• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban draws comparisons to smoking heaters and the HUNH

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. Thinking back on player safety, it's clear they should have just shut the entire game down when they first realized we needed leather helmets. After all, we are no where near being a species that is intelligent enough to try and minimize the amount of injuries that happen to players while maintaining the integrity of the game itself.

Obviously the person who first cited the need for helmets just had a team full of pussies and needed them in order to compete as real men played without them.

This is a classic example of avoiding a question.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a classic example of avoiding a question.

Well, if you want a direct answer:

Studies have shown that extra games do not cause much extra injuries. What does cause more injuries are fatigued players during a game. When they play the next game, they are fresh and the injuries become less risk again.

In-game fatigue influences concussions in nat... [Res Sports Med. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

The number of concussions and other head injuries are increasing in the National Hockey League (NHL). The factors that may influence concussion risk in hockey remain largely unknown. In the current study, data on 787 NHL players from the 2001-2002 season were examined. It was found that a player's average ice time per game was a significant predictor of concussion. A player's total ice time for the season was not a significant predictor, however, and there was no significant difference found in the number of games played in the season between those who suffered a concussion and those who did not. These data suggest that in-game fatigue is an important factor when considering concussions.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you want a direct answer:

Studies have shown that extra games do not cause much extra injuries. What does cause more injuries are fatigued players during a game. When they play the next game, they are fresh and the injuries become less risk again.

In-game fatigue influences concussions in nat... [Res Sports Med. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

The number of concussions and other head injuries are increasing in the National Hockey League (NHL). The factors that may influence concussion risk in hockey remain largely unknown. In the current study, data on 787 NHL players from the 2001-2002 season were examined. It was found that a player's average ice time per game was a significant predictor of concussion. A player's total ice time for the season was not a significant predictor, however, and there was no significant difference found in the number of games played in the season between those who suffered a concussion and those who did not. These data suggest that in-game fatigue is an important factor when considering concussions.

I don't recall Nick referencing this study.

I thought according to him, more plays equals more injuries was just logical ?

Wouldn't an extra game equal more plays?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Glad to hear it. I can think of a certain VT fan who seems to get by with it alot. Maybe you can start with him and his drive by troll style then move on to others. I bet if we lookedat the threads for Content (actual football talk) this forum would be drained of threads due to lack of actual content and more about jimmy rustling by opposing teams fans.

Again just my two cents.

hBVOI.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall Nick referencing this study.

I thought according to him, more plays equals more injuries was just logical ?

Wouldn't an extra game equal more plays?

Classic example of avoiding the answer. Yes, more plays equals more risk.

But now you can just go back and read my original response.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you still haven't answered the question as it relates to Nick's hypocrisy.

Nick only referenced the "more plays" logic.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is the most basic of assumptions. More plays of the same type of plays would equal more injuries. The little evidence that has been collected showed that teams running more plays had less injuries. Likely as a result of spreading the field and reducing collisions. It is a fallacy to say more plays mean more injuries, unless you factor in the type of plays being run.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the most basic of assumptions. More plays of the same type of plays would equal more injuries. The little evidence that has been collected showed that teams running more plays had less injuries. Likely as a result of spreading the field and reducing collisions. It is a fallacy to say more plays mean more injuries, unless you factor in the type of plays being run.

I just showed you a study that showed more time in game = more injuries.

1 is not enough for you? Is this little evidence?

fatigue and sports injuries - Google Scholar

Have at it.

But I will have to conceede that Texas likely does have less injuries because your defense seems to do whatever it can to avoid collisions. Especially ones in the middle of the field.

Of course, the 1 bit of data you keep citing - which isn't even a study, only counted injuries that saw the player out the next week, didn't distinguish between offense and defense(because offense is allowed to sub when it wants, unlike the defense), didn't separate those defenses by the type of offenses they were playing, or do anything that would even remotely be considered things that would make it legitimate data points.

But because Saban has an agenda, real studies should have no bearing on the topic, but the limited data collection without any context as gathered by cfpmatrix should be considered the gold standard.

Yep, Saban is the only one with an agenda here. :laugh3:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to try again:

'Bama fans:

If he is concerned about player safety, then why is he only supporting/endorsing a rule change that benefits the style that his team plays?

There are many other options that he could endorse that would also help with player safety without getting rid of a style of offense that many fans like.

For example:

1.) Shorten the game. Instead of four 15 minute quarters, why not 12 minute quarters? College basketball (far less dangerous) plays two 20 minute halves as opposed to four 12 minute quarters like the NBA.

2.) How about a weight limit? The size and weight of some of these players (especially on the O and D lines) presents far more risk of injury and health issues both in the present and the future than the hunh.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has never Been about player safety. St Nick walked over a convulsing player while in Miami.

It is a self serving proposal.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to try again:

'Bama fans:

If he is concerned about player safety, then why is he only supporting/endorsing a rule change that benefits the style that his team plays?

There are many other options that he could endorse that would also help with player safety.

For example:

1.) Shorten the game. Instead of four 15 minute quarters, why not 12 minute quarters? College basketball (far less dangerous) plays two 20 minute halves as opposed to four 12 minute quarters like the NBA.

2.) How about a weight limit? The size and weight of some of these players (especially on the O and D lines) presents far more risk of injury and health issues both in the present and the future than the hunh.

You are so right, he should be out there trying to get football shut down completely. Why stop at 12 minutes? Is that some kind of magical point where you get less injuries than 15 minutes? Wouldn't 10 be even better? Well, anyone who says 10 minute quarters obviously don't care about player safety, because we can reduce that to 5 minute quarters and do even better!

No way in hell any coach can be serious about injuries.

And you are also so right about the weight limit. Smaller and weaker is obviously better, but unless you want to draw the line at people with the same build as those who run in track, then you probably odn't care about safety. Maybe they are too big even still, we could go further I'm sure.

Or here's a crazy idea. Maybe much like the reason they wear pads, helmets and have other rules for saftey, the goal isn't just to reduce player safety, but to reduce player safety while maintaining the integrity of the game itself. What a crazy concept that is.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have at it.

But I will have to conceede that Texas likely does have less injuries because your defense seems to do whatever it can to avoid collisions. Especially ones in the middle of the field.

Of course, the 1 bit of data you keep citing - which isn't even a study, only counted injuries that saw the player out the next week, didn't distinguish between offense and defense(because offense is allowed to sub when it wants, unlike the defense), didn't separate those defenses by the type of offenses they were playing, or do anything that would even remotely be considered things that would make it legitimate data points.

But because Saban has an agenda, real studies should have no bearing on the topic, but the limited data collection without any context as gathered by cfpmatrix should be considered the gold standard.

You keep missing the point. Your Hockey study was not something that Nick referenced.

The question at hand was about Nick's assumptions and reasoning and hypocrosy.

Not some generic non conclusive hockey study that was never brought up

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach that cares about football players ^^^^

Lmao

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have at it.

No one argues fatigue can lead to higher cases of muscle strain. Thanks for highlighting that. You are make all kinds of assumptions. Fatigue is higher in games with more plays. Type of play has 0 contribution to amount of physical fatigue a player feels. You are holding on to a small portion of the facts in order to bolster your argument, without taking notice of the bigger picture and factors involved.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep missing the point. Your Hockey study was not something that Nick referenced.

The question at hand was about Nick's assumptions.

Not some generic non conclusive hockey study.

So now only studies that Saban references can be used? :lol:
And this is why Alabama fans think people like you are haters. You don't give a shit about the topic, you just want to hate on the coach that's been kicking your ass these past years.

Hell, you should be grateful to Saban. If not for him beating the hell outta your coach at Florida, you wouldn't even have him right now.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or here's a crazy idea. Maybe much like the reason they wear pads, helmets and have other rules for saftey, the goal isn't just to reduce player safety, but to reduce player safety while limiting a style of offense that the person lobbying for change doesn't run What a crazy concept that is.

FIFY