• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential Expansion Draft

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tweeters tweeting that teams will likely have the option to protect 7 forwards, 3 dmen, 1 goalie, or just 8 skaters and 1 goalie

1st and 2nd year pros protected
Prospects protected

Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, MDZ, Mase, are the obvious ones.. who else do you protect?

Ghost is protected as a 2nd year pro i believe (last year counts as an AHL year)

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tweeters tweeting that teams will likely have the option to protect 7 forwards, 3 dmen, 1 goalie, or just 8 skaters and 1 goalie

1st and 2nd year pros protected
Prospects protected

Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, MDZ, Mase, are the obvious ones.. who else do you protect?

Ghost is protected as a 2nd year pro i believe (last year counts as an AHL year)
obviously Voracek

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what year expansion happens. Could be tight with the defensemen.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what year expansion happens. Could be tight with the defensemen.

that's what i was thinking. people seem to think if it happens, it will happen summer of 2017. Ghost, Morin, and Hagg could all be beyond the 2 year window at that point. not to mention MDZ who you probably want to keep as well

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's what i was thinking. people seem to think if it happens, it will happen summer of 2017. Ghost, Morin, and Hagg could all be beyond the 2 year window at that point. not to mention MDZ who you probably want to keep as well

Well...I'm not worried because we could protect Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Raffl, Konecny plus one other forward. And on defense, we'd still have MDZ, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, plus at least one more and protection for Mason.

That's basically our top 8 forwards and top 5 defenders, plus our starting goalie. I won't lose any sleep over potentially losing our sixth best defender, a fourth line player or a backup goalie.

Last edited:

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting how "pro" is defined as NHL.
In previous expansion drafts it was a sliding scale...years under contract/NHL games played/years in AHL.
It does appear that the league wants this expansion round to allow for more competitive teams from the start.
I also haven't seen anywhere, but the practice is usually that a team cannot loose more than one player or one player per team (if there are more than one team drafting).

Regardless, the Flyers will have some really hard decisions to make, but so will 29 other NHL teams.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we certain that Mason is better than Neuvirth? I get Mason was the starter and his play was a huge reason the Flyers got into the playoffs. But in the small sample size of the season, Neuvirth had a pretty significantly better GAA and Save percentage. Over their careers Neuvirth has a slightly better GAA and save percentage. Given Neuvirth is 2 months older, I'm not sure I completely buy into the fact that Mason is just the starter.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we certain that Mason is better than Neuvirth? I get Mason was the starter and his play was a huge reason the Flyers got into the playoffs. But in the small sample size of the season, Neuvirth had a pretty significantly better GAA and Save percentage. Over their careers Neuvirth has a slightly better GAA and save percentage. Given Neuvirth is 2 months older, I'm not sure I completely buy into the fact that Mason is just the starter.

I would say that it is certainly up in the air right now. The difference in stats, especially in the playoffs, is just too great to ignore. It may not be entirely fair to Mase, but his postseason stats overall are terrible compared to Neuvy.

Maybe Neuvy deserves a real shot. It's tough to say.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Neuvy backer as he controls rebounds way better and doesn't have to make the spectacular play like Mason because he's always in position. Mason also turns the puck over a few times a game dumping it up the boards to a waiting defensive player.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Neuvy backer as he controls rebounds way better and doesn't have to make the spectacular play like Mason because he's always in position. Mason also turns the puck over a few times a game dumping it up the boards to a waiting defensive player.
My good friend, who played college hockey, and I were saying the same this weekend. A lot of those great says are from bad puck control.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is way too early to begin considering Neuvirth over Mason. Mason's playoff numbers include his time with Columbus, half a phenomenal series against the Rangers, and half a sub-par/bad series against the Capitals.

Not to take away from Nuevirth, who was great and should probably be a starter on other teams, but Mason came here three years ago, revitalized his career, and hasn't looked back. 3 playoff games, only one of which was truly bad, does not change that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is way too early to begin considering Neuvirth over Mason. Mason's playoff numbers include his time with Columbus, half a phenomenal series against the Rangers, and half a sub-par/bad series against the Capitals.

Not to take away from Nuevirth, who was great and should probably be a starter on other teams, but Mason came here three years ago, revitalized his career, and hasn't looked back. 3 playoff games, only one of which was truly bad, does not change that.
I personally like our two goalie system Hakstol uses especially the part where he rides the hot goalie.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably not entirely fair to Mase, but what have you done for me lately?

Neuvy gave up 2 goals on 105 shots in the final three games for a save percentage of .981 and GAA of 0.67.

In the very same series, Mase went .852 and 4.09 in three games.

I realize that we played much better team defense and showed more discipline in the second half of the series, but the difference in these numbers is too much to ignore.

Therefore, I would definitely give Neuvy at least half of the starts early next season until a true starter emerges. He's earned that opportunity. Also, the guy who performs the best should be the one we re-sign. I expect that to be Neuvy, but we shall see.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably not entirely fair to Mase, but what have you done for me lately?

Neuvy gave up 2 goals on 105 shots in the final three games for a save percentage of .981 and GAA of 0.67.

In the very same series, Mase went .852 and 4.09 in three games.

I realize that we played much better team defense and showed more discipline in the second half of the series, but the difference in these numbers is too much to ignore.

Therefore, I would definitely give Neuvy at least half of the starts early next season until a true starter emerges. He's earned that opportunity. Also, the guy who performs the best should be the one we re-sign. I expect that to be Neuvy, but we shall see.
This!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are damn good goalies and there is no hard and fast rule that states you have to play one over the other especially when Mase got sort of/kind of tired there at the end of the season. I am sure MAse appreciated the rest he got. Make Mase the starter and then play Neuvy periodically or, as has already been stated, ride the hot goalie for a period then give him a break. It works for the Flyers.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are damn good goalies and there is no hard and fast rule that states you have to play one over the other especially when Mase got sort of/kind of tired there at the end of the season. I am sure MAse appreciated the rest he got. Make Mase the starter and then play Neuvy periodically or, as has already been stated, ride the hot goalie for a period then give him a break. It works for the Flyers.

Can't for the life of me,understand why Hakstol didn't play Stolarz when he had the opportunity.

I said in other threads that he was going to burn out Mason,and I think it showed,espescially in the playoffs.