• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sixers Talk - The trade that wasn't

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article... I wanted to get the fan opinion around here:

Report: Celtics' mystery trade target was Sixers' Jahlil Okafor

The skinny:

- Celtics were willing to give up their coveted rights to the Brooklyn 1st round draft pick this year
- The 76ers pulled out of the deal at the last moment

Brooklyn currently has the 4th worst record in the NBA.

Thoughts?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be the case that the C's would have been able to sweeten such a deal... by, let's say, adding a Jared Sullinger (who would have been expendable with Okafor going to Boston).

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was Philly, I would not do that trade. I know he has become a headache at times, but I wouldn't trade him unless there was an overwhelming trade package offered. They should have tried to trade Noel for a young jump-shooting stretch-four.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is unjustifiable for both teams. There is only a 17% chance that the pick will be 1 or 2.

The first pick is more valuable than Okafor by a good margin (Simmons), the second pick is equal to Okafor (Ingram), and Okafor is much more valuable than any pick after that (which it's 83% to be). So it's a loser trade for the Sixers.

And for the Celtics, if they ended up trading Simmons for Okafor, as unlikely as it is today, will look horrendous and will be a black mark that will hover over the franchise for a long time.

What I think will happen is a deal will get consummated if the Celtics end up in the 2 spot after the lottery. Okafor for Ingram on draft day, with maybe some spare parts exchanged, seems about fair.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is unjustifiable for both teams. There is only a 17% chance that the pick will be 1 or 2.

The first pick is more valuable than Okafor by a good margin (Simmons), the second pick is equal to Okafor (Ingram), and Okafor is much more valuable than any pick after that (which it's 83% to be). So it's a loser trade for the Sixers.

And for the Celtics, if they ended up trading Simmons for Okafor, as unlikely as it is today, will look horrendous and will be a black mark that will hover over the franchise for a long time.

What I think will happen is a deal will get consummated if the Celtics end up in the 2 spot after the lottery. Okafor for Ingram on draft day, with maybe some spare parts exchanged, seems about fair.

I agree. And if the Celts want Okafor that bad, add a 1st unprotected for next year. Otherwise - no thanks. Okafor is a star and more talented than Noel, and Embiid might never play a full season. Pass!

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no to the trade. I'm not trading anyone until i see what Embiid can do. Point blank period.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have done the deal in a heartbeat. Okafor is the definition of an empty stat guy. He has the worst real plus/minus in the league because he doesn't make any teammate better on offense, doesn't rebound at a useful rate for his height, and plays some of the worst big man defense in the NBA. I would absolutely rather foster Nerlens' talent over Okafor's.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have done the deal in a heartbeat. Okafor is the definition of an empty stat guy. He has the worst real plus/minus in the league because he doesn't make any teammate better on offense, doesn't rebound at a useful rate for his height, and plays some of the worst big man defense in the NBA. I would absolutely rather foster Nerlens' talent over Okafor's.

He's a rookie! The draft picks are "prospects". No telling how they'll do. Okafor can play in this league.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it breaks down like this. The 76ers fans would only do it if it ended up being the #1 or #2 pick plus. The Celtics fans wouldn't do it if it was the #1 or #2 picks. Can't fault Ainge for trying but no way the 76ers were going to accept that offer. This isn't the first time Ainge has mouthed off after a failed trade. Sour grapes or w/e it is he's a joke.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid has screwed up this whole ridiculous tanking shit. It's frustrating at this point to watch it potentially crumble over five years.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad deal......would not have done it. The Hinkie plan is about to take off, no way I would cut bait this far into a program to rebuild this team for the long haul.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word now is that Ainge thought they had a deal, but Hinkie pulled out - probably Colangelo veto'ed it. Sam likes to collect his "assets".

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ainge is full of shit. Also he wants some credit for identifying Okafor as a legit player.