• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

quick question: give me your top three rivals

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK Doobee, I agree that for a while there back in the Forum days the Oilers were a big rival of the Kings. Especially after the aforementioned "Miracle on Manchester" and renewed after "The Trade". But then the Kings moved to Staples, the Oilers went in the tank and with all the expansion the two teams didn't meet all that many times. And not in the playoffs at all since the league changed the playoff format. That rivalry sort of just died out. Oiler fans may differ because I think a lot of them are still upset about that trade.

Used to be a big rivalry with the Canucks too back in the "flying V" jersey days for Vancouver. I remember many a night at the Forum sing-song chanting at Harold Snepts. The "Harrrrrrrold" chant was a forerunner to the opposing goaltender chant that you hear so much of nowadays. That rivalry is being revived somewhat with the last couple of years' playoff series along with so many of their fans invading Staples Center.

Ox

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks, Sharks and a toss up between Cryotes/Nucks

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No real Kings fan sees Oil as a rival.
Sorry Doobee--let it go, bro.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK Doobee, I agree that for a while there back in the Forum days the Oilers were a big rival of the Kings. Especially after the aforementioned "Miracle on Manchester" and renewed after "The Trade". But then the Kings moved to Staples, the Oilers went in the tank and with all the expansion the two teams didn't meet all that many times. And not in the playoffs at all since the league changed the playoff format. That rivalry sort of just died out. Oiler fans may differ because I think a lot of them are still upset about that trade.

Used to be a big rivalry with the Canucks too back in the "flying V" jersey days for Vancouver. I remember many a night at the Forum sing-song chanting at Harold Snepts. The "Harrrrrrrold" chant was a forerunner to the opposing goaltender chant that you hear so much of nowadays. That rivalry is being revived somewhat with the last couple of years' playoff series along with so many of their fans invading Staples Center.

Ox

Yeah Ox, old school Smythe days. I'm not a big fan of the realigned divisions but I think it's sort of cool how they're bringing back some old school Smythe, Norris, Patrick, & Adams division rivalries. Canucks/Flames/Kings/Oilers in the Pacific. Blackhawks/Stars in the Central. Maple Leafs/Red Wings in the Atlantic. Capitals/Devils/Islanders/Penguins/Rangers in the Metropolitan. I made this thread on the general forum talking about the rivalries from the new divisions. Seems like the best new rivalries are the old rivalries they've brought back.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally feel like rivalry is a team I can't stand.

Blues, Canucks, Sharks for me (All 3 teams we have had Playoff series with twice in the past 3 years). Coyotes get honorable mention because of the Western Conference Finals two years ago, but they laid an egg last year and were a non-issue really. We'll see going forward, but that series was over pretty quickly in 5, and there really wasn't any followup.

I am going to say that Chicago will be on that list in the next few years. And Ducks are another team I am indifferent to. Having two teams in SoCal is good for hockey and the Kings have never played the Ducks in the Playoffs. I also don't really think the Ducks are that good (Despite their #2 seed last year). Typical Bruce Boudreau revival. Lots of offense and no defensive structure.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, a rival means each team has had success. This is why I would not consider the Blues a rival.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, a rival means each team has had success. This is why I would not consider the Blues a rival.
If you ever read ESPN or watch NHL Network you would think they had. Every article just knobs them left and right. Best home record in the NHL when the Kings swept them in 2012.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree Doob, the Oilers are not considered a rival to the Kings anymore. Probably haven't been in almost 20 years. Similar to the Wings/Nordalanche rivaly after the Draper/Lemieux incident - it was good for a while but then it fizzled out.

Currently I would say it's the Ducks, Blues and Sharks and even the Kings/Ducks rivalry feels different because both teams have now won a Cup. Before they razzed each other even though they never won anything, then the Ducks won and razzed Kings fans, then the Kings won and it kind of killed the animosity.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree Doob, the Oilers are not considered a rival to the Kings anymore. Probably haven't been in almost 20 years. Similar to the Wings/Nordalanche rivaly after the Draper/Lemieux incident - it was good for a while but then it fizzled out.

Currently I would say it's the Ducks, Blues and Sharks and even the Kings/Ducks rivalry feels different because both teams have now won a Cup. Before they razzed each other even though they never won anything, then the Ducks won and razzed Kings fans, then the Kings won and it kind of killed the animosity.

Ducks are sort of my pick for the Kings' top rival as well. The proximity, the divisional rivalry, plus both are Stanley Cup winners since the 2004-05 lockout. Blues & Kings have the making of a great rivalry as well, only thing is that it seems to be all Kings as of late. 3rd is probably the Sharks, although I don't think I would say that if the Kings & Sharks didn't play in the same state.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what, I decided, I don't care what King fans think. Kings & Oilers is a rivalry, it has historical significance in the NHL and if it's not a rivalry now it has the makings to be a rivalry in the very near future. I don't think that Yakupov would've done what he did if it were against any other team. It's a rivalry, I decided.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks are sort of my pick for the Kings' top rival as well. The proximity, the divisional rivalry, plus both are Stanley Cup winners since the 2004-05 lockout.

Kings-Ducks has always been a rivalry, it always will be. The proximity of course, but also other factors - the Kings were here first so Kings fans feel that entitlement, a ton of Kings fans are across the southern CA region all the way to San Diego where as Duck fans are mainly concentrated in Orange County and Kings fans always show up where as Ducks fans only do when they are winning, which fuels a lot of the jabs by Kings fans.

I myself live 20 minutes from the Puddle but remained a Kings fan after moving to Orange County 24 years ago from LA County but there are a ton of Kings fans here, too. The Cup win by both teams kind of neutralized the anger, neither franchise can rip on each other much anymore so it's the little things ("your team was named after a Disney movie? Lame") that live on.

For me personally, I've just gotten older and don't enjoy harassing any fan of any team anymore. But believe me, there was a time as little as 10 years ago where I was one of the biggest douchebags to opposing fans inside Staples and the GWF.

Blues & Kings have the making of a great rivalry as well, only thing is that it seems to be all Kings as of late. 3rd is probably the Sharks, although I don't think I would say that if the Kings & Sharks didn't play in the same state.

The Blues had a great home record in 2011-12 when the Kings annihilated them in the POs, and all we heard was how defensive they are, physical, they are a contender (no, they aren't. Their first line would be LA's second/third line) blah blah blah so to see LA absolutely crush them in embarrassing fashion was awesome. Then to come back down 2-0 and take the next 4 this past season was just more fodder. This rivaly is just beginning.

The Sharks have always been a rival due to the NoCal - SoCal hate thing. NoCal is nice overall, but believe me, there are some areas that make podunk cities in the midwest or south look like Beverly Hills. Because of this you get a lot of hicks who are Sharks fans.

That's a big thrashing point for LA fans, you'll hear me mention Jordache jeans, tucked in mullets, molester mustaches, etc. when referring to Sharks fans. And the hand chomping thing when they play the Jaws theme...absolutely too easy to push a Sharks' fans buttons and get them riled up.

Add in the endless playoff debacles and it's simply too much fun to me, more fun than making fun of Ducks fans.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Sharks & Canucks are very easy targets. King fans are lucky to have them as rivals LOL

I sort of respect the Ducks tho, ever since they changed their name, they've been one of the quality teams in the league.

laikaloco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Kings fan that lives on the east coast, I'd say it's the Quax, Guppies and Mutts...the relatively close proximity leads to Kings fans being able to road trip.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blues, Sharks and Canucks atm.

Ducks and Coyotes are there. I hate both of them but till the Ducks and Kings play in the playoffs, they aren't a true rival yet.