• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason: Bears vs Bengals

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly, how can you watch this game and be optimistic about anything but getting a top draft pick?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a shitty stream tonight, but from what I could see, it did not look great.

C

cubzzzfanincali

This isn't a SB team. No f'ing kidding. But preseason is irrelevant in showing that. Our SB team got beat by a Colts team that went 1-3 in the preseason. Year later, the 1-3 preseaon Giants knocked off what some called the best team ever in the 18-0 Patriots.

Get off it guys. Tonight's game tells you nothing.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not nothing...but I agree that you can't really take preseason that seriously.
If anything we didn't have a full team tonight and hopefully the injuries we saw are healed by game 1.
I'm hoping game planning and the unknown of playing against Gase for the first time helps. No real film on Bears yet.
Penalties suck- we've seen a lot- BUT that's coachable, and we have to think that this coaching staff is actually NFL quality.

No turnovers by starting O. That's not nothing (you all have been understandably complaining about that for years)
The running game alone can help... stick with it more then 6 runs a game.

A semi-full compliment of NFL starters. *at least Bear versions of starters. Missing 4 receivers really showed tonight. Missing Ratliff will be tough... I'm hoping that Acho (can show against starters) and some interesting front rotations could create some havoc on D. It's not going to be a top 5 D of course, but I don't see the multiple 50 point games. Vic won't let that happen.
There have been glimpses of potential of some ability to create turnovers. Maybe?

I'm not saying they are a SB team, but I can see 6-7 wins...and with some luck bounces and maybe injures to key players from other teams (asking too much?) 8-9 wins.

Let's see...still gonna drink some beers, eat some fun and yell at the tv. Go Bears!

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eat some fun? yeah that too... *Food.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well Joey you've gone and done it again. Once in a great while, I actually agree with you on something.

One thing that you pointed out I do actually agree with concerns penalties in preseason. I don't have any stats to back me up on this, but I do think that teams that commit a lot of penalties in preseason have problems with that which carry over. Look, offenses don't run their regular season offenses in preseason...they just don't. But....if a guy has a tendency to do something stupid and commit a penalty, that can be an ongoing problem. It may indicate something basic wrong with understanding timing, which is more basic than game planning.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again, people and pre-season. Same bull shit every year. Overreact when the Bears look good in the pre-season, and then they are shit. Then, overreact when they look bad, and they wind up making the playoffs.

I watch the Bears closely every single season. Regular season, pre-season, off-season, post-season, etc... I have never... NOT ONCE... picked up on a correlation with pre-season play, and regular season performance. Never. It is utter nonsense.

By your logic, the team should be able to compete with Indianapolis this season, judging by last week. Who is, by the way, a predicted super bowl contender.

You are taking a sample size of two quarters of football, in which the team did not have any starting WR's in the game... (Not to mention, hardly played Forte, their best offensive player)... Then try and predict that an entire season which hasn't even started yet, is over. Do you understand how ridiculous that is?

The pre-season is NONSENSE. Established veterans only goal, is not to get hurt. PERIOD. The team's show nothing. They are running extremely vanilla offensive and defensive schemes. It is as meaningless as a baseball team's spring training games... but for some reason, the NFL pre-season is built up to actually mean something.

NONSENSE

Only one bad thing happened in THE ENTIRE COURSE OF THAT GAME. Which is, Eddie Goldman suffered a concussion. That is it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Joey you've gone and done it again. Once in a great while, I actually agree with you on something.

One thing that you pointed out I do actually agree with concerns penalties in preseason. I don't have any stats to back me up on this, but I do think that teams that commit a lot of penalties in preseason have problems with that which carry over. Look, offenses don't run their regular season offenses in preseason...they just don't. But....if a guy has a tendency to do something stupid and commit a penalty, that can be an ongoing problem. It may indicate something basic wrong with understanding timing, which is more basic than game planning.

I'll agree with that. Pre-snap penalties can carry over, mechanical flaws with individual players, etc...

However, in the large picture, the team's performance as a whole... first team, second team, etc... It's ridiculous to read into that, at all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason is not indicative of how a team will be in the regular season. But it does tell you lots of things to indicate how thing will go and it does tell you much about individual players. For instance 1. Leno is not ready and will be abused by teams we face. 2. Our run game is deep and we will be a run first offense. 3. Our backups 2nd stringers can play when needed. 4. Our STs is much improved. 5. Cluason can handle the backup QB duties. And I see individual players skills and faults. No you don't see game plans on either side of the ball. But to say you learn nothing is shortsighted. There is much to carry over to the real season.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again, people and pre-season. Same bull shit every year. Overreact when the Bears look good in the pre-season, and then they are shit. Then, overreact when they look bad, and they wind up making the playoffs.

I watch the Bears closely every single season. Regular season, pre-season, off-season, post-season, etc... I have never... NOT ONCE... picked up on a correlation with pre-season play, and regular season performance. Never. It is utter nonsense.

By your logic, the team should be able to compete with Indianapolis this season, judging by last week. Who is, by the way, a predicted super bowl contender.

You are taking a sample size of two quarters of football, in which the team did not have any starting WR's in the game... (Not to mention, hardly played Forte, their best offensive player)... Then try and predict that an entire season which hasn't even started yet, is over. Do you understand how ridiculous that is?

The pre-season is NONSENSE. Established veterans only goal, is not to get hurt. PERIOD. The team's show nothing. They are running extremely vanilla offensive and defensive schemes. It is as meaningless as a baseball team's spring training games... but for some reason, the NFL pre-season is built up to actually mean something.

NONSENSE

Only one bad thing happened in THE ENTIRE COURSE OF THAT GAME. Which is, Eddie Goldman suffered a concussion. That is it.

Settle down, Nancy.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was terrible. Bushrod and Leno getting beat like Rugs. Did not know Bushrod had disc surgery last off season, but he is far from ready.

Yes, its preseason, but offense needs to score period. This defense is not going to shut out anybody. The biggest questionable call was towards the end of the first half, team had to use a time out because Jay did not throw the ball away and got sacked, but they continued to drive and with some 19 seconds left it would be more important to line up the offense for a play to at least throw one into the end zone instead of kicking the FG with 10 seconds left? I think it was just third down. Plenty of time to line up, run a play and still have 4 seconds left to get the FG team out there to kick the measly three pointer.

Everyone calls this the tell all preseason game since everyone will play the most, it told alot.

I always thought Sutton was a good NT, he had some incredible plays when he slid over and filled in for Goldman, they were so good they double teamed him from then on and no backer took advantage.

At least Lamar Houston did not tear his ACL by doing a sack dance when he went unblocked.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'll agree with that. Pre-snap penalties can carry over, mechanical flaws with individual players, etc...

However, in the large picture, the team's performance as a whole... first team, second team, etc... It's ridiculous to read into that, at all.

Yeah. Pretty much.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our o-line could be in trouble. Our Tackles certainly suck.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Lamaar Houston may benefit the most from the change to a 3-4. I see him being a much bigger factor this year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Lamaar Houston may benefit the most from the change to a 3-4. I see him being a much bigger factor this year.
C'mon, you're crazy, why just the other day Genius said, " I question L Houston signing. What an absolute douchebag. Completely debacle of a player. I never seen such idiocy."

On a more serious note, this team has issues. Word is we are not going to use any WR's vs the Browns as a precautionary move and as a way of getting O linemen more work. Expect to see TE, LLT, LT LG C RG RT RRT TE sets the entire game. We're going goal line all game!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only positives I see right now are an improved D-Line (which besides Willie Young, could they have gotten worse?) and apparently improved QB play. I also expect the LBs to be an improvement over last year if they are healthy.

But yes, it doesn't look good. I think better leaders and coordinators on the coaching staff could get us to 7-9 or so, but this is the least talented Bears team since at least 2003.