• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Simple question...

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read about this a lot and I still haven't seen a clear explanation.

My understanding is that Chip is now 'In charge of all personnel related issues' including the roster, free agency and the draft. He will also pick his own GM.

I also understand that Howie is still in charge of the cap.

Am I right? If so, how is Chip in charge of personnel decisions when he doesn't control the money? I don't get it.:wtf2:

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this is very concerning to me too. Not only does he apparently not control the money, but the guy who does may have an ax to grind...

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip has JJ and Dan Snyder syndrome ... it's highly contagious ...

especially in the NFC East ...

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is that Chip is now 'In charge of all personnel related issues' including the roster, free agency and the draft. He will also pick his own GM.

Am I right? If so, how is Chip in charge of personnel decisions when he doesn't control the money? I don't get it.:wtf2:
The way I understand it is that chip decides who he wants and Roseman works out the contact. Really no different than when Reid had control. Reid did not do negotiations either.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I could be wrong, but it's my impression that lots of teams have different people handling contracts and picking personnel. They work together.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I could be wrong, but it's my impression that lots of teams have different people handling contracts and picking personnel. They work together.

My concern would be how well these two can work together at this point.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think it matters. Roseman does not have the authority to say we will not sign a player. His job is to work out the contract and get it under the cap. If he feels a player is asking much I would believe he would have to get the ok before he can say the Eagles will not sign a player.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know...

... when you get past all the drama stirred up by a media that was grasping at straws trying to pretend they were on top of the story...

... and you look at what really happened, it's pretty simple. Howie fired Gamble without Chip being as involved in the decision as Chip would have liked, so Chip told Lurie he didn't want that to happen again and that he wanted more say over the GM he'd be working with.

I know a lot of people have trouble freeing themselves from the exciting drama, but there's always Bravo for those people to watch instead of watching football games.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is NOT a concern. If Howie acts up again, Chip has control, and Lurie will fire Howie. It's as simple as that. Lurie has hitched his wagon to Chip. Why is this a question at all?

Chip is the king of the Eagles!

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me explain because I think you guys are missing the point. Howie re-signs Maclin this offseason. Chip then says go get Mr.X. Howie makes his offer to Mr.X and it isn't enough.

Now what happens? Is Howie really in charge of the cap? Is Chip really the decision maker on personnel? Who gives in? Can't have it both ways.

When Reid was here, Joe Banner decided how much was spent. Period.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me explain because I think you guys are missing the point. Howie re-signs Maclin this offseason. Chip then says go get Mr.X. Howie makes his offer to Mr.X and it isn't enough.

Now what happens? Is Howie really in charge of the cap? Is Chip really the decision maker on personnel? Who gives in? Can't have it both ways.

When Reid was here, Joe Banner decided how much was spent. Period.

How do other teams do it?

The two people work together. As well as a bunch of people from their staffs, if necessary. How do you think decisions are made in any organization? Some are collaborative and some are solely made.

In the scenario you described above, what would happen next is Howie would attempt to convince Chip of that players value, and Chip would attempt to convince Howie of the need for that player. Ultimately there will be capitulating on both sides as plans are drafted, redrafted and attempted to be implemented during the offseason.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe in most organizations there is a final decision maker. Used to be Banner, then Howie. Thank God Lurie doesn't seem to interfere.