• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap at $69M

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know how the Kings sit with the new cap figure?

Ox

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have around 3.5 to work with, needing a Mitchell replacement and whatever they are doing/not doing with King.

Next year is when it gets interesting, Williams, Stoll, Regher, Martinez and maybe someone else? are all UFA, compounded with Muffin, Toffoli, Pearson, Clifford, Nolan and Jones being RFA. Not going to be able to keep em all unless they take some really friendly contracts

Last edited by a moderator:

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Psych. I see they've also got several non-roster players coming up on free agency. Fraser, Schultz and Campbell are UFAs while McNabb, Quailer, Andreoff, Livingston, Berube and Parker are RFAs. I'm guessing Mitchell's spot will be taken by any one of Schultz, Campbell or McNabb. I think the Kings made MQOs to all the RFAs so they shouldn't be a problem getting resigned if the Kings want to keep them. Not sure what happens to the cap figure if someone is called up in case of injury. Does his salary take the place of the injured player for cap purposes?

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what happens to the cap figure if someone is called up in case of injury. Does his salary take the place of the injured player for cap purposes?

Ox

Depends on injured player.

Let's say the team salary figure is $58 million, cap is $59 million, player A makes $3.5 million, goes down with a LTIR and Player B is called up and he makes $2 million. The Kings would be allowed to go over the cap by player A's salary by the net salary differential (Team Cap - Salary Cap + Player A Salary or $58-$59 = -$1 million + $3.5 million = $2.5 million). That figure is what the Kings would be able to go over the cap by meaning they could sign/recall someone up to that dollar figure. Player B is within this range so there will be no problem and the Kings won't be penalized.

So if player B were to be called up, the Kings' cap number would be $60 million, which under normal circumstances would be over the cap by $1 million and subject to fines but since the player is on LTIR they are exempt. When Player A is ready to go, the Kings must immediately become cap compliant by the start of the next game or face financial ramifications from the league.

If it's a guy who is just banged up and not on LTIR, the spare players on the 23 man roster should cover that but if someone needs to be recalled there is no cap exemption.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a guy who is just banged up and not on LTIR, the spare players on the 23 man roster should cover that but if someone needs to be recalled there is no cap exemption.

Hope that helps.

That's the case I wasn't sure about. I knew they would be OK if the injured guy was put on LTIR. So they had better have enough room to be able to call up someone from Manchester in the event of an injury more serious than day-to-day.

Ox

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have around 3.5 to work with, needing a Mitchell replacement and whatever they are doing/not doing with King.

Next year is when it gets interesting, Williams, Stoll, Regher, Martinez and maybe someone else? are all UFA, compounded with Muffin, Toffoli, Pearson, Clifford, Nolan and Jones being RFA. Not going to be able to keep em all unless they take some really friendly contracts
Yup - the NHL winning window is a relatively brief period ( Hello Caps fans) , and if Duhryl and the Kings want another Cup next year may be there best option before the slow slide starts ( Hello Vancouver Cannots fans)

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannots supposedly chatting with Miller about coming on. At this point do they really feel he is that much better then Lack ? St. Lou kind of took that gamble for everyone already didn't they ?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would be looking at him as a veteran presence to hold the for while Lack develops, who seems to have a ton of talent.

If they do choose to go with Miller, I wouldn't expect a long term deal because he will be there as a mentor more than anything and Lack showed he can play a little last season. Personally, I'd look at Brodeur more than Miller, he has a winning pedigree he can pass on but he may not want to go to Vancouver.

Sucks to be a goalie this summer, not much out there with most team set. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these guys either sit out an entire season or go overseas.

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would be looking at him as a veteran presence to hold the for while Lack develops, who seems to have a ton of talent.

If they do choose to go with Miller, I wouldn't expect a long term deal because he will be there as a mentor more than anything and Lack showed he can play a little last season. Personally, I'd look at Brodeur more than Miller, he has a winning pedigree he can pass on but he may not want to go to Vancouver.

Sucks to be a goalie this summer, not much out there with most team set. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these guys either sit out an entire season or go overseas.

I agree on the Marty idea , although i would far prefer Marty just retire , and not soil his great legacy by playing out the string as a back up somewhere.