• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host Dodgers For Three Games July 21-23

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should clarify - I was talking about free agency. If they want him, I prefer they just wait and sign him.

I wouldn't even do it then because of how much money they "couldn't" spend to put a good team around him... :nod:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't take it with you, and banners hang forever!

If you get that far, he's one line drive/hit by pitch from being a non-player again...

In fact how much have the Rangers already flushed down the toilet with the DeGrom contract that could have been spent in better ways??? :nod:

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on this, I do wonder if there's a "ceiling" to how much teams will offer. It's possible that the Angels accept the best offer they get in order to be able to walk away with something. And I'm sure fans of every other team will be pissed that their team didn't beat the offer.
The only team I can think of that would pay whatever it takes to get him is the Yankees because they’re desperate

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked back at some of the posts on here about Ohtani back when he was a free agent the first time. One thing I got was that most seemed to expect him to DH a few times between starts. I didn't come across anything that indicated that there were any teams that would not let him hit.

There were seven teams that he agreed to interview with. I think that probably gives some insight into who would be the leading candidates to sign him this coming offseason.

Below are some excerpts from those older posts:

Only the Dodgers, Giants, Angels, Padres, Mariners, Rangers and Cubs will receive meetings with Ohtani.

‐--------------------------------

"The Rangers have been preparing for this since they tried to sign Ohtani out of high school. They have long established a strong presence in Japan through top scouts Joe Furukawa and Hajime Watabe, and assistant general managers Josh Boyd and Mike Daly. Daniels has made multiple trips to Japan."

'"It's a process that we are years into, not days or weeks or months," Daniels said. "This is a player that has interested us at a high level for an extended period of time. This is not something that just came about."'

---------------------------------------

Favorable DH situation
"The Rangers have a designated hitter in Shin-Soo Choo, but he is not interested in the role on a full-time basis. The answer could be a shared arrangement with Ohtani being the designated hitter 1-2 times between starts and Choo in the outfield on those occasions. The Rangers need the pitcher, but have said they are willing to explore ways to use Ohtani's hitting talents."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now, that would be sweet.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get that far, he's one line drive/hit by pitch from being a non-player again...

In fact how much have the Rangers already flushed down the toilet with the DeGrom contract that could have been spent in better ways??? :nod:
That was something everyone knew could and probably would happen.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only team I can think of that would pay whatever it takes to get him is the Yankees because they’re desperate
Their problem for the most part is they load up offense and piece a pitching staff together except Cole.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers are going to try and sign Ohtani this offseason, then they need to keep that in mind at the deadline.

They won't be able to sign any other quality free agent with his contract on the books. That being the case, they had better hold onto as many prospects as they can because they are going to need them to fill vacancies on the team in the future.

That means you need to hang onto just about any prospect who can play anywhere besides SS and 3B.

That means being very careful about who you trade in the next couple of weeks.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it’s premature to give up on deGrom at this point. Eovaldi had 2 TJ surgeries, and he’s dominating. He very likely won’t be able to live up to the $$ and years involved, but I think he can still be a very viable top of rotation guy for 2-3 years.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they'd be extremely stupid to pony up that much cash and prospects to begin with, even the Padres figured out they phucked up acquiring Soto... :nod:
Soto and Ohtani are two different situations altogether. Soto was already declining/struggling big time before that trade. He was hitting in the low .200’s with mediocre fielding and only the walks to hold his OPS upright. The warning signs were there that he wasn’t worth a boatload of top prospects. He got worse upon arriving in SD and only recently has begun to look a little more like the promising stud he once was. That trade was doomed from the start.

Ohtani is dominating like no other, and he’s doing it on both sides of the ball. He would be the one player (with the exception of maybe Acuna Jr) for whom you could feel comfortable trading a huge haul.

However, I do agree with you in principle. No player is worth gutting your Top 10 for… not even Ohtani… for 2 months.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foscue isn't in the lineup for Round Rock tonight. Is it too early to start reading too much into these type things? Lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foscue isn't in the lineup for Round Rock tonight. Is it too early to start reading too much into these type things? Lol
Hope so.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked back at some of the posts on here about Ohtani back when he was a free agent the first time. One thing I got was that most seemed to expect him to DH a few times between starts. I didn't come across anything that indicated that there were any teams that would not let him hit.

There were seven teams that he agreed to interview with. I think that probably gives some insight into who would be the leading candidates to sign him this coming offseason.

Below are some excerpts from those older posts:

Only the Dodgers, Giants, Angels, Padres, Mariners, Rangers and Cubs will receive meetings with Ohtani.

‐--------------------------------

"The Rangers have been preparing for this since they tried to sign Ohtani out of high school. They have long established a strong presence in Japan through top scouts Joe Furukawa and Hajime Watabe, and assistant general managers Josh Boyd and Mike Daly. Daniels has made multiple trips to Japan."

'"It's a process that we are years into, not days or weeks or months," Daniels said. "This is a player that has interested us at a high level for an extended period of time. This is not something that just came about."'

---------------------------------------

Favorable DH situation
"The Rangers have a designated hitter in Shin-Soo Choo, but he is not interested in the role on a full-time basis. The answer could be a shared arrangement with Ohtani being the designated hitter 1-2 times between starts and Choo in the outfield on those occasions. The Rangers need the pitcher, but have said they are willing to explore ways to use Ohtani's hitting talents."

probably just scuttlebutt I picked up somewhere back then

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very scary.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn hate the fact that it’s the Dodgers and we’re going with Heaney and Perez in 2 of the games