• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for the Downers

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's see, Kicker up for the Groza award, all 3 LB's up for their award, Weisman for the Walker...many individual players have been noted as outstanding players...so are you all just saying the sum of the parts will not equal the whole when it comes to this season?

I get that we can have great performers and have a sucky season but with all the publicity on our performers, I am not sure how you can't be hopeful that we at least have a good enough season to make a bowl.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye Hater - Not a drunk.....COMPLETE LIE!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HH, he is referring to your slogan under your name in the avatar, begging to differ that you are not a drunk due to your posts on our page...as per the definition of a drunk, well that's someone who drinks all the time and is likely to say things that are just plain silly...hence the reference

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye,

The sum of the parts rests with abilities of the coaching staff - especially head Ferentz. The coaching errors are well known. In years that Iowa has been really good, the talent on the field was able to overcome the multitude of coaching errors made. Currently, I don't know if the talent on the field is good enough to overcome the coaching errors that are coming.

These watch lists are lengthy, so it isn't hard to be put on the watch list. And the purpose of the several watch lists is to generate talk amongst the fans and media. Mission accomplished. It is always great to have Hawkeyes on these lists. Even better to have Hawkeyes actually win the award.

The winners of the individual awards - generally - play on winning teams. And yes, Iowa needs to win

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions for the up coming season:

Iowa finishes with atleast 8 wins
Martinez comes out of the closet

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this rings true that we are an 8/9 win team but I just don't see it happening...our defense up front will be like Swiss cheese and our offense will have to mature fast....I'm seeing 4 wins with 6 being the absolute best...I'm not sure but if I was a betting man I say Northern Illinois beats us on 8/31

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this rings true that we are an 8/9 win team but I just don't see it happening...our defense up front will be like Swiss cheese and our offense will have to mature fast....I'm seeing 4 wins with 6 being the absolute best...I'm not sure but if I was a betting man I say Northern Illinois beats us on 8/31

Go home HRUF, you're drunk.

:drink:

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

Just trying to understand your earlier post here about great coaching landing his team in the "top 10" of the final college football poll. Is that what you were referring to? If yes, KF has has led the program to four final top ten rankings after the bowl season concluded in his 14 seasons as coach. For Iowa football, that is really GOOD!!! KF had 3 other highly ranked teams that - unfortunately - faltered as the season progressed. Additionally, KF has had 3 really bad years - unfortunately.

Considering the history of Iowa football, KF has done a TERRIFIC job as a whole (considering all 14 years of service). I feel that KF does run a clean program. Players have made bad decisions/choices in that time...but that isn't a surprise considering the college football landscape.

Overall, KF has 9 winning seasons in 14 years. That is 5 seasons with 9+ wins - that is extremely solid.

But what could have been for KF? He's proven that winning big AT IOWA is possible. The averages are 7 wins and 5 losses per season. I just wish the valleys weren't that low for KF.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz reminds me a lot of Gary Pinkel.......

One really good recruiting class makes him look like a good coach..

The run from 2002-2004 was great...... 31-7 over 3 years is very good...

However, if you set those years to the side and analyze his career- his 3 best seasons are 11-2(great), 9-4, 8-5.. With a record of 67-67 if you remove the 2002-2004 run.....

So he has had 4 great years, 2 average years, 5 years at or below .500 and 3 years barely above 500

Good coaching does not go 67-67 in 11 of his 14 years....

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great coaching kills Nebraska dynasty...Enter Bill Callahan at realitycheck.com. You are welcome to feel like a Hawkeye fan. Nothing Pelini can do can erase what Callahan did. Note to Husker fan Iowa hasn't given up 70 points in a game in 100 years...Something you have accomplished twice in 10 years. Texas Tech at home, Wisconsin in a conference championship game.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there is Bo Pelini, whose first job was under Hayden Fry at Iowa...great regular season records, never won less than 9 games, but never more than 10...Bowl record of 2-3 (sorry 2003 can't count here) but loser of his last 3 and hasn't won a bowl game since joining the B10.

Ferentz is 6-4 bowl record (got screwed in 2 of those losses to Florida and Texas but the record stands) won an Orange Bowl, went to another, had to actually build his team and not inherit talent, on Oct 23, 2004 won the weirdest game ever 6-4 on 2 field goals, but Penn State got their points on 2 safeties...has never gotten 70 hung on him in any game

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

But we are talking about Ferentz.........

And you all assume I think Pelini is a good coach?????????

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's put it this way, come to the Iowa board as a fan of another team and talk shit about our team and coach and you will get it back with conviction...it's kind of like the old adage...I can pick on my sister, but no one else better do it.

If you want to become a Hawkeyes fan and step up in class that is fine, change your teams and pics and such, if not, really not sure why you are posting here. You actually seem like a pretty decent person, but we have enough joy with Hoops and other downers in our own fan base.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye Hater, remember when I told you firing Solich was going to ruin your program and you laughed at me. Well Pelini is doing his best to dig you out of that hole and as much as he can see day light, he's not clearly out of it.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally I don't think Pelini has done a bad job, won at least 9 every year, hasn't really won a big game per se but he will get there

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2,

You certainly have poked the bears on this message board. When you use numbers from the win-loss account, well, some don't like how they look and what it means. While you have pulled out two three-year stretches...that is interesting and telling. However, I look at the overall record that KF has. KF is averaging 7 wins and 5 losses per year. Given the history of Iowa football, that is a solid number. However, after PROVING that a coach can win - and win big - at Iowa, the fan base now wants that every year.

Iowa's non-conference slate is never really that tough and should put Iowa at 4-0 to start the conference slate of games. Iowa shouldn't be losing to Iowa St!!! What is realistic for Iowa in the conference? Given the current divisional play format, Iowa should be 4-4 at the worst! I understand the upsets that take place...but should Iowa be losing to Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois when those teams are on the schedule? Usually, No! The upset could happen though. A 5-3 season in the league plus a 4-0 non-conference makes for a strong season in Iowa Football.

I've said this before, I don't think KF is that far away from ALWAYS having a 9+ winning season every year. I'm waiting for him to cut things loose on the field and allow his players to get after it at a higher level of performance. Granted, Iowa could be upset on occasion...but the opposite could also be true where Iowa upsets some power teams above them in the standings.

Go Hawks!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best post from Hoops I have seen in a long time, hits it right on the head...we SHOULD win...frustrating when we lose, not likely much different from the Husker fan base