• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Position Battles: O-line

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same premise. Meshing together the entire unit.

Incumbents:

Eric Fisher
Jah Reid
Laurent D-Tardif
Mitch Morse
Zach Fulton
Jarrod Pughsley

FA's:

Mitchell Schwartz

Draftees:

4th:Parker Ehinger (OG)

UFA's/Non-vets

Jordan Devey
Reid Fragel
Drew Nowak
Curtis Feigt
Daniel Munyer

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting potential here, but it really hasn't shown much outside of runblocking which was very good for the most part. Tardif is as gifted as any guard I can think of physically, but tools can only keep you a job for so long. Ehinger shouldn't really shock anyone if he starts week 1 at either guard spot with how unsettled the guard position is at the moment.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess:

LT - Fisher
LG - Reid
C - Morse
RG - Tardif/Ehinger rotation
RT - Schwartz

Backup interior - Fulton

PFF has Schwartz as a major upgrade but all of the Chiefs guard options as an equivalent downgrade. If Fisher and Morse can stay healthy and improve, it should be a solid unit. If Tardif improves or Ehinger steps in then it could be one of the surprisingly good units in football.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would need to check, but I am pretty sure Fisher played at 305 (if you believe that) last year. Would have gained another 15 pounds if this is the case.

Edit: listed at 315, a much more minor 5 pound increase

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually dislike linking back to SBN, but I generally respect MN's take on grading OL for the most part; also relevant to the thread. Obvious SSS concerns, but Reid isn't likely manning tackle for any length of time barring injury. Makes out for an awfully rosy (much more so than mine) regarding Jah Reid's ability to man a guard spot.

Jah Reid should be the Chiefs starting guard

If Jah Reid was competent in this system as a guard, that'd probably surprise me but would really make the difference between a mediocre O-line and solid line which has been lacking for quite some time.

Basically, Reid did a very, very nice job at guard in this grading system against Houston and New England. I am willing to guess (based on MN's previous comments) that Reid was indeed a liability at tackle, but that's not necessarily how he'll perform at guard which complicates matters.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left guard: The offseason departure of Jeff Allen left a hole at left guard, one that was filled by third-year pro Zach Fulton to start organized-team activities but was eventually claimed by fourth-round rookie Parker Ehinger, who held on to the job for the last three weeks as he was primarily flanked by left tackle Eric Fisher, center Mitch Morse, right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and right tackle Mitch Schwartz.

“Yeah, I think I feel pretty good about it,” Reid said of his first-string offensive line. “Again, let’s see them hit and bang around a little bit, see how they do in game. But I think we have a nucleus there that’s good — I’d even stretch it into the two-deep.”

Read more here: Chiefs’ Andy Reid updates status of key position battles at end of OTAs

Ehinger is "in the lead" after minicamp for that LG spot.

Fisher-Ehinger-Morse-Reid-Schwartz could happen

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time all camp Reid has been at RG. Yesterday the guards, Ehinger in particular, didn't look too hot. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd lean in this direction. LDT and Ehinger don't inspire confidence in the near term, so it looks like they're exposing preferred backups (Reid at Swing Tackle and Fulton at Center) to the starting guard positions in the interim until someone steps up I'd wager. Ehinger does not look ready for real NFL games. Open to revisiting the topic after the preseason, but this seems like the "best 5" line they could roll out week 1.

LT:Fisher
LG:Fulton
C:Morse
RG:Reid
RT:Schwartz