• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SB Season of '85: 30 Years Later

What was the worst injustice of the game?

• Payton not getting a TD even though McMahon had 2 and Perry 1 rushing

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Eason not given a chance to turn that game around (who are we kidding; he was done)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The unsportsman-like abuse the Patriots decided to inflict on the Bears (so many Penalties)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grogan not getting a chance; actually creating a safety when sacked in the endzone

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Fiero425

JayCium
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything special going on to mark it this year? Just happened to pull old VHS tape of the SB after the '85 season against the Patriots! I should go look at the record-books to see if the Bears hold many in how they abused that team! I'm sure no other team was held to negative halftime yardage; passing and rushing! It was a case of child abuse! With 2 weeks to muse about the match-ups, people were sure this was "even-steven!" Nothing could be further from the truth! It got so bad, Eason had to be replaced by old man Grogan in the 2nd quarter! He had to be shell-shocked from being sacked multiple times, having a forced fumble, and an interception; all in the first couple series of the game! I'm still trying to figure out why Coach Berry had them passing on those 1st 3 plays after Payton's fumble? They had gotten to the big game by running the ball, upsetting Marino and the Dolphins in Miami!

They had to settle for a field goal in the shadow of the post! This game had it all; big plays, banter about McMahon's "headbands," and artistry of the whole thing going down to the score, (46-10)! The "46 Defense" was relentlessly talked about all year due to how the Bears were just as entertaining on both sides of the ball! It wasn't all about Payton, McMahon, Gault, and McKinnon! The "dog pound" had a lot to "yap" about; esp. shutting out 2 teams in the playoffs! That's probably another record they'll hold for all time; 21-0 over NY Giants and 24-0 over LA Rams! LA RAMS? lol! Yep, it was all about Eric Dickerson and a cloud of dust! He was forced to cough up the ball twice; including the last play when Marshall picked it up and ran it back for a TD as snow began to fall in Chicago! Memories! What's your favorite memory of that season? Mines was of course McMahon coming off the bench in that MNF game against Minnesota; threw it 4 times, only getting 3 TD's after being down 17-6 late IIRC! What's yours? Perry rushing and catching a TD against GB in successive games? The lone loss against Miami on MNF? I love that Bell and Harris held out, wanting to be traded, and ended up watching this dream season with a video proclaiming their greatest before the SB with "The Super Bowl Shuffle!"

- 1985 Chicago Bears season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The true injustice is not remembering what I had for lunch yesterday let alone a football game 30 years ago.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the above.

It was the Patriots backups scoring a touchdown on the Bears backups down by 41 in the final minutes of garbage time.

Ruining the Bears run of not giving up a touchdown in the playoffs. Not to mention, the fact that the only reason the Pats had 3 points to begin with was a rare Payton fumble deep in Bears territory. In which the Patriots went backwards with. Had negative yardage at halftime.

Should have been three straight shutouts. Which, IMO… would kind of make it impossible to argue against them as being the greatest D of all-time and probably end the greatest team argument as well. I mean, I don't know how you argue against that. lol, I mean it was already an 81 point differential in the playoffs, but still… the Super Bowl shutout would have been the nail in the coffin.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 years and I still remember every player on that team. I can't remember who won the last 5 SBs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst injustice was that team only won 1 SB. Should have been a dynasty.

C

cubzzzfanincali

That the loser somehow couldn't have been Green Bay??

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHY ARE we STILL Talking about this team??? It's been 30 freaking years!!! Get over it! Stop living in the past. It was a good team. Should have won more SB's- they didn't. Move the F on people!

C

cubzzzfanincali

When you have only 6 playoff wins in 30 years, you tend to get nostalgic.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHY ARE we STILL Talking about this team??? It's been 30 freaking years!!! Get over it! Stop living in the past. It was a good team. Should have won more SB's- they didn't. Move the F on people!
tantrum-o.gif