• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams vs Falcons - predictions

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I think we have a shot here.

The Falcons are loaded at the skill positions. Their weakness is their O-line. They are going to pass on us, and going to make some big plays. But if this d-line continues and Walton calls an aggressive game plan, Matt Ryan can be pressured into mistakes.

Defensively, the Falcons are middle of the pack - no great strengths, no great weaknesses. We probably will be one dimensional again until we can get a running game going, but our O-line is playing well and Sam will likely have time to pick apart their zone. The key will be getting to paydirt in the Red Zone, which has been a weakness for the Rams the last few years.

Steve Jackson might be the difference maker here - especially in blitz pickup and the ability to wear down a defense. If Atlanta doesn't bring a healthy dose of the run, they could be in trouble. Their line I'd say is below average, especially on the right side.

The matchup:

QB: slight edge to Ryan. His stats are a lot better, but then so are his recievers.
RB: moderate edge to Falcons
OL: moderate edge to Rams (hard to believe I'm typing that!)
WR: moderate to big edge to Falcons, as the Rams have potential there but need to realize it, and that still might take more time
TE: at this point, I'd say that's a pick'em - Gonzalez is of course one of the best of all time, but these days he's above average. We saw how dangerous Cook can be.

DL: Big edge Rams
LB: Pick'em - Weatherspoon is the real deal, but Laurinitis has impact beyond his stats.
DB: Pick'em - Rams corners are better, I liked what I saw out of our safeties but they are still raw, and I'd rather have the Birds S than ours at this early point in the season.

Kicking: Legatron gets the nod there
Returners: Slight edge to the Rams - Austin is going to break a couple this year. but our KR is nothing special
Coverage: honestly don't know, so probably a pick'em.

Coaching - I don't really trust the Falcons coaches. I'll give a slight nod to Fisher here.

Prediction: Rams 27, Falcons 24. The Falcons can't get to Bradford and he picks them apart, Jacksons has a big game, but Ryan folds over an intense pass rush in the 4th quarter. Legatron kicks the game winner, and the Falcons run out of time on a sack to end the game on the Rams 45.

Your turn. :D

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be a blowout on either side of the ball. I'd have to give the edge to the Falcons because they just came off a close loss and they're going to be hungry. Plus SJ39 will have them pumped up for this game. I see a close game until the 4th quarter then the Falcons winning by 10-13 points. I'd hate to say that because I feel like we have a real good shot at winning this game but we lack the experience to win 2 in a row this early in the season, being on the road, and with all the inexperience we have at the skill positions. I think with a tea like Atlanta it will be too much for us to overcome.

Falcons 34 Rams 21 (will be 28 - 21 going into the 4th)
or
Rams 24 Falcons 21

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+: Rams defensive line should be able to get pressure on Matt Ryan and stuff Jackson on many attempts
+: Rams special teams were excellent last week. On paper, this should remain an advantage.
+: Roddy White has a lingering injury which might limit a top 10 WR
?: Rams will be spending less time in nickel packages to deal with Tony G and Jackson. Not sure how our LBs will match up with the HOFers but they should be able to keep them from getting big plays.
?: Pead is back and we'll likely run the ball more
?: Like Arizona, ATL seems to have 4 about redchip talents on defense (Osi, Babinaux, Spoon, Moore) but unlike Arizona, they don't have a Patrick Peterson
-: Atlanta has legit home field advantage and we love to jump offsides
-: Still can't believe Jeff Fisher challenged a spot on the 1 yesterday. He might be great at coaching guys up but he worries me a bit in crunch time.
-: We are going to have to double Julio Jones all game

As long as we don't have any boneheaded pick 6 plays or fumbles for touchbacks, we should be able to be competitive in this game. Atlanta is really good but I'm somewhat hopeful

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one big edge I see is that the Saints got consistent pressure on Ryan - the right side of their Oline is unsettled. Their RT will be playing his second start ever, and their RG is limited athletically and also relatively new. If the Saints without their best pass rusher can get to him the Rams should be able to apply a good amount of pressure while remaining in a balanced defense. That will go a long way toward neutralizing the Falcons WR advantage.

The Saints racked up 3 sacks with such household names as Parys Haralson, Akiem Hicks, and Junior Gilette. The Rams should be able to do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of match up that calls for turning the dogs loose. Go on a blitzkrieg. A heavy dose of Quinn...pressure pressure pressure. I'm a little worried about SJ but not all that much. I think the Rams surprise everyone and wins this game... :hope:

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it will be a close game but the Falcons are good at home. problem with them being at home though, it is a dome and turf and the Rams are faster then they are. Rams 24 Falcons 20.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a field day for Quinn and perhaps Laurinaitus. I am going against conventional wisdom and I think Rams play a better game and take this one in close match. Look for Zuerlein to be a deciding factor.

Counselor Chris

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will lose, no doubt in my pessimistic mind.

They're weak in terms of o-line and defense but they have so much good wide outs to have a field day with our secondary, and when they get tired they have Steven Jackson to ram it down our throats(no pun intended)

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember Roddy White is not at 100%, so he won't be effective although Douglass is a good WR also. Gonzalez might be a problem for us too. What I don't get is why our CBs are playing off the WR every play. I guess the D REALLY wants to prevent big plays. I think we will win though. Our D is better than theirs. They have an average D at best. If our pass rush bothers Ryan we could force him into an INT or two. My concerns are SJax fatiguing our D and if DRich or (sigh) Pead can get the running game started.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I disagree with the pessimism. I think Finnegan and Jenkins are going to provide their WRs with all that they can handle and I think we will wear down SJ before he wears us down. Don't forget that SJ does have some gas left in the tank but not has much as our younger players we have on D. The only way we lose this game is if we come out flat and make a boat load of mistakes. Then Atlanta will win.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RAMS 27 Falcons 24

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all seem to be at a consensus as to winner and score.... I think 27-24 on a last drive FG by Legatron seems about par for the course for us. SJ39 runs for 100, but Ryan does not do much because of the pressure we will bring.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Falcons are pretty banged up:

Yesterday's did not practice:

DNP: DT Jonathan Babineaux (knee), OT Sam Baker (knee), WR Julio Jones (knee), WR Roddy White (ankle).

So their best DT, their LT, and both their star WRs.

White might not play in the game is what the Falcons fans are saying - they are actually pretty pessimistic on some of the boards I took a look at.

No gimme game, but its looking like we've got a shot. As always it depends on when you get the team.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons had issues protecting Matt Ryan against the Saints last week. How do you think they will fare against the newly recently named defensive Ram ends (Thunder Storm) Chris Long and Robert Quinn? The Falcons come in a little banged up and the Rams are healthy. I am going out on a limb here so Rammies, don't let me down. Rams 24, Dirty Birds 23.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see that we are all in agreement that the Rams can win. :yahoo:

Rams are 7.5 point underdogs which is roughly the spread Vegas gives when they think that a thumping is going to happen ala Denver/Baltimore in Week 1 but I think the Rams will come out with something to prove.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No predictions from me. I was never very good at it and dont want to jinx it. I will say this, this game will give us a very good idea where we are at. A playoff team in their house. Go Rams!

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see that we are all in agreement that the Rams can win. :yahoo:

Rams are 7.5 point underdogs which is roughly the spread Vegas gives when they think that a thumping is going to happen ala Denver/Baltimore in Week 1 but I think the Rams will come out with something to prove.

Wow I'll easily take the Rams +7.5.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a huge concern in the defensive backfield..They seem to give receivers a LOT of room..They may prevent the big play often, but 300 yards is 300 yards, whether it's short and intermediate routes or
the vertical game...Please make me wrong, I would love it...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a good feeling about this game. ATL lost a close one and will be coming out swinging with SJAX and the rest of their weapons. I think ATL keys on Cook like they did Graham last week, which might open up for the WR's.

ATL 30
STL 17

Bradford throws 1 TD, 1 INT
D Rich has 50 yards rushing