• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rear View Camera - Mandatory?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think rear view camera's are great. But I'm not sure I want to mandate every car and truck have one. There is a market for cheap vehicles and this is another additional cost that I'm not so sure the life savings is as great as described by the Auto Safety groups. Here's a little from the article:

"The federal government said it will recommend that new cars have rear-view video systems, a move immediately denounced as "insufficient" by safety groups who say the cameras should be mandatory.

The NHTSA action "is an inadequate substitute for issuing a mandatory safety regulation," Jackie Gillan, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, said in a statement. "In fact, safety advocates are concerned that NHTSA's announcement is an attempt to divert attention from their failure to act."

DOT, safety advocates feud over rear-view camera recommendation - CNN.com

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has it become to hard to just turn around and look where you are going.

has it all of a sudden become a much to complex operation to look backwards and reverse your thinking vs the steering wheel.

what happened to walking around your car before you get in it to check to see if you are clear of any obstacles and that your tires aren't flat.

I'm sorry that those parents backed over their own kids, but why didn't thy know where they were in the first place?? and out of the way, and out of danger??

It's blaming the car for the accident instead of the people. It's the same attitude that guns kill people and forks make people fat.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get so mad about these "moms want" stories. This mom let's her kid get out of the house and dad runs her over. Yeah, it's horrible. But demanding everyone else spend 1000 bucks on a camera when many don't need one is fascist.

I'm sure she feels terrible about HER fuck-up. But this is no way to deal...reassigning guilt.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
once you use them.... you like them.
at least in my 2012 ford fusion.

I want it my new ford fusion...

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like having one on my truck that I use to watch my trailer. Couple times I have seen a loose strap or hold down on one of my snowmobiles and pulled over to snug it down. Just for the peace of mind, worth every penny.

Mandated though? no.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wake up people. George w bush started this a long time ago. vehicles today would be $10 less if the government didn't mandate all this crap that we don't need.

I have a backup camera and I love it. in no way should the government have authority to mandate it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has it become to hard to just turn around and look where you are going.

has it all of a sudden become a much to complex operation to look backwards and reverse your thinking vs the steering wheel.

what happened to walking around your car before you get in it to check to see if you are clear of any obstacles and that your tires aren't flat.

I'm sorry that those parents backed over their own kids, but why didn't thy know where they were in the first place?? and out of the way, and out of danger??

It's blaming the car for the accident instead of the people. It's the same attitude that guns kill people and forks make people fat.

The problem is that more and more companies are making their cars larger and also raising the belt line (or cheat line) to make cars look more sporty. So the back ends are getting larger with larger blind spots.

I'm all for this. It actually only costs like $200 to buy and install a backup camera, even cheaper if incorporated into the car. It shouldn't add much more to the cost of a car than a radio.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like having one on my truck that I use to watch my trailer. Couple times I have seen a loose strap or hold down on one of my snowmobiles and pulled over to snug it down. Just for the peace of mind, worth every penny.

Mandated though? no.

You can activate yours any time? Thats cool. I thought they activated on reverse.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm installing one on my front bumper to help me squeeze into tight spots. I'm always scared to death that I'll bump into something and scratch my baby.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batshit crazy.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get so mad about these "moms want" stories. This mom let's her kid get out of the house and dad runs her over. Yeah, it's horrible. But demanding everyone else spend 1000 bucks on a camera when many don't need one is fascist.

I'm sure she feels terrible about HER fuck-up. But this is no way to deal...reassigning guilt.

Pretty much. We had a thing in the UK a couple years back where a kid choked to death after getting wrapped in the cord of a window blind. His parents wanted to ban blinds with cords. For once the government listened to common sense there.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents have it in there Maruano (spelling?) and they like it BUT it fogs up like crazy and when any drop of rain gets on it the thing is useless. I get we have the technology to do it but why are we taking the human element (reaction, thinking, etc) out of driving a car?

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

What happened to the old fashioned turning around and checking your surroundings to see what's behind you, next to you, etc? Yes this probably works well for small child that are shorter than the actual car but still this is like taking personal responsibility away from people.

"Oh, I hit your kid..... well blame the camera and not human operator error."

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rearview cameras- pointless and just one more thing to break....do like we were taught in drivers ed, pivot your shoulders, turn your head and look behind you

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new car has one, and it is discombobulating. I don't trust it in the slightest, so I still turn around. I can see the big draw for a truck or minivan where you can't see below you but I still look behind my car getting in and then turn around or use mirrors.

Maybe I'll get used to it, but so far I don't even use it. If it were like the Infinity one I might use it more, it shows the tracks based on your steeringwheel about where you are projected to go.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pickup has a rear view camera and I love it. Also has beeper-buttons; need them also. That said, really don't think they need to be mandatory. I'm never happy when government gets in the way of people's business. That said, the cost of those things are cheap, or should be cheap. I once installed one on an old truck; think it cost about $100.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever we do, lets make sure we turn them (cars) into rolling computers.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO NON-HACKABLE CARS!!!!

Get yer old dilapidated POS off the road, geezer!!

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new car has one, and it is discombobulating. I don't trust it in the slightest, so I still turn around. I can see the big draw for a truck or minivan where you can't see below you but I still look behind my car getting in and then turn around or use mirrors.

Maybe I'll get used to it, but so far I don't even use it. If it were like the Infinity one I might use it more, it shows the tracks based on your steeringwheel about where you are projected to go.

I have one on my vehicle and it was discombobulating to me at first, as well. Over the past couple of years I have become much more comfortable with it. What worries me about them is that I fear that too many people will rely solely on them and not turn and look as well. They shouldn't be used exclusively, but as an additional resource. Nothing should take the place of turning and looking out the window with your own two eyes.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Federal Government enacted a law today requiring that all idiots leave their house in the morning completely encased in bubble-wrap for their own safety. The rest of us can simply watch what is going on around us, and act accordingly.