• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds injuries

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips' injury should have no negative effect on his game.
It's a thumb, not a wrist or a shoulder, or even an elbow.
Or a knee.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Votto ? No one seems to know, or at least they aren't saying.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Votto injury continues to puzzle me.
I think this team had a reasonable chance to win the NL-C had he been moderately productive.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not rational about Votto. I'd offer him a bat in one hand and a rope in the other- and telling him to choose one and lets get on with it. If he goes back to work, he keeps the cash, if he would rather be a swinger everyone loses, him, his family, his team, and the fans. The contract won't go to people that need and love him, it will go back into some other players pockets. Votto is wrong- all you have is better than none of what you have.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I was too unsympathetic to a malady I must not understand. There are more important things than baseball, I just wish they would come to the surface before they accept the big contract.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose we can look back at all the strange contracts in sports -- all the way back to the day Willard Hershberger did himself in during the 1940 season ... and to Jimmy Piersall going bananas ... now seeing in recent years the perils of paying players without actually asking how they got their numbers.
Manny Ramirez, Bonds, Braun, Sosa, McGwire, Cruz, Palmiero, (maybe) Ludwick, countless others.
Then there is Votto who went into melancholy after his father died in a bizarre story that really made the Reds front office look like henchmen from a Mengele support group.
Votto's 2010 suggested he was/is worth $225 million and, if one is to believe him, he intends to make good on his promise to earn it.
That's the problem again -- the front office playing cards with HIPAA and the fans' right to know, which really isn't any right at all. We are fans, and we have only ourselves to blame if we insist that these people do superhuman tasks so that we can raise our hands and give high-fives at the sports bar after the important victory.
I have personally experienced, as a fan, almost all of this team's success throughout its 140-some year history. If they never win another pennant, I have seen the best. And the worst. Mostly the ordinary. Just like this year ... I take the mediocrity too seriously.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning is an iffy play on perspective. The Reds have won only 5 World Series...but are among MLB leaders in that category. That's not many for the oldest franchise, especially considering they've only won 4 of those before the limitations of big market free agent money came along. I started noticing baseball in the mid 60's, became addicted with the BRM, but remember thinking they should have won more than they did...under appreciated until seeing mostly bad teams between them, the 90 team and the Castellini crew.

I think business demands winning at the gate first, and I think the Reds have done reasonably well at that- recently anyway, by just being competitive-another term of perspective...in my mind, that means you still have a chance to get into the post season until late- mid September or so. They'll try that ploy by getting Phillips and Votto back in time to sell a few more tickets I suspect. Unfortunate, but even mediocrity in MLB is expensive. They've done done things lately that are rare for the franchise- they've spent a lot of money on long term contracts for home team heroes...IMO, in large part PR- to sell those pre-season ticket packages, but maybe it puts pressure ultimately where a franchise that is really trying to win AND keep owners in the business of baseball really wants it- on the paying fans, and the performance of the players.

I think Reds fans have had a better performance year than Reds players this year. It's rare when it's not that way. I wasn't all that unhappy when the Reds lost the series in '70,'72, or playoffs in 73 or even 95...but was very unhappy with the playoff suicide by stupidity in '10,'12 and last year, and those teams weren't as good as the others...but were far better than they played, IMO.

I'd rather get beat than quit. Still some quit in this team, IMO. I don't mean the scrubs- it's not their fault- I'm talking about some of the highest paid Reds of all time on this team. Maybe too much ego and not enough pride. I don't like good losers. I prefer classy, humble winners, and embarrassingly dirty faced losers, dragged away scratching and biting. Some of these guys are too philosophical in losing.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto says he has "significant discomfort" after 5 minutes fielding groundballs. No shit. I have significant discomfort climbing stairs if I sit on the couch for two months. His quad was originally deemed to be a result of "atrophy", by definition, a degraded condition caused from lessened conditioning...either from limitations of injury and/or insufficient conditioning... In other words, he's sat on his ass too long. They ran Juan Francisco out of town for that, but of course he looked fat, and they didnt owe him a quarter billion dollars. Who helps this guy off the toilet ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My advice -- free -- is for Votto to re-evaluate his objectives.
Just leading the league in walks is fine.
If that's what we get, at least .... do that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to walk him through Over The Rhine and point out some depression suffering people not making a quarter of a billion dollars...might help flex that unused quad, too. Personally, I just want him to play, at the best of his ability. I don't like refusing when it pays the same as gutting it out... and I don't like guys that say they can't play not finding time to show up in a dugout anyway. It sends a bad message, IMO, to everyone-fans and teammates.

Jay Bruce said this was the most humiliating season of his life. I agree, but glad he both recognizes AND admits it...and he's showing up for more punishment every day. BP isn't hitting, but he got back ASAP. Latos isn't right, but he's not going to lay down. Hamilton has been a 160 lb hammy pull all season. Frazier has a wrenched back. I've never seen a catcher or shortstop in September that wasn't beat up...but they're all on duty.

Where's Joey ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good question.