• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban draws comparisons to smoking heaters and the HUNH

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to throw some money down that the game will be slower next year than this year, and you'll be bitching about the speed of the refs - even without a rule change before then. The writing is on the wall and you guys know it, and you are going ape shit over it.

We are simply having a go at Sabs bro.

And to your willingness to bet? I wouldn't be so quick with that one, you may have missed it. The NCAA has approved an eight official in many conferences. This ref's primary duty is to be the ball spotter. Faster spot of the ball ref?

Looks like this has backfired. Team Bielema with sidekick Sabs asked for 10 sec rule. What do they get? An extra ref to make the game even faster.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't work for team SEC Tennessee.

Every team can be labeled one dimensional when analyzing their losses.

Coin can easily be flipped.

The reason Bama loses is because their defense can't defend the HUNH, as evident in their losses.:noidea:

I just choose not to use those tactics like you have because it is a bit naive.

Do you really think the only HUNH teams Alabama played in the past 2 years were the ones we lost too? Was LSU secretly running HUNH in 2011 as well?

Maybe the rank of those teams and that they were pretty damn good teams had something to do with it? Last 4 losses in the past 3 years:

#2 Auburn.
#6 Oklahoma
#5 Texas A&M
#2 LSU

I think I see a theme going here. When Alabama gets ass raped to a team like 8-5 Arizona, maybe I'll think the HUNH part has more to do with it.

It's kind of funny you mention Tennessee as not being able to do something as evidence, regardless of how bad they were. And yet Alabama shut out a HUNH team in Ole Miss last year that was borderline top25. DURRRRRR!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are simply having a go at Sabs bro.

And to your willingness to bet? I wouldn't be so quick with that one, you may have missed it. The NCAA has approved an eight official in many conferences. This ref's primary duty is to be the ball spotter. Faster spot of the ball ref?

Looks like this has backfired. Team Bielema with sidekick Sabs asked for 10 sec rule. What do they get? An extra ref to make the game even faster.

What? The 8th ref is a ref that is in the back of the offense for calling penalties back there.

And as the article you pointed out said, Saban didn't ask for the rule, and the rule almost passed last year but ended up in a tie vote.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, I'm sure it won't last long and you can all circle jerk to Saban some more in peace.

I just think it sucks that I'm in the process of losing one of my favorite places to visit. Oh well, good things never last I guess.

Youve ripped on SportsHoopla several times in just this thread. Sad that is your favorite place.

Your choice. Might I suggest www.allgirlssportschat.com or www.bamahomersonly.com?

Sorry your feelings got so hurt. :suds::wave:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youve ripped on SportsHoopla several times in just this thread. Sad that is your favorite place.

Your choice. Might I suggest www.allgirlssportschat.com or www.bamahomersonly.com?

Sorry your feelings got so hurt. :suds::wave:

Can't handle a little criticism? Hell, this is what the 5th thread ripping on Saban and Alabama fans?

I thought this place had a tad higher standards and was actually the reason why I joined this forum over all the others I could have. Was I wrong?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team averaging a number of plays for the year is averaging those plays whether a few more in one game and a few less in another. That is my point.

No, the point is if a team is running a HUNH on Alabama and the offense is running 8 plays then getting off the field Alabama's defense is on the bench a lot "avoiding injuries". When Alabama is then on offense Saban can run a slo-mo offense to "protect the players" all he wants. The total number of plays in a game when someone like Oregon, Oklahoma, etc. is on fire against a slo-mo offense will go DOWN. The pokey opposition will obviously be outscored but if they want to take 40 seconds between plays then so be it. The high number of plays only happens when both teams run the HUNH....which leaves Alabama out. Face it, Alabama fans, your coach looks like an idiot right now. Stoops has looked the fool at times too and so has every other head coach if he's in the game long enough. Saban got schooled by Oklahoma last season and he didn't like it. So the answer for Saban is change his style of play, not whine about how his defense got their ass whipped by a HUNH offense.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plays are plays. Numbers are numbers. If a team averages 88 or 90 than they run 88 or 90, whether hot or not!

THIS statement FAILS....A recap of the nation's BEST HUNH team versus D Shaw's club last year shows why.

Quotes comes from FoxSport News...

It wasn’t just that Stanford tamed the high-flying offense of Oregon, shutting the Ducks out for the first 49:47 and then holding on at the wild end for a 26-20 victory that saw Stanford put a serious dent in Oregon’s BCS title game hopes for the second year in a row.

It was how Stanford did it: by playing big-boy, smashmouth football. And by putting on a display of toughness in the trenches that rivals that of programs, like Alabama, whose toughness is never questioned.

In an age of spread offenses and the read-option attack, Stanford flat-out dominated Oregon by running it up the gut. With the help of Stanford’s towering — and, yes, tough — offensive line, Tyler Gaffney ran for a school-record 45 carries.

It was a courageous performance by Gaffney, one that spelled the death of Oregon by a thousand cuts. Gaffney did it in small, manageable chunks. He ran for 156 yards and one touchdown, averaging 3.5 yards per carry and didn’t have a run of longer than 16 yards. That was part of the game plan to keep the Oregon quick-strike offense off the field.

That’s exactly what Stanford did, controlling the ball for a ludicrous 42-plus minutes of a 60-minute game.

And the defense? Well, the Stanford defense stifled college football’s most hyped offensive scheme. Going into the game, Oregon averaged 55.6 points and 632.1 yards per game, both second in college football. Stanford held Oregon to 20 points and 312 yards of offense, less than half the Oregon averages. Dating back to last year’s upset victory in Eugene, Stanford held college football’s most exciting offense scoreless in 12 straight possessions. In two games over the past two seasons, Stanford’s bullying D held Oregon’s offense to a combined 34 points. The past two seasons, Oregon has scored more than 34 points in every single non-Stanford game.

Moreover, in the area where toughness is proven — in front of the goal line — Stanford's defense twice stuffed Oregon’s offense, stopping a fourth-and-goal play on the 4-yard-line on Oregon’s first possession, then stripping the ball from Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas at the 2-yard-line and recovering the fumble in the second quarter.

“We knew going into this game that it was going to be a test of wills,” said Stanford linebacker Shayne Skov, who forced and recovered the goal-line fumble. “Two different approaches, two very different tempos. One team was going to decide the way it was going to go.”

That team was Stanford.

Oregon NEVER came close to hitting their game play averages here.

Perhaps Nicky "I have a problem" Saban should spend more time in the film room and less time opening his "pie-hole" in news conferences.

It would be time better spent.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets analyze:

Didn't answer question
Made fun of Saban's looks
Cut him down with foot in the mouth comment

All this in only two sentences! This is how it goes down everytime on this subject and I'm the one who is personal and cries hate and changes the subject to avoid an answer. :rollseyes:

Ok, I will answer your question.

I don't think he loses sleep re rule change... I don't think he or any other CFB coach gets enough sleep to be honest.

I do think the HUNH, Sumlin, and Malzahn has caused him a lot of stress in his life. But it is ok, his legacy is already there as one of the best CFB coaches ever.

Most coaches when faced with adversity adapt and overcome or at least attempt to. Not bitch about player safety as a ploy to change the game to benefit their particular style of play.

A perfect example is how David Shaw dealt with the HUNH in Oregon. He found a way to over come Oregon through coaching and recruiting a certain kind of player. Unfortunately for Stanford that left the Cardinal vulnerable to another type of offense.

See, you just can't have it both ways, which is what team Bielema with Robin (Sabs) is after.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS statement FAILS....A recap of the nation's BEST HUNH team versus D Shaw's club last year shows why.

Perhaps Nicky "I have a problem" Saban should spend more time in the film room and less time opening his "pie-hole" in news conferences.

It would time better spent.
This sums it up perfectly.

Should be the end of discussion right here....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? The 8th ref is a ref that is in the back of the offense for calling penalties back there.

And as the article you pointed out said, Saban didn't ask for the rule, and the rule almost passed last year but ended up in a tie vote.

Saban " I don't care that I am getting blamed for this, that is part of it"

Yep, ol Sabs always accepts blame when he had nothing to do with an issue or statement.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would time better spent.

You are arguing a totally different point. This is about how you go in and beat HUNH teams. My post about plays was an example for safety! Someone posted a HUNH team scores quick so safety shouldn't be an issue because defense isn't out there as much. I said the number of plays a team runs is not magic. It is what it is and HUNH teams average a hell of a lot more plays.End of story. I still got stupid comments but that's to be expected when people on here just want to be right and then resort to name calling when they aren't.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word. That's a study I'd be willing to undertake myself. I'll need a $100K research grant and the addresses of all team-oriented pubs and restaurants in order to conduct my study.

Need a research assistant?:suds:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are arguing a totally different point. This is about how you go in and beat HUNH teams. My post about plays was an example for safety! .

Omfg!!!!!!

l. o. l.

:popsdance:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Press Release:

The University of Alabama football program would like to thank everyone concerned with us playing HUNH teams. However, we would like to let everyone know Alabama will be just fine. Again, thanks for all your letters, texts, tweets, emails and faxes wishing us the best!

Signed:

Bill Battle AD

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban " I don't care that I am getting blamed for this, that is part of it"

Yep, ol Sabs always accepts blame when he had nothing to do with an issue or statement.

What he said is he doesn't give a fuck what your opinion is. Has nothing to do with him saying he is behind the rule - which your article posted here clearly states otherwise.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are arguing a totally different point. This is about how you go in and beat HUNH teams. My post about plays was an example for safety! Someone posted a HUNH team scores quick so safety shouldn't be an issue because defense isn't out there as much. I said the number of plays a team runs is not magic. It is what it is and HUNH teams average a hell of a lot more plays.End of story. I still got stupid comments but that's to be expected when people on here just want to be right and then resort to name calling when they aren't.

So why is Bama suffering so many injuries when they don't utilize a HUNH offense and play few HUNH offenses? Maybe it's because of the way Saban manages his program.

ie: the previous thread Bama and injuries, which didn't even go into players who had to quit football or go onto Medical Hardship scholarships while at Bama.
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...l-discussion/140706-because-about-safety.html

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omfg!!!!!!

l. o. l.

:popsdance:

You can't see that? OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apples to oranges!!!!!!!!

Hey I like doing that>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of emphasizes your point, doesn't it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is Bama suffering so many injuries when they don't utilize a HUNH offense and play few HUNH offenses? Maybe it's because of the way Saban manages his program.

ie: the previous thread Bama and injuries, which didn't even go into players who had to quit football or go onto Medical Hardship scholarships while at Bama.
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...l-discussion/140706-because-about-safety.html

So a couple of injuries as it relates to first round draft picks indicates a trend?

Are you serious?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule being discussed was proposed last year before Saban said anything about it, and the article linked in the OP directly says that Saban had nothing to do with it, and that the rules nearly passed last year but the vote was a tie. But yet, somehow even though the rule was proposed before Saban said anything, before Saban even spoke to the committee, it's all about Saban. Bullshit.

It's about Saban because Saban is the one who has opened his mouth about and is the only coach who asked to speak on the subject to the rules committee. Whether 'Bama fans like it or not, Saban never should have opened his mouth. As I've pointed out, there was nothing he could say about it that wouldn't sound self-serving. It also doesn't help that he's tried several different approaches besides the "safety issue".

You say Saban is self serving here, but all the football coaches who run the HUNH crying about Saban aren't? You call Saban a hypocrite, but I'm wondering if you even know what the word means. Maybe you can say Saban has an agenda, but being a hypocrite would be like - saying other coaches have an agenda while you yourself are worried about protecting your own form of offense. Which for some reason is celebrated among you.

First of all, no hunh coaches are not crying about Saban, they are mocking him. Second of all, I never called Saban a hypocrite. I said he comes off as self-serving (which he does).

And Saban is doing exactly what you say in the bolded part. Bottom line is that Saban and the hunh coaches are all trying to protect their own self-interests. Saban just happens to be the only one who actively tried to influence a potential rule change.

As I've pointed out before, USC has played basically the same pro-style type offense that 'Bama runs and has to deal with hunh offense more than 'Bama does. Yet, no USC coaches have ever complained about it or tried to influence a rule change. They have figured out ways to defend against it.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think the only HUNH teams Alabama played in the past 2 years were the ones we lost too? Was LSU secretly running HUNH in 2011 as well?

Maybe the rank of those teams and that they were pretty damn good teams had something to do with it? Last 4 losses in the past 3 years:

#2 Auburn.
#6 Oklahoma
#5 Texas A&M
#2 LSU

I think I see a theme going here. When Alabama gets ass raped to a team like 8-5 Arizona, maybe I'll think the HUNH part has more to do with it.

It's kind of funny you mention Tennessee as not being able to do something as evidence, regardless of how bad they were. And yet Alabama shut out a HUNH team in Ole Miss last year that was borderline top25. DURRRRRR!
Oh there is no doubt about it. Zona kicked the Ducks butts good.

The coaching staff and players are working hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

At least they aren't making shot up to why they lost and asking for rule changes to overcome last years lost.

I take pride in that fact, Shaw didn't ask for rule changes to overcome shortcomings. He figured it out and went out and executed it.

Lil ol Oregon is trying to remedy their short comings through perseverance and football philosophy. With head held high, their pride is intact. Attempting to overcome those very shortfalls outside of discussions with the NCAA to make rule changes in their benefit.