• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rule V time of year.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not such a big roster crunch. Only about 3 of those guys really need to be protected. The rest might get drafted but I doubt any of them would stick for a whole year. We have guys on the 40 man that can be taken off too - such as xavier paul.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I could see some randoms like Colla, Lorin, or Pribanic being selected and sticking in a bullpen rule if they aren't protected, but it really wouldn't be a huge deal if they lost those type of guys. All in all, the Pirates shouldn't have a problem protecting whom they really want to keep.

I'd definitely protect Wilson, Marte, Owens, Mercer, and Hague.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 5 are the most logical to protect. Like stated I don't see any reason to keep Paul on the 40 man along with 5 catchers. Pagnozzi was brought in for depth late last year he should be removed very shortly.

Out of the rest who are left unprotected I can see a team taking a flyer on Alderson out of name and has been in a relief role or Moreno, even though very wild has the live arm.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 5 are the most logical to protect. Like stated I don't see any reason to keep Paul on the 40 man along with 5 catchers. Pagnozzi was brought in for depth late last year he should be removed very shortly.Out of the rest who are left unprotected I can see a team taking a flyer on Alderson out of name and has been in a relief role or Moreno, even though very wild has the live arm.

You sure called that one, thedddd.

Pagnozzi was designated today after the Pirates claimed some minor league catcher named Brian Jeroloman from the Blue Jays. They also claimed a minor league pitcher, Jeremy Hefner, from the Padres. Neither of these two guys looks very impressive.

The net result is that the number of openings on the 40-man roster was reduced from five to four by adding a couple of marginal players.

Hopefully, more moves are coming to clear some additional spots.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two moves make no sense. My remove Pagnozzi just to add another minor league filler C?

I have a feeling now if one of those 5 that element stated aren't protected they are gone in the rule V.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
fryer and paul were dfa'd

protected:
marte
hague
jordy mercer
duke welker
justin wilson
rudy owens

that fills the 40. next crisis please.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm.....

- Made sense to protect Marte, Hague, Mercer, Wilson, and Owens. However, according to most observers, Marte is the only blue-chipper there.

- I am totally unimpressed with Hefner and Jeroloman. Seems to me that these two guys are mere roster filler. Pagnozzi wasn't any good either, but it doesn't seem to make sense to replace him with Jeroloman.

- Paul and Fryer designated to make room? That seems a bit strange, as well, since it appears that Fryer has more potential (at least with the bat) than either Pagnozzi or Jeroloman. Paul is no big deal, but he seemed to be a decent reserve outfielder.

- Bottom line.....the 40-man roster doesn't seem to be a lot stronger.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So who gets the axe when we add Barmes?

By Mike Axisa [November 19, 2011 at 1:02pm CST]

1:02pm: The Pirates and Barmes are close to a deal according to SI.com's Jon Heyman (on Twitter).

12:35pm: The Pirates appear to be in the lead for Clint Barmes, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The Giants and Brewers have also been involved, and the free agent shortstop is likely to get a two-year contract.

Barmes, 33 in March, hit just .244/.312/.386 with a dozen homers for the Astros last season, but his primary value comes from his defensive skills. The various advanced metrics have rated his glovework at short as well above-average in recent years. The Pirates are in the market for a new shortstop after declining Ronny Cedeno's $3MM option for next season.

Tim Dierkes looked at Barmes' free agent stock last month, saying that Omar Infante's two-year, $8MM extension with the Marlins could serve as a decent comparable. Jamey Carroll's two-year, $6.75MM deal with the Twins reinforces the comparison.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They updated that just recently, suppose to be 2/11.

He's been a 2 war player 3 of the last 4 years, so thats a decent contract for the pirates, I just hope we spend the rest of our $$$ on 1 player(or at least most of it).

As for who goes, one of the two guys we just picked up, Ciraco or Veras is my best guess.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additional Random Thoughts

- Perhaps Huntington's strategy is to keep sub-par players on the 40-man roster intentionally..... so there's always someone he can cut if someone "better" comes along.

- Gotta wonder which of those "better" players are actually better. Is Barajas better than Doumit? Is Barmes better than Cedeno? Is he enough better to justify an additional $8 million commitment? Is Jeroloman better than Pagnozzi? Do any of those questions matter?

- If the Pirates actual contract with Barmes for $11 million over 2 years, that kind of clinches the idea that Hurdle is having heavy influence over personnel decisions. I'll reserve judgment about whether that's good or bad.

- Will the Pirates claim anyone in the Rule 5 draft? Will they lose anyone? Will it matter?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Barmes is signed it didn't take long for Jeroloman to be DFA'ed. I really didn't get that claim in the first place.