• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: SHARKS (29-22-8) at STARS (27-22-8) 5:30 PM

How can the Sharks improve?

• Bench under-performers. (Wait... You can do that?)

• Bring back Bryan Marchment to goon up opponents.

• Replace Niemi with 6th skater for duration of game to improve GAA.

• Chip Marleau's brain with Google Car software pre-programmed to drive the net.

• Troll Colin Kaepernick's Twitter account for lulz because the Sharks are unwatchable. "U mad bro?"

• Nothing. I agree with Jamie Baker when he says the Sharks aren't bad, just unlucky.

• Add a cheeky poll to the game thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharks 29-22-8, 5th in Pacific Division (because they suck and it's intolerable)

TV: CSN-CA, FS-SW

DALLAS -- The San Jose Sharks and Dallas Stars are currently on the wrong side of the cutoff line for the Stanley Cup Playoffs picture in the Western Conference, which makes the game between the former Pacific Division rivals at American Airlines Center on Thursday crucial.

San Jose (29-22-8) is 2-5-2 in its past nine games, including a 5-1 loss at the Nashville Predators on Tuesday. The Sharks are currently tied in points with the Los Angeles Kings, but L.A. holds the final wild-card spot in the West by virtue of having played two fewer games. San Jose's recent struggles led coach Todd McLellan to shuffle his lines at morning skate on Thursday.

"It could (help us defensively). We're hoping that," McLellan said. "We've won two of our last nine games with the same group, so it's time to shake things up. We'll see if that gives us an opportunity to be productive. If not, we can always go back."

McLellan moved left wing Patrick Marleau from the second line to the top line, where Marleau will likely line up on the right side alongside left wing Melker Karlsson and center Joe Thornton.

Joe Pavelski, previously on the top line, drops down to play on the left side of the second line alongside center Logan Couture and right wing Tommy Wingels.

McLellan is keeping his defensive pairs intact from the Nashville game.

This game will mark the first for defenseman Brenden Dillon in Dallas since the Stars traded him to San Jose in Nov. 2014 for Jason Demers. Dillon admits returning to face the Stars, who he played 149 games for prior to the trade, is a bit weird.

"I had to figure out where the away dressing room was, first off. Obviously, lots of emotions. I am really excited for this game," Dillon said. "It's a great city, great fan base and a great group of guys that I wish the best for. But I am really happy being in San Jose."

Goalie Antti Niemi was first off the ice and will start for San Jose, his seventh start in the Sharks' past eight games afterAlex Stalock started in his place at Nashville.

Dallas (27-22-8), has won four of its past five games, including 4-1 at the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, but Stars coachLindy Ruff wants to see more consistent results on home ice.

"I think we've played good hockey for two months, consistent hockey. Maybe we haven't been rewarded with it. We've played some great games in this building and lost. Those are tough to swallow," Ruff said. "We've won four out of five again and we've got to continue doing the right things and give ourselves the best chance of winning games."

Left wing Travis Moen missed the last half of the third period at St. Louis with a lower-body injury and was placed on injured reserve Wednesday.

Dallas recalled left wing Brendan Ranford, the nephew of former NHL goaltender Bill Ranford, from Texas of the American Hockey League on Tuesday. Ranford is expected to make his NHL debut against the Sharks on the fourth line alongside center Shawn Horcoff and right wing Colton Sceviour.

"I am very lucky to get this opportunity and I am just going to try to enjoy it every day," Ranford said. "I am going to take it day by day and see what happens."

Right wing Ales Hemsky (lower body), who has missed the past two games, is a game-time decision for Ruff. Hemsky was one of the last Dallas players off the ice on Thursday.

"He's close, so we'll see," Ruff said. "He's just trying to get a little extra work in and he hasn't had a lot. But he's better than yesterday, which is a good sign."

Goalie Kari Lehtonen was first off the ice for Dallas and will start his second consecutive game.

Here are the projected lineups:

SHARKS

Melker KarlssonJoe ThorntonPatrick Marleau

Tommy WingelsLogan CoutureJoe Pavelski

Matthew NietoJames SheppardTyler Kennedy

Tomas HertlChris TierneyAndrew Desjardins

Marc-Edouard VlasicBrent Burns

Brenden DillonJustin Braun

Matt IrwinScott Hannan

Antti Niemi

Alex Stalock

Scratched: Barclay Goodrow, Mirco Mueller, John Scott

Injured: Mike Brown (right leg), Tye McGinn (upper body), Daniil Tarasov (undisclosed), Raffi Torres (knee)

STARS

Jamie BennJason SpezzaErik Cole

Antoine RousselCody EakinRyan Garbutt

Curtis McKenzieVernon FiddlerBrett Ritchie

Brendan RanfordShawn HorcoffColton Sceviour

Alex GoligoskiJohn Klingberg

Jyrki JokipakkaTrevor Daley

Jordie BennJason Demers

Kari Lehtonen

Jhonas Enroth

Scratched: David Schlemko

Injured: Patrick Eaves (concussion), Ales Hemsky (lower body), Travis Moen (upper body), Patrik Nemeth (arm), Valeri Nichushkin (hip), Tyler Seguin (knee)

Status report: Scott is likely a healthy scratch for a fourth consecutive game. … Schlemko is likely a healthy scratch for a ninth consecutive game.

Who's hot: Jamie Benn scored his first career hat trick on Tuesday at St. Louis and has a four-game point streak.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes! Vlassic @ 3:24 1st for a 1-0 lead!

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright! Hertl makes it 2-0 at 3:38 in the 2nd. Played the screen perfectly and placed an ace shot over Lehtinen's left shoulder.

Edit: The goal has been changed to Desjardins.

And Desjardins scores again @ 6:15! 3-0!

Goalie change for Dallas!

Last edited:

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niemi is trying his best to lose by giving up a weak goal @ 8:00 2nd per. 3-1 Sharks.
I'd say trade him but who wants a netminder who cant stop a puck?

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was looking pretty dicey toward the end when the Sharks let in a goal for a 3-2 lead but 2 empty netters sealed the deal for a 5-2 win. Not a dominant performance though and not a particularly strong opponent either, but I'll take a win any day of the week. Clearly there are still some issues that need to be addressed if the Sharks are going to be playoff contenders.

2 goal night from Desjardins is pretty cool though. That's a rarity.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this team is not making the playoffs, not with its current shittastic defensive play and even worse goaltending along with no show patty and nieto

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
im willing to make the dreaded double down bet on this one

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im willing to make the dreaded double down bet on this one
At least you have choices now.
doubledowndog.jpg

Which reminds me of this:

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team is not making the playoffs, not with its current shittastic defensive play and even worse goaltending along with no show patty and nieto

Nice they won. Patty and Wingels got their stats padded with empty netters. So why did the Tadd "promote" Patty to the top line? Or is Couture/Pavs/Nieto now the top line?

It is amazing Marleau/Nieto combined have 16 goals and Vlasic/Desi have 14. Hell Burns himself almost has the same number as Marleau/Nieto.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice they won. Patty and Wingels got their stats padded with empty netters. So why did the Tadd "promote" Patty to the top line? Or is Couture/Pavs/Nieto now the top line?

It is amazing Marleau/Nieto combined have 16 goals and Vlasic/Desi have 14. Hell Burns himself almost has the same number as Marleau/Nieto.

I put Marleau's empty net goal in the category of "things he's expected to do" but it's nothing to write a column about. He certainly didn't do anything to contribute to the 3 goals that preceded it.

Marleau had 3 shots and an empty net goal while Thornton called in useless again with 0 points, 46% FO and 2 PIM.

Vlassic had a good game with a goal, 7 blocked shots and a +2 rating.