• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Preseason Week 1: Bengals vs. Giants

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gio Bernard is looking more and more like a one-hit wonder. I'd consider cutting him in favor of Wilder Jr.

He's a third down back. I like the idea of using him as a returner. We have him for two more years at a very small contract -- Might as well get some value from him.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a third down back. I like the idea of using him as a returner. We have him for two more years at a very small contract -- Might as well get some value from him.

Yeah, you've been Bungalized. We all have.

Why in holy hell do you play inferior players "just because"? We don't owe Gio jack squat. If Wilder is better; play him instead.

Wilder is a better runner right now. The receiving side remains to be seen.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you want Wilder Jr. over Bernard? Wilder has not even been a one hit wonder. Bernard still has excellent hands, is elusive on the outside and a pretty decent blocker as well. Wilder seems like an interesting piece to me, but not enough to interrupt our current roster depth slot at RB unless we feel that Wilder can be a special teams ace like Peerman.

Hill
Bernard
Burkhead
Peerman
Wilder
Watson

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gio Bernard is looking more and more like a one-hit wonder. I'd consider cutting him in favor of Wilder Jr.
That would be stupid. Gio is way more talented. The problem isn't Gio, its there idiots have no idea how to use him.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be stupid. Gio is way more talented. The problem isn't Gio, its there idiots have no idea how to use him.

This right here. The coaching staff is retarded (shocker)

Gio is best suited as a Sproles, Vereen, Brian Westbrook type RB. Use his speed off tackle, put him in the slot, move him around and use his speed. Get him the ball in space. Most teams would kill to have a talented RB like Bernard.

So far, the only thing we can figure to do with him is run all 5'9 200 lbs of him into the back of the right guard. Football idiots up here in Cincy.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wouldn't count on any of that. Let's just kill the idea of anyone not named Brandon Tate returning punts/kicks. Like it or not, come opening Sunday, he'll be out there fielding punts at the goal line and running backwards like always.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys are saying that continuously running the same stupid swing pass is obvious to the defense? Or that Gio running smack into Russel Bodine isn't a good strategy?

Hmmmm......

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't count on any of that. Let's just kill the idea of anyone not named Brandon Tate returning punts/kicks. Like it or not, come opening Sunday, he'll be out there fielding punts at the goal line and running backwards like always.

Oh I know..... But if we DID have a coaching staff that would use him like Sproles, wouldn't it be terrific?

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know..... But if we DID have a coaching staff that would use him like Sproles, wouldn't it be terrific?

Pointing out the obvious I know. But to be fair, we could have Barry Sanders, LT, Jim Brown back there and not know what to do with him. I swear, Marvin could fuck up a wet dream.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, it only took our coaching staff 3.5 seasons to realize that one of the most talented returners in the game was in fact on the roster and could probably be an asset as a kick returner...... And the way it's been reported is that maybe the coaches really didn't decide at all -- PacMan just threatened to kill someone on the sideline if he didn't get his chance.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with you morons. Gio just isn't that good.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it'll be interesting to see what they do this year. Gio had a good 1st year, and then last year he was expected to be the #1 as they didn't know yet that Hill would be so damned good so soon. Then Hill was banged up. It didn't exactly leave a lot of time to just start throwing him in the slot position or creating more plays for him out of the backfield. Yes, they did it in the playoff game, but that was out of sheer need with the depleted number of WR's and TE's in that game, and even then Burkhead didn't get a ton of snaps out there.

We'll see if they don't use him more appropriately this year with a full off-season knowing that Hill is the #1 bell cow RB, and Gio should be the change of pace, swing/slot type guy like sproles.

Granted...the history of this coaching staff for using guys the way the *should* be used doesn't bode well for this.

In fact, never mind. Gio is a lost cause on this team. Damn it.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 2-3 games last year they did so many screen and swing passes to Gio, and the defenses figured it out, Hue didn't bother to adjust, and Gio was getting blown up all of those plays