both of them off their books could make it a Soto, Corbin, Strasburg for Ramos?

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not sit out the trade deadline and go after Judge. You don’t give anything up and sign a top tier free agent. Soto will cost prospects and in a year will want to negotiate a huge contract. Cut the loses and go for the hometown boy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not sit out the trade deadline and go after Judge. You don’t give anything up and sign a top tier free agent. Soto will cost prospects and in a year will want to negotiate a huge contract. Cut the loses and go for the hometown boy.
I still have questions about Judge’s long term potential. Big guys rarely have long careers (there are exceptions, I understand that). But I am OK with making a push for judge in the off season as things sit right now.

But Soto looks like something special. And he is only 23.

I don’t know. I keep flip flopping on my own opinion about going for him. I don’t want to part with Luciano or Harrison, but just about everyone else is fair game. But I fear it will cost BOTH Luciano and Harrison. I am trying to look at the whole picture and see if there is a way to avoid that. And utilizing a current strength (we have LOTS of room in payroll) could help lessen that load.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have questions about Judge’s long term potential. Big guys rarely have long careers (there are exceptions, I understand that). But I am OK with making a push for judge in the off season as things sit right now.

But Soto looks like something special. And he is only 23.

I don’t know. I keep flip flopping on my own opinion about going for him. I don’t want to part with Luciano or Harrison, but just about everyone else is fair game. But I fear it will cost BOTH Luciano and Harrison. I am trying to look at the whole picture and see if there is a way to avoid that. And utilizing a current strength (we have LOTS of room in payroll) could help lessen that load.

My son and I had this very same conversation the other day. We agreed that Judge would be the better option in terms of giving up no one. Soto, while very intriguing, would cost players we have been waiting on to mature enough to get to the show plus big money if, that’s the huge part, he wants to stay. In my opinion I say wait the season out and go for Judge. I think he’s got some years left to keep us in the hunt every year and maybe put us over a time or two.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son and I had this very same conversation the other day. We agreed that Judge would be the better option in terms of giving up no one. Soto, while very intriguing, would cost players we have been waiting on to mature enough to get to the show plus big money if, that’s the huge part, he wants to stay. In my opinion I say wait the season out and go for Judge. I think he’s got some years left to keep us in the hunt every year and maybe put us over a time or two.
Judge is currently 30. He will be 31 on April 26 (a few weeks into the season).

He currently make 19m this year.

I would assume he would demand something like a 8/200m (25m aav) to lock him in. Maybe an 8/240m (30m aav)? We would get maybe 3 solid/AS level seasons out of that.

Yikes.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, two big differences between Soto and Judge
1. Age: 23 vs. 30
2. Help this year vs. next

Lots of other differences too, but I'd hope they seriously try to do both.

And then go for Ohtani next off season.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love to have Soto based on his age plus potential in the future. The only worry is giving up some top prospects that are supposed to fill holes in the next year or two for something not guaranteed past next season. If they could ensure him staying in the long run that would be fine, but there would still be holes to fill.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem with Judge is we can't get him now, right?

I'd like to have him as well if he is a Giants fan that would be really neat.

But if we're trying to salvage this season then Judge is too long term.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love to have Soto based on his age plus potential in the future. The only worry is giving up some top prospects that are supposed to fill holes in the next year or two for something not guaranteed past next season. If they could ensure him staying in the long run that would be fine, but there would still be holes to fill.
I believe he is under team control through the 2024 season.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he is under team control through the 2024 season.

My understanding is he is signed through next year. I could be wrong.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We out…
We shouldn't be in that market anyway.

Dump who we can start the rebuild right now and possibly, quite possibly, rid ourselves of Kap as well.

His "new age music and crystals" approach is growing old.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dump who we can start the rebuild right now and possibly, quite possibly, rid ourselves of Kap as well.

I am no Kap fan, but he did win 107 and MOY last year. And he and FZ are apparently not only on the same page, but on the same character. The shortest tenured manager for the Giants in the last 35 years was Alou. The Giants dont churn their managers.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no Kap fan, but he did win 107 and MOY last year. And he and FZ are apparently not only on the same page, but on the same character. The shortest tenured manager for the Giants in the last 35 years was Alou. The Giants dont churn their managers.
I don't like quick triggers for managers. He needs to show, for multiple years, that 107 was an aberration before being let go.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Typical knee jerk reaction.

1. They are not going to "rebuild" by "dumping who we can." It just isn't going to happen.
2. Kap can't make a mittfuckery, slow roster play sure handed and fast.
3. Best we can hope for is to be non-buyers

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical knee jerk reaction.

1. They are not going to "rebuild" by "dumping who we can." It just isn't going to happen.
2. Kap can't make a mittfuckery, slow roster play sure handed and fast.
3. Best we can hope for is to be non-buyers
Typical head in the sand reaction.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the manager isn't why they aren't winning.

If anything FZ might be the culprit. Also winning 107 games, which was kind of flukey. Made us think just run the same guys back.

Turns out, last year all the gambles paid off, plus vets like Belt and Crawford and Posey had near or full career years. The bullpen pitched well. Etc. This year those gambles are mostly coming back to Earth, Bart is a bust, Belt and Craw are bad, etc. It's not on Kapler.