• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanksgiving is an ironic term in reference to the White Sox the last couple of years.

I mean this sincerely as a fan - If the White Sox manage to put together a team that hustles - makes professional decisions on the field - a bunch of guys who like each other and play like the game is fun - I can root for that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benetti is a fantastic announcer. Love when he calls college ftball and basketball gms but I found him unbearable during sox gms. The A whole Stone and him bad jokes/cringy banter wasn’t for me
Call it coincidence, but for the 3rd straight week I've watched a college football game in which Benetti has called the game. He really does have the perfect voice and style for this.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call it coincidence, but for the 3rd straight week I've watched a college football game in which Benetti has called the game. He really does have the perfect voice and style for this.

Did I read it right that Benetti left us...for the Tigers? THE F*CKING TIGERS?!?

Jesus Christ White Sox....

raw

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I've been reading, Cease seems to be all but a sure goner, with Jimenez right behind him, especially if Getz receives an appealing offer for him.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I've been reading, Cease seems to be all but a sure goner, with Jimenez right behind him, especially if Getz receives an appealing offer for him.
Cease is gone for sure. the difference between "Retooling" and "Rebuild" appears to be that under retooling the prospects you get in trades are AAA or better in their progress to MLB regular. I think someone will overpay for Cease and someone will get Jimenez at a value price.

I hope the Sox don't trade Cease to Atlanta - if so - the Sox will have acquired most of the Atlanta Braves B Team in Spring Training.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cease is gone for sure. the difference between "Retooling" and "Rebuild" appears to be that under retooling the prospects you get in trades are AAA or better in their progress to MLB regular. I think someone will overpay for Cease and someone will get Jimenez at a value price.

I hope the Sox don't trade Cease to Atlanta - if so - the Sox will have acquired most of the Atlanta Braves B Team in Spring Training.
I'm fine with Getz using a balance between retooling and rebuilding. I understand as the first year GM he doesn't want to see the Sox at the bottom of the barrel for the next X number of years. But at the same time just trading for retreads will accomplish jack squat. We don't have a roster that's just a few key vets away from being a contender. He needs to build an infrastructure. So I'm hoping no matter which team possibly acquires Cease and to a lesser extent Jimenez, those trades would lean heavier on the prospect side of the equation.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Getz using a balance between retooling and rebuilding. I understand as the first year GM he doesn't want to see the Sox at the bottom of the barrel for the next X number of years. But at the same time just trading for retreads will accomplish jack squat. We don't have a roster that's just a few key vets away from being a contender. He needs to build an infrastructure. So I'm hoping no matter which team possibly acquires Cease and to a lesser extent Jimenez, those trades would lean heavier on the prospect side of the equation.
I don't think the guys the Sox got from the braves are retreads - They were scratch off lottery tickets - for a guy the Sox and the fans didn't want to keep. They give the Sox depth in the 40 man they didn't have and if they need to fill in on the field - they can field and run the bases.

I do expect the Sox to get the major trades done soon - so they can concentrate on the low end FA market and the street FAs.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getz hired on Josh Barefield and Brian Bannister as his top assistants. I think Barefield is a good hire and I'm glad he is around. But Brian Bannister had success with the Red Sox and also success with the Giants in finding pitchers in the throw away pile - gives them some slammer jammer about baseball data and changes a few things - tells them what part of the strike zone to concentrate on when pitching and rolls them out there for a pretty good year. The Sox dressed up his title to be Director of Pitching, but Bannister came over in a lateral move. I think getting Bannister was a big coup by the White Sox whether they knew what they were doing or not.

I admire Getz for having the cool and smarts enough to hang on to Dylan Cease - through the first wave of offers. Cease's value ratchets up after the big Free Agents sign - because now the teams that haven't done anything need to do something to convince the fans - they are keeping up - and teams that have signed a Free Agent or made a trade - might start to think they one more deal and they are over the top. Getz will have more leverage - at least he hasn't fallen into a rookie trap and traded ahead of the market high point.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire Getz for having the cool and smarts enough to hang on to Dylan Cease - through the first wave of offers. Cease's value ratchets up after the big Free Agents sign - because now the teams that haven't done anything need to do something to convince the fans - they are keeping up - and teams that have signed a Free Agent or made a trade - might start to think they one more deal and they are over the top. Getz will have more leverage - at least he hasn't fallen into a rookie trap and traded ahead of the market high point.
I'm with you on this. From what I gather, Getz was willing to pull the trigger if there was any team out there equally willing to overpay. Because no one bit on that, at least not yet, Getz was smart to pull back and let the free agents/major trades dust settle a bit. I'm still on the side of the view that wanted the Sox to completely clean house, but I have to also admit that so far Getz has impressed. Like you said, he's not jumping at every little opportunity to justify his first year status as GM. There's something to be said about demonstrating patience, especially in one's first year at the helm.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getz' job for this year is really pretty easy - he just needs to beat the very low bar of a 100 loss season.

I thought it was odd that the Dodgers traded for 2b Trey Simmons from the Yankees. It's odd because the Dodgers installed Mookie Betts at 2nd base till the end of time (on his contract). Simmons has more power than the Dodger prospect 2nd baseman they traded to the Yankees. If Simmons is any good he is going to be capped off by Mookie Betts playing 2nd. I was wondering if acquiring Simmons was a Dodger maneuver to help sweeten the pot in a trade for Cease.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it went down like this:

Uncle Jerry - turned to Getz and said - "what would you do if you were in control of the White Sox?"

Getz said: "I can get us a pitcher out of Korea for two years for $15 million."

"You're in charge now boy!"

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Soximus for the rest of us!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot think of a single upcoming Chicago sports team that I have given less of a sh*t about going into the season than the upcoming 2024 Chicago White Sox. We are going to get our asses blasted all season long and I'm just not gonna be suckered into thinking anything else this time around.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot think of a single upcoming Chicago sports team that I have given less of a sh*t about going into the season than the upcoming 2024 Chicago White Sox. We are going to get our asses blasted all season long and I'm just not gonna be suckered into thinking anything else this time around.

i'm sure you're not alone. i think the sox will lose a lot of income (and fans ... some permanently) this coming season and beyond thanks to this horror of an owner.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One theory is Tony La Russa is a secret vampire who sucked all the energy out of a group of players known as "Ricky's kids" who played for fun - had fun - and had the reputation for never giving up on the game.