• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospect Stuff

damien232307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather give up Polanco. We need that potential middle infield bat. As a matter of fact if we got Lee I would part with Tallion instead of Polanco or Hanson. Maybe part with Heredia as well. I would really prefer to keep Polanco unless Stanton was the return.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would rather give up Polanco. We need that potential middle infield bat. As a matter of fact if we got Lee I would part with Tallion instead of Polanco or Hanson. Maybe part with Heredia as well. I would really prefer to keep Polanco unless Stanton was the return.

I would rather not give up Polanco for anything. He is about as close to a sure thing as we have in our minor league system holding a bat. He is also about a year away from helping the major league club. As for Hansen, he is far less of a sure thing offensively and defensively, if I had to trade one of the two I would probably trade Hansen, but would not be in any hurry to trade either one.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we need a corner OK = polanco is the only real dynamic producing option. lambo is having one great season and is still relatively young as is tabata, but polanco could be it. to get one outside the org is costly and will be getting an old guy and risky aspects of inconsistency or injury.

we need a middle infielder = mercer seems to be an answer. walker is inconsistent. hansen the only real internal option but is a couple years away and has some holes off and def.

we are very deep in P, but you can never have enough as we are experiencing this year, and in our trades, we are dealing pitchers to get back the pieces. hanny, lincoln, the guy we sent for wandy, and the other offseason moves i think.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we need a corner OK = polanco is the only real dynamic producing option. lambo is having one great season and is still relatively young as is tabata, but polanco could be it. to get one outside the org is costly and will be getting an old guy and risky aspects of inconsistency or injury.

we need a middle infielder = mercer seems to be an answer. walker is inconsistent. hansen the only real internal option but is a couple years away and has some holes off and def.

we are very deep in P, but you can never have enough as we are experiencing this year, and in our trades, we are dealing pitchers to get back the pieces. hanny, lincoln, the guy we sent for wandy, and the other offseason moves i think.

We sent Colton Cain, Houston is turning him into a releiver, Rudy Owens, I think he is injured, and Robbie Grossman, the biggest piece we sent, who was called up earlier this year, way before he was ready for Wandy.

All in all, I just don't think we can afford to trade prospects to upgrade the major league team. If you trade them for Stanton or Lee, they will become to expensive for us to keep rather quickly, but if you trade them for middling talent, you waste the most valuable resource small market teams have.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is way too early but this years draft class out of the top 10 who are looking good.
All the top 5 are doing well and interesting enough Mayo's new top 100 has:

Taillon - 12, Palanco - 15, Hanson - 44, Meadows - 75, Heredia - 83.

Then the added just think if they would have signed...Sano - 3 and Appel 29.
What is odd he took Cole off the list but left Zach Wheeler there.

Anyway talking to a few folks that saw Meadows play, they all said the same thing that he will be a star.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no idea how Heredia made that list. IMO he has a lower ceiling than Tyler Glasnow and Nick Kingham neither of whom made the top 100. All three have a higher ceiling than Jimmy Nelson(Milwaukee) who also made the list. I just don't know what Mayo goes by since every other outlet does not rank Heredia but has Glasnow around #50.

I guess for the most part his rankings aren't far off, everyone seems to have their outliers just to keep them interresting.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanson was pulled in the 4th inning today.

I guess time will tell if it means anything

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hanson was pulled in the 4th inning today.

I guess time will tell if it means anything

The score was 8-2 Bradenton at the time. Not that that matters, but could be a reason for him to be pulled. He has played a lot of innings this year and probably needs a mental break as much as anyone.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The score was 8-2 Bradenton at the time. Not that that matters, but could be a reason for him to be pulled. He has played a lot of innings this year and probably needs a mental break as much as anyone.

We were both off in the wrong direction.....Hansen was promoted to AA.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Hanson is truely promoted to Altoona then I think there would have to be a corresponding move to open up a spot on the roster. If I were guessing I would say Alex Dickerson would be moving up to Indinanapolis, he has been on fire in July .417 average and OPS of over 1.100. The only position player at Indy that deserves a promotion would be Lambo, but he hasn't been nearly as hot lately. Still with Snider on the DL we need an outfielder and he is the best we have. Another option mightbe Russ Canzler, who would fill 2 holes, he plays all 4 corner spots and kills LHP.

Looking further into the future, this puts Hanson in line for a September call-up next season. Dickerson would also be in play for a promotion to the majors at some point next season, although he would be limited to 1B since Polanco would also be in line for a promotion to the majors.

I say all of that tk get to this point, by the end of next season this team may have a very strong Neil Huntington feel to it, and at that point we can really grade his ability from top to bottom.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lambo with his 27th homerun this season. Also up to 83 RBI' s. Still strikes out a bit much, but he should get a callup at some point.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Basball America is doing their post season league by league prospect rankings. Today they did the Gulf Coast League and the Pirates had 2 players make the list. The top overall prospect in the league is Austin Meadows, and third was Reese McGuire. It is great to see those two so highthe only player seperating the two from being 1-2, was Lucas Giolitto, and that says a lot about them because Giolitto has #1 type stuff, but is com ing off of TJ surgery. I thought maybe one of the high school pitchers the Pirates signed could have snuck on to the back end of this list, but due to low innings or for whatever reason they didn't make it. Still it is a big rookie level league, so having 2 of the top 3 is amazing.

On a side note, the top prospect in the Arizona Rookie League was Clint Frazier, he is the kid from the same hometown as Austin Meadows.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basball America is doing their post season league by league prospect rankings. Today they did the Gulf Coast League and the Pirates had 2 players make the list. The top overall prospect in the league is Austin Meadows, and third was Reese McGuire. It is great to see those two so highthe only player seperating the two from being 1-2, was Lucas Giolitto, and that says a lot about them because Giolitto has #1 type stuff, but is com ing off of TJ surgery. I thought maybe one of the high school pitchers the Pirates signed could have snuck on to the back end of this list, but due to low innings or for whatever reason they didn't make it. Still it is a big rookie level league, so having 2 of the top 3 is amazing.

On a side note, the top prospect in the Arizona Rookie League was Clint Frazier, he is the kid from the same hometown as Austin Meadows.

Meadows and McGuire both had very nice debut pro seasons. It's always exciting when draft picks start performing right away.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
John Sickels posted his 2013 end of season top 75 prospects today.....the Pirates managed to get 6 on that list and one more honorable mention. I am going from memory so the placements may be off slightly, but here goes.
12. Taillon
21. Polanco
29. Meadows
39. Glasnow
51. Hansen
61. McGuire
HM. Kingham

Seems like this team might be able to sustain their good play and winning ways for years with this much depth. Eventually the lack of top draft picks and less money for International signings will catch up with all small market teams, but if you can stretch your window to 10 years then the down years won't hurt nearly as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep on forgetting about Kingham, he's another potential solid #3.

A lot of Cubs on that list too. They will be on their way back soon enough, the Brewers on the other hand.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I keep on forgetting about Kingham, he's another potential solid #3.

A lot of Cubs on that list too. They will be on their way back soon enough, the Brewers on the other hand.

I see Kingham more as a number 2 now. He was hitting 98 at the end of the year with 2 different curves and a solid ut now dominant change. I still think that where he was drafted is hurting him, if he had been coming out of college this year as a junior, with his stuff, he could have been a top 10 pick and would have been on this list.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Kingham more as a number 2 now. He was hitting 98 at the end of the year with 2 different curves and a solid ut now dominant change. I still think that where he was drafted is hurting him, if he had been coming out of college this year as a junior, with his stuff, he could have been a top 10 pick and would have been on this list.

I didn't realize he threw so hard, yea if he can get it up that high, then he could be a #2. I assumed he was more of a 90-93 guy. I thought I heard his curve was his best pitch though.

But agreed, his pedigree isn't helping him, or at least his perceived pedigree.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think heredia is still a forgotten stud. a lot of hype at his initial signing, but was at WV with glasnow and wasnt too far behind while being a whole year younger than glasnow.

taillon, kingham, glasnow, heredia to go with cole. wow, that is some special set of very young and powerful arms attached to some physical specimens that will allow more growth less strain on the arm hopefully.

cole, taillon, and heredia are potential # 1's
glasnow (because of control and BB consistency) and kingham as #2's
morton (possibly a 2 on other staffs if he is back to full health and confidence next year) mcP, locke, holmes as #3.
pimentel, cumpton as #4-5's.

that is not a bad stable assuming burnett, wandy, and liriano are all gone after 2014.
i think liriano might like pitt and be willing to hometown discount. it will depend on whether he can repeat his effectiveness consistently next year.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think heredia is still a forgotten stud. a lot of hype at his initial signing, but was at WV with glasnow and wasnt too far behind while being a whole year younger than glasnow.

taillon, kingham, glasnow, heredia to go with cole. wow, that is some special set of very young and powerful arms attached to some physical specimens that will allow more growth less strain on the arm hopefully.

cole, taillon, and heredia are potential # 1's
glasnow (because of control and BB consistency) and kingham as #2's
morton (possibly a 2 on other staffs if he is back to full health and confidence next year) mcP, locke, holmes as #3.
pimentel, cumpton as #4-5's.

that is not a bad stable assuming burnett, wandy, and liriano are all gone after 2014.
i think liriano might like pitt and be willing to hometown discount. it will depend on whether he can repeat his effectiveness consistently next year.[/QUOTE

I am pretty down on Heredia actually. He is probably more of a strong 3 at this point, but he is young with a lot of time to mature. But yes we still have all sorts of depth in the minor leagues.

The funny thing about Kingham is that his younger brother Nolan is benefitting from Nick's success. He is the #3 HS prospects for the 2015 draft as we sit today, and the #1 pitching prospect.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just wonder what the pirates will do next season if AJ comes back..

AJ
Liriano
Morton
Cole
Locke

easy right??? well there is Taillon, Gomes and Cumpton also in the mix

So that is a lot of quality arms for the rotation right there.