• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reason # 954 That Mack Brown Should Be Fired

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly do not. Be VERY CAREFUL of what argument you are making here.....because your ignorance will expose you.

too late, he did that a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.....

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According Erik Burkhardt: "After this weekend, there will be 10 starting NFL Qbs (this year) who played High School football in Texas. NONE went to the University of Texas."

I've always been pissed that Auburn let Phillip Rivers get away but the above almost makes me feel better about it.

On the bright side Texas isn't recruiting 5 star QBs from Arkansas either (very bad idea and I will shoot the Auburn coach that signs another one).

Well, let's explore this premise:

1. Drew Brees - Left highschool in 1997. Brown did not start at Texas until 1998 - AFTER Brees has already signed with Purdue. Please tell me how this was Brown's fault?

2. Andy Dalton - Dalton only played 1 full season as qb in high school. In that season he threw 15ints. He was lucky to get an offer by TCU. He started in 2006 - when we had Vince Young and Colt McCoy. Vince and Colt > Andy Dalton.

3. Matt Flynn - This dude was only able to start 1 year as qb, and it took him being a 5th year senior to do that. Except for his last year he rotated between 2nd and 3rd string.

4. Nick Foles - We did recruit him (to play basketball). Dude was all over the place. Wanted to play football, wanted to play basketball. Turned us down in basketball. Commited to ASU; Then signed with Mich State; Then transfered to Arizona. Plus, as stated before we had a pretty decent guy by the name of Colt McCoy at that time. McCoy > Foles.

5. Case Keenum - This monster recruit was given offers by: Houston, UTEP, Baylor, North Texas. He then went on to go undrafted in the nfl. Also again, during his recruiting by these powerhouse schools, we had Vince Young playing and Colt McCoy waiting.

6. Andrew Luck - Was on a bee-line path the Stanford the entire way. We never had a chance at him.

7. Christian Ponder - Was going to Florida State all the way. His father played there and also played under Bobby Bowden. Plus, we had Colt McCoy. McCoy > Ponder.

8. Matthew Stafford - I don't know if we recruited him or not. However, why would he want to attend Texas and play backup for 3 years under McCoy when he could go to Georgia and start as a true freshman? Plus he grew up in Georga (only went to Texas for high school). His father went to Georgia. Nobody else had a chance.

9. Ryan Tannehill - You mean the wide receiver from aggies? Or the guy who played defensive back in high school?

Not sure who the 10th is. But this shows serious flaws in op argument. Also, were we supposed to have Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Ponder, Stafford, Tannehill, Keenum, Foles, and Dalton all starting at the same time?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is lazy hatred.

The whole theory is based on the falsehood that exceptional talents are willing to ride the benches for years.

If you have a youngster who is likely to be a 3 year starter, you simply cannot recruit 5 star backup players .

The truth is that Texas actually only has had 3 seasons since 2004 where they truly should have recruited QB.

2009, 2012, and 2013

These are the only real windows where Texas should have recruited a top stud.

Colt McCoy was a freshman starter.
He was a 2 time Heisman finalist and one of the best college players of all time.
Colt McCoy essentially limited the 2007 and 2008 options to lesser QBs.

2009 was the first year Texas honestly needed a QB.
They signed the #1 rated guy in the country.
He was heavily desired by every school in America.
Garrett Gilbert was tabbed to be a 3 year starter.
That essentially limited all the 2010 and 2011 prospects for the same reason as Colt.

2009 was the correct move. It just didn't pan out.

So, I think this argument only applies to the Texas born QBs from 2012, 2013 onwards....

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Texas fans.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's explore this premise:

1. Drew Brees - Left highschool in 1997. Brown did not start at Texas until 1998 - AFTER Brees has already signed with Purdue. Please tell me how this was Brown's fault?

2. Andy Dalton - Dalton only played 1 full season as qb in high school. In that season he threw 15ints. He was lucky to get an offer by TCU. He started in 2006 - when we had Vince Young and Colt McCoy. Vince and Colt > Andy Dalton.

3. Matt Flynn - This dude was only able to start 1 year as qb, and it took him being a 5th year senior to do that. Except for his last year he rotated between 2nd and 3rd string.

4. Nick Foles - We did recruit him (to play basketball). Dude was all over the place. Wanted to play football, wanted to play basketball. Turned us down in basketball. Commited to ASU; Then signed with Mich State; Then transfered to Arizona. Plus, as stated before we had a pretty decent guy by the name of Colt McCoy at that time. McCoy > Foles.

5. Case Keenum - This monster recruit was given offers by: Houston, UTEP, Baylor, North Texas. He then went on to go undrafted in the nfl. Also again, during his recruiting by these powerhouse schools, we had Vince Young playing and Colt McCoy waiting.

6. Andrew Luck - Was on a bee-line path the Stanford the entire way. We never had a chance at him.

7. Christian Ponder - Was going to Florida State all the way. His father played there and also played under Bobby Bowden. Plus, we had Colt McCoy. McCoy > Ponder.

8. Matthew Stafford - I don't know if we recruited him or not. However, why would he want to attend Texas and play backup for 3 years under McCoy when he could go to Georgia and start as a true freshman? Plus he grew up in Georga (only went to Texas for high school). His father went to Georgia. Nobody else had a chance.

9. Ryan Tannehill - You mean the wide receiver from aggies? Or the guy who played defensive back in high school?

Not sure who the 10th is. But this shows serious flaws in op argument. Also, were we supposed to have Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Ponder, Stafford, Tannehill, Keenum, Foles, and Dalton all starting at the same time?

RGIII was the 10th......they guy NOBODY outside of Art Briles offered as a QB. Also, Luck didn't want to compete with Gilbert as he was the much higher regarded QB prospect NATIONWIDE.

But you know, we clearly missed on all those guys, LOL

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many top Florida quarterbacks are going to sign with Florida State now?

Will the Seminoles get blasted for missing out on guys because they have a freshman sensation that is going to clog up the depth chart for 3 years??

It is the same thing.

Famous Jameis is going to cause top high school florida qbs to play elsewhere.

This is not some thing that only applies to Texas.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack should have developed a 3-quarterback offense. Then he could have recruited more 5-stars.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill was recruited as a QB but switched to receiver when he lost to Jerrod Johnson.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill was recruited as a QB but switched to receiver when he lost to Jerrod Johnson.
I still have no idea why Miami picked him for their first pick they could have gotten him with their second pick if they had just played it a little less obvious.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack should have developed a 3-quarterback offense. Then he could have
recruited more 5-stars

Why stop at only 3?

Mack should start 11 quarterbacks on offense.

Since there are so many quarterbacks from Texas all about the same age, clearly they should all be on the same team.

The reality is that TEXAS has had essentially 5 starters since 2001.

Chris Simms, Vince Young, and Colt McCoy all made it to the NFL and played at least 4 seasons.
Garret Gilbert and David Ash are still in college.
Ash has an outside longshot. Gilbert is unlikely.

Getting his quarterbacks to the NFL is the least of Mack's problems.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am OK with the title. Some of this is weak, but I am more concerned with the terrible roster management. Skipping a QB the yr prior to GG. Annoying Luck because he was ignored at Junior Days. GG had to be recruited, but anointing him hurt the program

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about the smu QB???

i know smu is terrible but hes putting up decent stats on a talentless team

the stats are worthless here. Have you watched one of his games?

I mean, he's a good kid and all, but, the stats here are fools gold.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Hate!
Texas Hate!
It's something we have to Take!
Because are Texas.