• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question about Grilli

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder..

Wandy went for the Plasma injection, and a couple of weeks later he is throwing and going to get back up on the mound.. Reading how it works, what it does and how effective it is, I am left wondering if maybe Grilli's best shot at coming back to help out at the end of the season would be to also get a plasma injection.

Thoughts?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder..

Wandy went for the Plasma injection, and a couple of weeks later he is throwing and going to get back up on the mound.. Reading how it works, what it does and how effective it is, I am left wondering if maybe Grilli's best shot at coming back to help out at the end of the season would be to also get a plasma injection.

Thoughts?

The last I read Wandy had been shut down again and told to rest a couple weeks before resuming again. However I really haven't been following him that closely.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm.....seems like it would work better on something that isn't a 1 or 0, pitching you are either healthy or not, there is no in between.

I think it is used in football more since you can be kind of healthy and still be effective.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but that was my impression.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read several articles on the benefits of it the other day...It is not going to repair a severed tendon....But it is pretty awesome because it encourages new cell growth in the tendon...specifically where there is weakness and or damage... So it repairs the damage and strengthens at the same time.

All without surgery....

It is not 100% of the time guaranteed... but it is 70% effective... To me that is amazing.

When Grilli got hurt I was worried he needed a tommy John... Then I read it was a situation where he could avoid surgery that he had minor damage/strain to the tendon... and Now I am thinking that is a perfect situation for the Plasma injection. Maybe Grilli has more of a sprain with swelling ( swelling being one thing the plasma injection does not fix )

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read several articles on the benefits of it the other day...It is not going to repair a severed tendon....But it is pretty awesome because it encourages new cell growth in the tendon...specifically where there is weakness and or damage... So it repairs the damage and strengthens at the same time.

All without surgery....

It is not 100% of the time guaranteed... but it is 70% effective... To me that is amazing.

When Grilli got hurt I was worried he needed a tommy John... Then I read it was a situation where he could avoid surgery that he had minor damage/strain to the tendon... and Now I am thinking that is a perfect situation for the Plasma injection. Maybe Grilli has more of a sprain with swelling ( swelling being one thing the plasma injection does not fix )

Grilli's injury is a muscle strain not a tendon.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

The report I read from the visit with James Andrews was the Flexor Tendon.. Unless I read that wrong?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

The report I read from the visit with James Andrews was the Flexor Tendon.. Unless I read that wrong?

According to Grilli in an interview on MLB.com, it is indeed a flexor strain, but he also says it is in a muscle like an athlete with a hamstring strain.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK

Well if nothing was torn... a strained muscle does not take 8 weeks does it?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*runs in* SORRY I'M LATE.

Okay, Grilli's injury, based on the terminology they have used, is muscular. Obviously tendons connect to muscles, and in the case of wrist flexors, they attach to the medial (inside when palms are up) elbow. Flexion of the wrist is pretty vital to throwing a baseball, especially at that velocity. With pitchers, injuries take a lot longer than your average athlete. It's not something you play on unless it's 100%. Other athletes would be cleared for play when less than 100%, pitchers are a different story. He's going to get treatment and rest for a few weeks most likely, and then SLOWLY being a throwing progression. His treatment is probably, ice, EStim/US/Graston (depends on his specific situation) at the moment, and doing some strengthening stuff without throwing. The injection Wandy got is irrelevant to his case based on what I've seen in describing his injury.

Signed,

Pix, ATC

tsmbaseball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a doctor working on coverage for us that did some great work on Grilli's injury initially.

He should return throwing this weekend, and if he's back end of August/early September, that'd be huge for the Pirates. Not because Melancon isn't handling the 'closer' role well, but because it shortens games. If starters only have to go six innings before handing the game over to Wilson-Melancon-Grilli, it takes a lot of pressure off of starters; especially the younger ones like Cole and Locke.