• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Position Battles: WR

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maclin is the obvious #1 WR barring a catastrophic injury, but just about everything else is up in the air. Just a thread discussing the camp battles from now up until week 1.

Incumbent Candidates:

Maclin
Chris Conley
Albert Wilson
Frankie Hammond Jr.
Da'ron Brown
De'Anthony Thomas

Vet FA's:

Rod Streater
Mike Williams

Draftees:

4th: Demarcus Robinson
5th: Tyreek Hill

UFA's/Non-Vet's

Kashif Moore
Mitch Matthews
Kenny Cook

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maclin is the obvious #1 WR barring a catastrophic injury, but just about everything else is up in the air. Just a thread discussing the camp battles from now up until week 1.

Incumbent Candidates:

Maclin
Chris Conley
Albert Wilson
Frankie Hammond Jr.
Da'ron Brown
De'Anthony Thomas

Vet FA's:

Rod Streater
Mike Williams

Draftees:

4th: Demarcus Robinson
5th: Tyreek Hill

UFA's/Non-Vet's

Kashif Moore
Mitch Matthews
Kenny Cook
Mike Williams is a bit of a hail mary. The Chiefs are probably kicking the tires on him but 90-95% chance he doesn't even make the team imo. His career trajectory went straight down but there was some talent there at some point. De'Anthony Thomas seems unlikely at this point but maybe a factor later on in the season.

I like Albert Wilson. Never going to be a pro bowl player but should get some catches as either the #2 or #3 WR. Streater and Conley are competing for the #3 WR spot and Conley should at least challenge for the #2 spot.

Hill seems more special teams. Robinson wont see the field unless injuries happen imo

My guess is:
#1 Maclin
#2 Conley
#3 Wilson
#4 Streater

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maclin tweaked his ankle today, but it doesn't appear that anyone thinks he'll miss meaningful time.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Conley hype train lives...

Will need to show more against the press to capitalize on weak competition opposite Maclin. Wilson is a nice #3 however.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a huge Chris Conley fan coming out of college. When you guys drafted him I remember probably more upset about that pick than any other in the draft. I hope he does well other than twice a year. Just seems like a guy that does his work and isn't the diva you see from a lot of WR's. He never got the hype that so many big college WR's get but I always thought he just had a great overall game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a huge Chris Conley fan coming out of college. When you guys drafted him I remember probably more upset about that pick than any other in the draft. I hope he does well other than twice a year. Just seems like a guy that does his work and isn't the diva you see from a lot of WR's. He never got the hype that so many big college WR's get but I always thought he just had a great overall game.
The nice thing about a WR with all the intangibles and physical tools is that if he's behind the curve (like against press this past season) there's always a quiet confidence he can learn how to beat it, and is willing to take notes from coaches and veterans like Maclin whom he has hung around with in the offseason. It's hard to not like a bet on a WR such as Conley, even if the film still shows some pretty raw traits in his game as an NFL wideout. Specifically an X which will be Conley's role most of the time unless Maclin is hurt.

Crossing my fingers hoping he grabs everyone's attention come training camp and preseason. If Conley can be that big bodied #2 WR opposite Maclin with Kelce in the mix, that creates so many problems for DC's, in theory. For now, it's just that, theory, and potential. Fingers crossed with anticipation to see how he does.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing about a WR with all the intangibles and physical tools is that if he's behind the curve (like against press this past season) there's always a quiet confidence he can learn how to beat it, and is willing to take notes from coaches and veterans like Maclin whom he has hung around with in the offseason. It's hard to not like a bet on a WR such as Conley, even if the film still shows some pretty raw traits in his game as an NFL wideout. Specifically an X which will be Conley's role most of the time unless Maclin is hurt.

Crossing my fingers hoping he grabs everyone's attention come training camp and preseason. If Conley can be that big bodied #2 WR opposite Maclin with Kelce in the mix, that creates so many problems for DC's, in theory. For now, it's just that, theory, and potential. Fingers crossed with anticipation to see how he does.

Yeah looking at the list I think he is definitely your best hope at having a quality #2 on the roster. Streeter if he can stay healthy is a maybe to be ok but nothing that causes defenses to lose sleep. I'm still trying to figure out what I think of Robinson. He has good hands, decent speed, and decent open field ability. Just something about him just doesn't sit right when I am watching him. He looks very awkward when he runs like he is almost falling half the time but somehow just keeps going. How he carries the football though will anger a coach very quickly. Man he is setting up for some very big fumbles early on that could kill the team.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is definitely your best hope at having a quality #2 on the roster.
Definitely the bugger with the Chiefs WR corp right now. They have a respectable #1 in Maclin, a half decent #3 WR in Wilson, but there's a pretty big gaping hole at that #2 WR spot. There were plenty of times across the league where having that 2nd WR that can impact the game really made the difference in terms of field position, points, and even winning in some cases. Conley would also be another big target in RZ situations (such as his TD in the WC against the Texans) which would make him extra intriguing.

I am kind of thinking Robinson is going to need a psuedo-redshirt year before contributing myself. Needs to clean up his routes, ballhandling, and just in general acting professional instead of getting himself into trouble off the field. Add in he has a bit of traffic in front of him in Wilson and Conley and I wouldn't bet on seeing him a whole ton until 2017; maybe we see him fill for Avant in those short yardage money downs? That's fine if you're just looking to replace the Albert Wilsons of the world who is a FA this next offseason, but I am not really seeing a #2 X or Z WR. Doesn't really come off as a guy who'd succeed outside, free release or not, with his skillset either. Seems like a guy who if he's successful in the NFL, is going to be almost exclusively out of the slot and short yardage. Wasn't my favorite pick, but when I look to some of the WR's Reid had in the latter part of his tenure in Philly, and I'm somewhat willing to defer judgement here for the timebeing.

Read earlier he could be a poor man's Jarvis Landry (low YPRec but reliable) which seems like a somewhat hopeful if not entirely unreasonable comp without me investigating Landry's game closer. I am certainly not a big fan of the Emmanuel Sanders or Marvin Jones comp in the AP article- just not seeing it to be blunt.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely the bugger with the Chiefs WR corp right now. They have a respectable #1 in Maclin, a half decent #3 WR in Wilson, but there's a pretty big gaping hole at that #2 WR spot. There were plenty of times across the league where having that 2nd WR that can impact the game really made the difference in terms of field position, points, and even winning in some cases. Conley would also be another big target in RZ situations (such as his TD in the WC against the Texans) which would make him extra intriguing.

I am kind of thinking Robinson is going to need a psuedo-redshirt year before contributing myself. Needs to clean up his routes, ballhandling, and just in general acting professional instead of getting himself into trouble off the field. Add in he has a bit of traffic in front of him in Wilson and Conley and I wouldn't bet on seeing him a whole ton until 2017; maybe we see him fill for Avant in those short yardage money downs? That's fine if you're just looking to replace the Albert Wilsons of the world who is a FA this next offseason, but I am not really seeing a #2 X or Z WR. Doesn't really come off as a guy who'd succeed outside, free release or not, with his skillset either. Seems like a guy who if he's successful in the NFL, is going to be almost exclusively out of the slot and short yardage. Wasn't my favorite pick, but when I look to some of the WR's Reid had in the latter part of his tenure in Philly, and I'm somewhat willing to defer judgement here for the timebeing.

Read earlier he could be a poor man's Jarvis Landry (low YPRec but reliable) which seems like a somewhat hopeful if not entirely unreasonable comp without me investigating Landry's game closer. I am certainly not a big fan of the Emmanuel Sanders or Marvin Jones comp in the AP article- just not seeing it to be blunt.

Yeah I agree I definitely don't see those comparisons. Those guys have incredible footwork and just the quickness to really win off the LOS especially against press coverage. They also have better ability to win on the outside or inside.

I mean I do get the talent the guy has. So not discounting that maybe he will end up putting his athleticism to work and surprise some people but like you said I do think he needs a red shirt year before we see anything of great value from him. Going to definitely be one of the more interesting camp battles for you guys.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much in agreement with @Clayton 's WR depth chart for all practical purposes. Obviously Robinson makes the team (probably Hill too) but I'd be pretty surprised if the reception share isn't in that order amongst WR's and out of camp.

Yeah I agree I definitely don't see those comparisons. Those guys have incredible footwork and just the quickness to really win off the LOS especially against press coverage. They also have better ability to win on the outside or inside.

I mean I do get the talent the guy has. So not discounting that maybe he will end up putting his athleticism to work and surprise some people but like you said I do think he needs a red shirt year before we see anything of great value from him. Going to definitely be one of the more interesting camp battles for you guys.

Definitely the marks of veteran technicians at WR. Robinson did very well in the 3 cone drill which definitely makes me happy to see (even if he'd be the "slowest" WR starting out of Maclin, Conley, and Wilson) if you are going to try him out of the slot with change of direction, and some burst, being critical. His routes, as discussed before, are still sloppy so that doesn't quite show up on film. Hopefully, as a fan, he cleans that up and can be productive thereon.

Yeah, the WR's and CB's will probably be the two things Chiefs fans will obsess over throughout OTA's, camp, preseason, etc. I for one am happy to see as much competition at WR as I have seen on this team in years. It's been a positional dumpster fire for such a long time that it's nice to see a semblance of a pipeline instead of just a puddle. Will be very interesting if Streater can rekindle some of that production he had in 2013 and 2012. Would be a nice cog to have if only for a year if that is the case.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Writing seems to be on the wall for De'Anthony Thomas and Knile Davis with how the draft and now minicamp has gone so far.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On Demarcus Robinson

About what I expected given what has already been discussed in this thread and via scouting reports.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one late afternoon last February, Chris Conley was feeling pretty good about himself when his cell phone buzzed.

Conley had just completed his rookie season with the Chiefs. He planned to spend the offseason working out at the University of Georgia, his alma mater. He had just moved into a short-term apartment in Atlanta.

Little did he know that plan would quickly be turned on its head.

“Chris!” Jeremy Maclin said on the other end. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” Conley replied.

Maclin planned to work out at the Chiefs’ training facility in the offseason. He told Conley that if he really wanted to be a great wide receiver, he’d get on a flight to Kansas City.

“He was like ‘You’re coming back,’” Conley said.

Conley didn’t have a place to live in Kansas City, but Maclin offered to let him stay in his home. The decision was simple.

“If that guy calls you,” Conley remembers his father saying, “you don’t tell him no.”

So that’s how the 23-year-old Conley came to live this offseason with Maclin, the Chiefs’ 28-year-old No. 1 receiver.

Over the next month and a half, the two of them and 23-year-old receiver Albert Wilson lifted weights, watched film and worked on route concepts four days a week until the Chiefs’ offseason workout program began April 18.

“When Mac told me he was definitely (going to) be here, there was no hesitation for me coming back,” said Wilson, a Georgia State grad who had also planned to spend the offseason working out in Atlanta until Maclin reached out.

In retrospect, it looks like Conley (the Chiefs’ No. 3 receiver in 2015) and Wilson (No. 2 in 2015) made wise decisions. Veteran free agent Rod Streater and rookie Tyreek Hill made a strong push during organized team activities, but Conley and Wilson held on to their positions.

“Those are a couple of guys that I thought had good camps — they’re kind of growing up before our eyes here, which is fun to watch,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “I think I’d tell you yes, that both of them working with Maclin paid off.”

A typical offseason day for Maclin, Conley and Wilson started about 9 a.m. at the training facility. They ate breakfast, got in the weight room, then ran on the field. Then they’d go in the film room or practice footwork.

“I think it’s my job to help them, and to help them understand that ‘Hey, these are the things I do to get myself ready,’” said Maclin, who caught 87 passes for 1,088 yards and eight touchdowns in 2015, his first year in Kansas City. “I’m not necessarily saying this is what you have to do, but you can take bits and pieces and physically get yourself ready.”

And the first thing Maclin wanted them to see is how to work smarter in the offseason, not necessarily harder.

“Conley’s a guy who likes to go, go, go, go,” Maclin said. “The things he was doing didn’t necessarily need to be done. It was the time where you get your body back right. You take mental notes. Running 30, 35, 40 routes a day isn’t really necessary in late February, early March.”

Maclin learned to use his time in different ways.

“Maybe on a Saturday, (Jeremy) would say ‘I’m gonna watch film, ya’ll don’t have to come,’” Wilson said with a laugh. “And (he’d) see if we show up, to see how serious we were about things. And of course, we both showed up every chance we got.”

Like Reid, quarterback Alex Smith can see how Maclin’s influence has rubbed off on Conley and Wilson.

“I think one (way) is the attention to detail, how much (Jeremy) thinks about little things, asking questions in installation,” Smith said. “And then the route running, all that, the work ethic, how he attacks guys and things like that.”

Conley, like Wilson, needs to show continued improvement once the pads come on in July. But Smith was impressed with how Conley — a 6-foot-2, 205-pounder who ran a blistering 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine — has grown comfortable using his athletic gifts to beat defensive backs.

Conley says watching Maclin helped him fine-tune his footwork and body control, in particular.

“For me, being a bigger guy — a guy who typically runs 100 miles an hour — it’s hard for me to stop on a dime and make sharper cuts,” Conley said. “It was really working on that, fine-tuning those cuts to where they were effective at getting someone moved off their spot.”

Wilson, meanwhile, is still learning how to set defenders up and needs to do a better job of making tough catches, but the 5-foot-9, 200-pounder is good with the ball in his hands, which is why he saw plenty of time in the slot during offseason workouts and seemed to get stronger as camp went on.

“That’s been a new role for him,” Smith said. “That’s a big plate there when you move inside, that’s a lot on your shoulders — especially mentally — and he’s handled it. Been good there, too.”

Wilson said he also closely watched Maclin’s route running in addition to how he conducts himself on the field.

“From the way he runs his routes, to the attitude that should be displayed on the field, he’s just a flat-out leader, more by his performance than his words,” Wilson said.

Conley said that when Maclin does speak, he can be direct, but he added their time together helped the three become more honest with each other, which allows them to be critical when necessary.

“We’re on a level where he knows if there’s something I’ve done that’s not right, he can tell me, and he’s not going to be shy about saying it,” Conley said. “He might say it in front of everybody, he might pull me aside and say it. He doesn’t really pull punches. He’s a blunt guy, but especially with me — he’ll take it to another level with me because he has expectations.

“But at the same time, he knows what I expect of him — so he knows that I’ll say things to him as well, so we have this respect for each other now that’s different.”

Maclin agreed.

“It’s a big brother-little brother relationship, but it’s a respect,” Maclin said. “It’s not like I think they’re better than me or vice versa. I’m only 28.”

And for that, Conley and Wilson are both thankful.

“I learned a ton, and I’m thankful for that, that he would take the time to allow me into his home and really just be coaching me on not just football, but a football life, every day,” Conley said.

“I know that I have a great opportunity,” said Wilson, who will be a free agent in two seasons. “I’m in a great situation to really take care of myself for a long time.”

Read more here: Offseason workouts with Jeremy Maclin pay off for Chiefs’ Chris Conley and Albert Wilson

Nice to hear about Maclin being involved in the development of Conley and Wilson. Establishes some good culture too within the unit. Intrigued to see how this position group shakes out in camp.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maclin
Conley
Streater
Wilson
Hill
Robinson

Pretty content with Hill replacing Thomas as the PR and as a WR. Robinson looks like a stash. Conley has firm control of the #2/X job. Streater and Wilson probably get on the field as the situation neccessitates.