• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sean Couturier signs extension

Hextall

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
6-year for $4.3M AAV, thoughts?

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal with potential to be a steal. Can't wait to see how Couturier does under Hakstol

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal for both sides

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally do not like it

It's the 6 yrs that worries me ala LeCavalier/MacDonald/Umberger deals that we're stuck with.
I'm sure if he was offered 4.3-4.6 over 3 years he would have taken it IMO.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally do not like it

It's the 6 yrs that worries me ala LeCavalier/MacDonald/Umberger deals that we're stuck with.
I'm sure if he was offered 4.3-4.6 over 3 years he would have taken it IMO.

Couts contract is MUCH different than those other three guys - those three guys are on the downside or past the prime of their careers - Couts has only been in the league for four years now and that contract of his will be right in his prime years so that's when they'll be getting the best of him

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couts contract is MUCH different than those other three guys - those three guys are on the downside or past the prime of their careers - Couts has only been in the league for four years now and that contract of his will be right in his prime years so that's when they'll be getting the best of him

I look at it this way-They're taking a chance that he'll improve.
I'm not saying he won't,but I would be a lot happier with giving him 3 years,and if he pans out,then another 3 year or more,depending on his performance.

If he doesn't work out after the 3 years,that saves them 12.9 mil,to use on someone else.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it this way-They're taking a chance that he'll improve.
I'm not saying he won't,but I would be a lot happier with giving him 3 years,and if he pans out,then another 3 year or more,depending on his performance.

If he doesn't work out after the 3 years,that saves them 12.9 mil,to use on someone else.

I like 6 years at that number. Like Cobie said, it's a little different with Coots because he's so young. You're only risking 4.3 mil against the cap, which isn't huge. And there's at least a viable chance he turns in to a player worthy of 5-6-7 mil in just 2-3 years. Then you have him locked it at 4, for 3-4 more years after that. The gamble is low enough risk and high enough reward that I like the contract.

If you sign him for 3 years at that number, and he increases his offensive output, there's a chance he breaks the bank at that time. Here, he's manageable. In 3 years is when I would be hesitant to give him a long term deal because at that point he will probably be at his max earning potential so the risk is much higher.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Good solid deal and the building of a championship team continues.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like 6 years at that number. Like Cobie said, it's a little different with Coots because he's so young. You're only risking 4.3 mil against the cap, which isn't huge. And there's at least a viable chance he turns in to a player worthy of 5-6-7 mil in just 2-3 years. Then you have him locked it at 4, for 3-4 more years after that. The gamble is low enough risk and high enough reward that I like the contract.

If you sign him for 3 years at that number, and he increases his offensive output, there's a chance he breaks the bank at that time. Here, he's manageable. In 3 years is when I would be hesitant to give him a long term deal because at that point he will probably be at his max earning potential so the risk is much higher.
Yep totally agree very pleased!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. It's easy to forget that Couturier is still only 22. These other guys are 28, 33 and 35 respectively. The contracts are completely different. Even if Couturier doesn't improve much offensively, it's decent value. If he becomes what we expect him to, it will be great value for several of his prime years.