• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic Trade Deadline targets

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious what everyone thinks about this. Yes, I know its early, but I am curious about the thoughts of everyone.

Of course every big name is tied to the Dodgers, so it gets annoying reading every so called experts opinion on the matter. I personally think we:

1. Get a front line starter.
2. Above average relief pitcher.

I would like to stay away from Cueto for sure and Hamels as well. I don't want a rent a pitcher for sure. A lot of this might depend if we sign Yadier Alvarez and IF he could come in and start.

Of course I would like to trade for Sonny Gray but that isn't happening...LOL.

Thoughts???

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you want to stay away from Hamels?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not exactly known for "winning" trades. He's only known for making absolutely ridiculous demands in trades which prevents the trades from happening. That shouldn't eliminate Hamels as a realistic trade deadline target, though. He can ask for whatever, the Dodgers will just say no. There are smart people on the Dodgers-half of this conversation.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you said you don't want to trade for a rental ("for sure"), but guess what... those are the guys who are most available in trades. You said you wanted realistic options. You can't have both of those things at the same time, while still excluding Cole Hamels.

Well, here are the starters who will be free agents this winter (minus guys who are on the Dodgers and Jhoulys Chacin - who is a free agent right now):

Chad Billingsley (31)
Clay Buchholz (31) – $13MM club option with a $245K buyout
Mark Buehrle (37)
A.J. Burnett (39)
Trevor Cahill (28) – $13MM club option with a $300K buyout
Chris Capuano (37)
Wei-Yin Chen (30)
Bartolo Colon (43)
Johnny Cueto (30)
Ross Detwiler (30)
R.A. Dickey (41) – $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Marco Estrada (32)
Doug Fister (32)
Gavin Floyd (33)
Yovani Gallardo (30)
Jaime Garcia (29) – $11.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jeremy Guthrie (37) – $10MM mutual option with a $3.2MM buyout
J.A. Happ (33)
Aaron Harang (38)
Dan Haren (35)
Tim Hudson (40)
Hisashi Iwakuma (35)
Scott Kazmir (32)
Kyle Kendrick (31)
Ian Kennedy (31)
John Lackey (37)
Mat Latos (28)
Mike Leake (28)
Cliff Lee (37) – $27.5MM club/vesting option with a $12.5MM buyout
Tim Lincecum (32)
Kyle Lohse (37)
Corey Luebke (31) – $7.5MM club option with a $1.75MM buyout
Justin Masterson (31)
Brandon Morrow (31)
Bud Norris (31)
Mike Pelfrey (32)
David Price (30)
Ricky Romero (31) – $13.1MM club option with a $600K buyout
Jeff Samardzija (31)
Alfredo Simon (35)
Ryan Vogelsong (38)
Jerome Williams (34)
Chris Young (37)
Jordan Zimmermann (30)

Here is that list trimmed down to pitchers who are any good (in my opinion):

Clay Buchholz (31) – $13MM club option with a $245K buyout
A.J. Burnett (39)
Johnny Cueto (30))
Doug Fister (32)
Gavin Floyd (33)
Yovani Gallardo (30)
Jaime Garcia (29) – $11.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Scott Kazmir (32)
Mike Leake (28)
Brandon Morrow (31)
David Price (30)
Jeff Samardzija (31)
Alfredo Simon (35)
Jordan Zimmermann (30)

Here is that list trimmed of players who are on playoff contenders (as of right now, including wild card spots). The Red Sox aren't in contention at the moment, but I eliminated Buchholz anyways - he's not really a free agent this winter and his contract is a no-brainer to get picked up. There you go - six realistic starting pitchers to target at the deadline.:

Johnny Cueto (30)
Gavin Floyd (33)
Scott Kazmir (32)
Mike Leake (28)
Brandon Morrow (31)
Jeff Samardzija (31)

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's necessary to trade for a reliever. Not so much that I don't think it could help the team to add an elite type of reliever (Aroldis Chapman, come on down!), but rather that I don't think the bullpen is some glaringly weak achilles heel. No, they aren't perfect, but Baez and Peralta have also been hurt most of the season. They're back now, but then Paco is out for awhile (still have Liberatore and Howell as lefties).

There's surely a very good case to be made that the Dodgers would stand to benefit from adding an elite reliever at the deadline, but I believe in the organizational depth. If they add cheap relievers who are of the AAAA-type (similar to the type of arms they got in the Uribe/Callaspo deal), then yeah I'm all for that no matter what shape the bullpen is in.

Adding a starter (or two!) is an absolute must, though. Don't count on any of the July 2 Cubans as possible contributors, either. Not this season.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's necessary to trade for a reliever. Not so much that I don't think it could help the team to add an elite type of reliever (Aroldis Chapman, come on down!), but rather that I don't think the bullpen is some glaringly weak achilles heel. No, they aren't perfect, but Baez and Peralta have also been hurt most of the season. They're back now, but then Paco is out for awhile (still have Liberatore and Howell as lefties).

There's surely a very good case to be made that the Dodgers would stand to benefit from adding an elite reliever at the deadline, but I believe in the organizational depth. If they add cheap relievers who are of the AAAA-type (similar to the type of arms they got in the Uribe/Callaspo deal), then yeah I'm all for that no matter what shape the bullpen is in.

Adding a starter (or two!) is an absolute must, though. Don't count on any of the July 2 Cubans as possible contributors, either. Not this season.

Agreed. Another good reliever right now would be a luxury not a necessity.

Obviously need another starter or two.