• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Moves

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com looks at a number of Orioles-related topics in his latest notebook. Kubatko notes that GM Dan Duquette told his colleague, MASN’s Steve Melewski, that there’s a “distinct possibility” that the team will select Chris Parmelee‘s contract from Triple-A, though as Kubatko notes, there’s no clear spot for the corner outfielder/first baseman on the roster. He also notes that catcher Steve Clevenger‘s defense has drawn rave reviews from Triple-A manager Ron Johnson. Baltimore optioned Clevenger to Triple-A, citing a need to improve his defense, and Clevenger has caught 12 of 34 base stealers (35%) this season.
  • Lastly, Kubatko wonders what will come of Everth Cabrera when he’s eligible to be activated from the disabled list. The team can clear a roster spot by optioning Rey Navarro, but they’ll also need a spot in the infield for Ryan Flaherty. Cabrera is out of options and can refuse his outright assignment but still collect his $2.4MM salary if the Orioles pass him through waivers, lending the possibility that a situation similar to that of Ryan Webb could come up in the near future.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting notes. Clevenger is hitting .306 now in AAA. Do we bring him up and cut Lavarnway who's hitting .136? If we did that give Joseph a few more days off who's been catching a ton and offense has been bad lately.

With the offense being awful lately do we bring up Parmelee from AAA who's hitting .338 with 3 homers to give us some spark? If so who goes? Lough is pretty much worthless, De Aza has been awful at the plate even though he's owed $5 Million.

Then we will need to do something with Cabrera after he finishes his rehab. He was hitting .208 with 0 homers, do we just cut him? Navarro hasn't been bad hitting wise. Keeping in mind we'll have to make another move with Flaherty gets back.

I think they need to do something to try and get the hitting going.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting notes. Clevenger is hitting .306 now in AAA. Do we bring him up and cut Lavarnway who's hitting .136? If we did that give Joseph a few more days off who's been catching a ton and offense has been bad lately.

With the offense being awful lately do we bring up Parmelee from AAA who's hitting .338 with 3 homers to give us some spark? If so who goes? Lough is pretty much worthless, De Aza has been awful at the plate even though he's owed $5 Million.

Then we will need to do something with Cabrera after he finishes his rehab. He was hitting .208 with 0 homers, do we just cut him? Navarro hasn't been bad hitting wise. Keeping in mind we'll have to make another move with Flaherty gets back.

I think they need to do something to try and get the hitting going.

we need to give nolan a true shot first or he will be gone in a month or so . dearza , lough , pearce , young no power all could go even snider is showing why no one wanted him .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
norris to dl wilson up . lets go wahoos

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to give nolan a true shot first or he will be gone in a month or so . dearza , lough , pearce , young no power all could go even snider is showing why no one wanted him .

I think Lough and De Aza will be first to go and they'll hang on to pearce to hope and can recreate what he did last year.

They also will need to figure out what to do with Cabrera and Flaherty.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lough and De Aza will be first to go and they'll hang on to pearce to hope and can recreate what he did last year.

They also will need to figure out what to do with Cabrera and Flaherty.
missing schoop he is a difference maker . parantes is working out at first ???????

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to move norris , hunter and matusz

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea losing Schoop was a tough blow. Hunter and Norris are both free agents after this year, if they don't turn it around I can see them being cut. Matuz has a 2.92 era and is under control until 2017 so I see them keeping him this year and maybe trying to trade at the deadline or in the off season.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea losing Schoop was a tough blow. Hunter and Norris are both free agents after this year, if they don't turn it around I can see them being cut. Matuz has a 2.92 era and is under control until 2017 so I see them keeping him this year and maybe trying to trade at the deadline or in the off season.
matusz makes to much money of the 10 fa oday is the only real keeper atm .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If money were no object, I'd advocate replacing the entire outfield (except for maybe Jones) with AAA call-ups immediately. Why? Because everyone is playing badly: In May so far, the Orioles' outfield is ranked 30th in OPS and 29th in FanGraphs WAR.

(In fact, you might as well replace almost every position player since there's nothing to lose when they're playing below replacement level as a group-- Apparently, this team's hitters as a whole is ranked 29th in OPS and 28th in FanGraphs WAR this month so far.)

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If money were no object, I'd advocate replacing the entire outfield (except for maybe Jones) with AAA call-ups immediately. Why? Because everyone is playing badly: In May so far, the Orioles' outfield is ranked 30th in OPS and 29th in FanGraphs WAR.

(In fact, you might as well replace almost every position player since there's nothing to lose when they're playing below replacement level as a group-- Apparently, this team's hitters as a whole is ranked 29th in OPS and 28th in FanGraphs WAR this month so far.)

yes our outfield sucks other than jones .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dearza dfa and ryan up great offense lmao

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea kinda expected with his awful bat and defense. Now get rid or Lough for Riemold or Parlmee.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea kinda expected with his awful bat and defense. Now get rid or Lough for Riemold or Parlmee.
parmelee has slowed of late but is better than snider . to be honest i would take nolan over young anyday of the week . young has made some good throws but his routes are pretty bad and as i have said before nolan is a natural rf . seems cab is next on the chopping block the o's wants to make sure that jj's back is fine . schoop has 10 ab on his road back .

tyler wilson gets his first start on thursday and wright goes in game 2 .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea kinda expected with his awful bat and defense. Now get rid or Lough for Reimold or Parmelee.

With De Aza DFA'ed, I guess the team needs to keep Lough as a back-up CF... I wouldn't mind replacing either Young or Snider with Reimold, though. As for Parmelee... he isn't hitting quite as well recently. (Part of me still wonders if he should replace Davis, though-- just look at his May stats.)

[EDIT: And Davis hits a homer just after I wrote the above. Hey, at least the reverse jinx worked!]

Last edited:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With De Aza DFA'ed, I guess the team needs to keep Lough as a back-up CF... I wouldn't mind replacing either Young or Snider with Reimold, though. As for Parmelee... he isn't hitting quite as well recently. (Part of me still wonders if he should replace Davis, though-- just look at his May stats.)

[EDIT: And Davis hits a homer just after I wrote the above. Hey, at least the reverse jinx worked!]
keep talking shit about davis he has alot to make up for ......:dhd::dhd::dhd::dhd: roch said the talk is the o's are to lhh atm . cab can also play cf if need be pretty sure nolan has also played cf before .

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give some credit to David Lough who is currently batting .280 and will need to patrol some CF while Jones is resting a bum ankle.

Nolan I think at one time was actually started his career playing both CF and RF almost to a 50/50 split. Played a bit more CF in his second year, but then got moved to the corners. 51 of his 566 career games in the minors were at CF, 366 of them have been in RF. He's never played CF in the majors.

When E. Cab comes back from the DL I think Navarro is the guy to go down. He really hasn't played much at all and Cabrera is a switch hitter with some speed and can play SS. Plus there is the money aspect. They are already eating some money by DFA-ing De Aza why they kept him I will never know.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give some credit to David Lough who is currently batting .280 and will need to patrol some CF while Jones is resting a bum ankle.

Nolan I think at one time was actually started his career playing both CF and RF almost to a 50/50 split. Played a bit more CF in his second year, but then got moved to the corners. 51 of his 566 career games in the minors were at CF, 366 of them have been in RF. He's never played CF in the majors.

When E. Cab comes back from the DL I think Navarro is the guy to go down. He really hasn't played much at all and Cabrera is a switch hitter with some speed and can play SS. Plus there is the money aspect. They are already eating some money by DFA-ing De Aza why they kept him I will never know.

E. Cab came back a week or so ago and they did option Navarro. Seems like he is back up and Flaherty will get most of the reps at 2nd.

Lough hasn't played much this year but him batting 357 over the last 7 games I think buck will play him more until he cools off. Young is hitting 295 with more than 3 times as many at bats as Lough so I don't see him being cut. Of course he has no power but either does Lough. He is also hitting 318 over the last 7 games.

Pearce has been bad all year minus some power. Would you dear to cut him? Only hitting 194 and 176 over last 7.

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoops, I fell asleep on that roster move. Forgot that E. Cab was playing just the other night and starting at 2B.

My OF scenario is if Nolan Reimold continues to hit well and force his way up on this roster. I think with Matt Wieters set to come back in a week that Clevenger will be sent back down. The only way that changes is if he continues to rake and his defense is just SO much improved that the Orioles think Joespeh would develop better by starting every day at AAA.

So, if Reimold comes back then obviously somebody needs to be moved. Of all the candidates I think Young is the one that is in most danger. He doesn't play defense all that well, he doesn't run well, and he's offered very little power so far this season. Reimold; if he returns to form, is a power-hitting potential starting LF'er. We really don't have a starting LFer right now. You obviously keep Adam Jones, Travis Snider is pretty much a lock to stay, and you need to keep Lough as your 4th OFer because he plays defense and can run.

Pearce may not be hitting well right now, but he's offered quite a bit of pop and drives in runs. I think he was getting over-exposed and isn't starting material. Last year he got 338 AB for the whole year, this season he's already got a third of that. He's kind of a redundant player right now because he plays 1B/DH/and either LF/RF in a pinch. The Orioles have a lot of those types of players. With Paredes hitting well that sort of makes a case against Pearce, but I don't think you can cut a guy who has hit 20+HR in a limited role. Even though he's only gotten 3 hits in his last 7 games, two of those were homers.

One thing that might be interesting is if Chris Davis does heat up and if the Orioles aren't in the thick of a race, they could seek to trade him. He is a FA at the end of the season and the price tag for him will go up if he turns in another 30HR and 90-100RBI season. The O's have some other young options waiting and could in the meantime give the job to Paredes or Pearce.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that might be interesting is if Chris Davis does heat up and if the Orioles aren't in the thick of a race, they could seek to trade him. He is a FA at the end of the season and the price tag for him will go up if he turns in another 30HR and 90-100RBI season. The O's have some other young options waiting and could in the meantime give the job to Paredes or Pearce.

I could see the O's looking to trade Davis and Chen if we fall off the race. However, with the AL East being as bad as it is I think it'll be close all year. Every team has a good amount of holes.