• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Same Play Calling as Last Year

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we threw the ball more than 3 yards down the field.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we threw the ball more than 3 yards down the field.
I can recall at least a couple of long passes for first downs. Think his long was still only like 13 or something.

Notice that when he did have time he mostly threw it away. His young receiving corp were not getting open against Boise freaking state. What chances do they have against real Pac12 defenses? lol.

The offense is going to be a major adventure again this year.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freshman QB.

Things should open up a bit once he gets a little experience.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freshman QB.

Things should open up a bit once he gets a little experience.

This was my initial reaction as well, but unfortunately, the Huskies were similar under Miles aside from when they'd take a deep shot at Ross.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mickens is the only receiver that can get open so all any real defense has to do is bracket him and they shut down any effective down field passing game. Until some of those young receivers step up we won't see much of Jake's arm this year.

It's further unlikely because of the horrible line and non existent running game. All a defense has to do is take Mickens out, stuff 5 on the line and blitz one or two and you stop all but 1 in 10 plays. Easy peasy.

Predictable play calling from a list of no more than 6 - 7 total plays to choose from. There isn't anyone here that couldn't run a defense against that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing we had a soft team to play against.

Considering planning going to USC for the USC-UW game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't bank on that being much of a game.
Did you go to that game yesterday?

My take:
Wasn't a whole lot more big plays added to Brownings plays. He's miles ahead of Cyler (see what I did there) in screens and quick dumps, but he's not comfortable yet. You really don't see him progress through reads or do much more than hit a quick target or dump the ball away. Jake completed a few longer-ish balls but got damned lucky on the first TD pass where the defender had a hand on it. And I remember him missing guys badly a few times on crossing or other lateral movement plays, any of which would likely be picks against decent teams. Their running game looked like it was playing against high school kids. There wasn't anything different from the prior week other than a serious drop in talent on the opponents D line and even then they still disrupted a lot of runs.

Next week will tell us more, but even then it won't tell us everything. USU is a better opponent, but nowhere near even Cal's.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't bank on that being much of a game.
Did you go to that game yesterday?

My take:
Wasn't a whole lot more big plays added to Brownings plays. He's miles ahead of Cyler (see what I did there) in screens and quick dumps, but he's not comfortable yet. You really don't see him progress through reads or do much more than hit a quick target or dump the ball away. Jake completed a few longer-ish balls but got damned lucky on the first TD pass where the defender had a hand on it. And I remember him missing guys badly a few times on crossing or other lateral movement plays, any of which would likely be picks against decent teams. Their running game looked like it was playing against high school kids. There wasn't anything different from the prior week other than a serious drop in talent on the opponents D line and even then they still disrupted a lot of runs.

Next week will tell us more, but even then it won't tell us everything. USU is a better opponent, but nowhere near even Cal's.

Just now saw this post. Still planning on going down to USC, it's not so much about me thinking the Huskies will win - I'm extremely confident that they will lose.

I go to every home game, I've got season tickets. It's like a religious thing for me. It's sort of my way of re-living my best college memories.

Unfortunately, I generally get belligerent and am not in any state to actually scout the game. So my extent of analyzing Browning's ability is based on the Boise State game + what I remember from the games + the highlights I re-watch.

Either way, I still really like what I have seen from Browning. I feel like if Miles were still on the team, Browning would still be a better option. I do feel like he is extremely limited by the play-calling though.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an outsider, I have to admit, I think you have a diamond in the rough with Browning. Another year or two and I see UW right back at the the north. Damn did I really just say that.

Good luck this weekend, a U$C win helps Stanford's SOS, but I hate the toejams. I really hope you win, I definitely think it will be closer than the spread predicts.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just now saw this post. Still planning on going down to USC, it's not so much about me thinking the Huskies will win - I'm extremely confident that they will lose.

I go to every home game, I've got season tickets. It's like a religious thing for me. It's sort of my way of re-living my best college memories.

Unfortunately, I generally get belligerent and am not in any state to actually scout the game. So my extent of analyzing Browning's ability is based on the Boise State game + what I remember from the games + the highlights I re-watch.

Either way, I still really like what I have seen from Browning. I feel like if Miles were still on the team, Browning would still be a better option. I do feel like he is extremely limited by the play-calling though.
Hope you made it to the game tonight. Would never suggest not going to a game simply because it's an expected loss. I don't skip home games we shouldn't win either. I too have season tickets and make it to every game and while I do drink pretty heavily before games, I'm typically sobered up before the end of the first quarter and I don't drink at half time so I do see and remember most of the action.

Browning has so many great qualities, but I really worry about them not being fully developed by what I consider a fairly inept coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Kind of like how Jake Locker wasn't under anything that resembled good coaching until Sark came in and by then his development was more limited by time before turning pro.

I didn't get a chance to speak after the Cal game, but watching DW march down the field for a score and then seeing them only give him the ball 6 more times for the rest of the entire game was beyond head scratching. The run game was working and they simply abandoned it anyway in favor of asking a true freshman to carry the load.

As for tonight's game, I fully expect to lose and by double digits at least. USC is the most complete team in the Pac right now despite their D not being all that great statistically. Trojans are going to torch a lot of defenses with their deep passing explosive plays on offense and I'm sure they get a few tonight. UW is simply too young, particularly on offense, to go on the road and play a slow grinding ground game to eat up the clock which is what you must do to beat USC right now. Our D is rated quite a bit higher than theirs, but I don't have to tell any of you how far behind our offense is compared to theirs.

Dawgs will get a signature type win within the next month, but it has to be a home game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Smith credit when it's due. I think the play calling and execution weren't that great in the first half last night, but they made some solid adjustments and showed a fair amount of improvement in the second half. I like that they have been using different rushers each week and getting them involved. The deep passes that Browning entirely over threw will be there in future games and I mean this year. You have to take those shots to keep the defense honest. I don't mind that they are sticking to a lot of shallow cross passing routes as it seems Browning mostly makes good throws and decisions with those. He didn't throw as much to the edge of the field this week and it seemed like they stopping trying to force as many screens after it was obvious they weren't working.

You can't give too much to a true freshman QB so it's hard to blame the lack of diversity too much on Smith, but they need to do more of what they did in that second half of running to setup the pass instead of the other way around which seems to be how they want to run this offense. They have to key on the running game more.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Smith credit when it's due. I think the play calling and execution weren't that great in the first half last night, but they made some solid adjustments and showed a fair amount of improvement in the second half. I like that they have been using different rushers each week and getting them involved. The deep passes that Browning entirely over threw will be there in future games and I mean this year. You have to take those shots to keep the defense honest. I don't mind that they are sticking to a lot of shallow cross passing routes as it seems Browning mostly makes good throws and decisions with those. He didn't throw as much to the edge of the field this week and it seemed like they stopping trying to force as many screens after it was obvious they weren't working.

You can't give too much to a true freshman QB so it's hard to blame the lack of diversity too much on Smith, but they need to do more of what they did in that second half of running to setup the pass instead of the other way around which seems to be how they want to run this offense. They have to key on the running game more.
Minus boise, I think smith has done okay so far.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minus boise, I think smith has done okay so far.
I didn't think it was good in either of the other OOC games and why on earth he stopped using the run game in the Cal game AT ALL when it had been WORKING is a real head scratcher. DW had been effective and yet after the long drive that ended in a TD where he got most of those yards, they only ran him like 6 other times the rest of the game? And he averaged over 6y/carry over those 6 carries. It's not like it wasn't working.

You have a very young, very green QB at the helm. You have to establish a running game and key on it to help him. Not doing so is being derelict of duty.

He had a much better mix and better overall diversity of calling in USC.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think it was good in either of the other OOC games and why on earth he stopped using the run game in the Cal game AT ALL when it had been WORKING is a real head scratcher. DW had been effective and yet after the long drive that ended in a TD where he got most of those yards, they only ran him like 6 other times the rest of the game? And he averaged over 6y/carry over those 6 carries. It's not like it wasn't working.

You have a very young, very green QB at the helm. You have to establish a running game and key on it to help him. Not doing so is being derelict of duty.

He had a much better mix and better overall diversity of calling in USC.
That's true, I forgot about giving up on the run against cal. I think there has just been more glaring problems, like a terrible group of receivers, that are taking some of the focus off of the playcalling. For me, from what I can tell on TV or from the stands, the play calling has at least improved enough to where I don't feel right focusing on it as the major issue. I think smith might end up okay here.

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, I forgot about giving up on the run against cal. I think there has just been more glaring problems, like a terrible group of receivers, that are taking some of the focus off to the playcalling. For me, from what I can tell on TV or from the stands, the play calling has at least improved enough to where I don't feel right focusing on it as the major issue. I think smith might end up okay here.
Oh he's not the only problem on offense for sure. And things are better this year than last where they refused to stop running the same damned screen plays that Miles never could hit in stride.

Gotta see a hell of an effort from play caller to front line next week. We all know what's at stake and how critical this game is.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense lost this game... I need to take it all in watching a tv version of the game. .. but right now I'm still pissed about a re-spotting of a ball on 4th down that eventually led to 7 points l.

Can anyone explain to me what happened? From what I recall, the 4th down was short of the 1st down. .. they called it Huskies ball... then respotted the ball and gave the Ducks a first down that eventually led to 7 points. Was the spot correct?

Ps, I paid for 4 oregon ducks fans tickets... fuck me

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the replay... It should have been first down regardless of the spot of the ball.

I feel better that we weren't robbed but instead lost fair and square

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a few missed calls more than bad calls, but this is the Pac12. Every team every game is playing against an opponent and the refs. You simply have to play so well that you take those dumb bastards and their stupidity out of it.

Since you have replay, what about that long pass by the ducks that setup their second TD in the first half? That pass was just in front of me and the hold on our rusher that was nearly in his face was so blatant that the entire stadium went off on it not being called. It looked like it might have even been hands to the face.

But no bad call lost that game for us.

Ducks came in with Adams and while he's not the same QB he was with EW, he's a huge upgrade to lockie or whoever that other kid they tried did. You can tell their defense responded as well. They had more drive into the backfield and looked more hungry than they did against WSU.

DW came up with some injury in warm ups leaving us with Gaskin as our only threat in the backfield. How much of the playbook this week had plays designed to get Washington involved that had to be scrapped? It's one thing to lose a weapon during the week or prior game, whole different thing to lose them before or during that game.

Clearly not having Victor was felt in the first half, but even then the D did decently against Adams outside of that first drive where twice our corner fell asleep on the edge. UW outplayed the ducks in the second half. Haven't seen that happen in a very long time.

Losing Browning to injury and having Carta-Samuels come out was the death nail, but....

In sticking to the topic of this thread, it's entirely inexcusable what the coaching staff itself did in that second half. I really put this loss on the coaches. You burn a TO because you couldn't get 11 men on the field in time for a special teams play? Really? I just knew that was going to hurt us. Then you have the ball with like 8 mins to go and have no sense of urgency going down the field down 2 scores. This can ONLY be because they haven't put a hurry up package in. That's entirely on Smith. Worse, they were so disorganized during one of those plays that they again had to burn a TO to get shit right. Those coaches need to get their shit together if they want to beat Pac teams week in and week out. This isn't the MWC anymore.