• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Position Battles & Cuts

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the time of year when desperation sets in for some bubble players is quickly approaching. In the next couple of weeks, the Broncos need to shave about 35 players off of their roster. While a heartbreaking occurrence, it's a part of today's NFL. Some of our castoffs will find a place on other rosters. My guess is that the Broncos will try to get under 53 players to take advantage of other team's cuts to fill our areas of weakness. Here's my take on some of the position battles:

Running Back: I see the Broncos keeping Hillman, Ball, Moreno, CJ Anderson and maybe Lance Ball. I think Hester and other hopefuls are shown the door.

Tight End: Keeping Tamme, Dreesen and Thomas for sure. Virgil Green may be on the outside looking in. Maybe, just maybe the Broncos retain four tight ends

Center: I think the Broncos will try to hang onto as many lineman as they can, since they've experienced a rash of injuries on the O-line. Ultimately, I think they want Lilja to supplant Manny Ramirez at the center position. Can't wait for Kuper and Walton to regain their health. If all our linemen were healthy, I think our O-line would go from a question mark to one of the best in the business.

Middle Linebacker: Irving will be the starter on opening day IMO. Nice to have Stewart Bradley's veteran presence, but I think Irving is a better playmaker.

Safety: Raheem Moore and Duke Ihenacho are locks. That's a pretty damn strong safety combo. I think Mike Adams beats out Quinton Carter and Quentin Jammer may not have a job when all is said and done.

Wide Receiver: Don't be surprised if Tavarres King beats out Caldwell for the coveted fourth spot. I still see the Broncos opening the season with Thomas, Decker, Welker, King and Caldwell though. The others.....not so much.

This has been a pretty fun offseason and training camp has gone well, despite the O-line injuries. Not sure how the depth chart will line up at the corner position. We are deep! D-line has also been fun to watch. Keep an eye out for Malik Jackson. John Elway reported yesterday that he thought Jackson was the most improved rookie from last year.

Can't wait for the start of the 2013 campaign, kicked off with an ass-whooping of the Baltimore Ravens! Go Broncos!!

MH64

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be a bit surprised if Jammer was cut. He was brought in specifically to shore up our defense against TE's (which has historically sucked).

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right Walker, but from what I've heard here from the local media is that Jammer has been struggling to pick up the new defensive scheme. His name has been visibly absent from local reporting because he's not getting many reps. The Broncos brought him in for his flexibility to play corner or safety, but that was before Duke Ihenacho started to really light things up! Will he stay or become this year's Drayton Florence? A lot of that will depend on how the other position battles go. Keeping an extra tight end or receiver and such puts pressure on another group. Definitely a balancing act!

MH64

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right Walker, but from what I've heard here from the local media is that Jammer has been struggling to pick up the new defensive scheme. His name has been visibly absent from local reporting because he's not getting many reps. The Broncos brought him in for his flexibility to play corner or safety, but that was before Duke Ihenacho started to really light things up! Will he stay or become this year's Drayton Florence? A lot of that will depend on how the other position battles go. Keeping an extra tight end or receiver and such puts pressure on another group. Definitely a balancing act!

MH64

Yeah I have to agree MileHigh64 the young guys have really stepped up and because of that Jammer really is on the outside looking in. At most they will keep 10 in the secondary and the locks right now are Champ, Harris, DRC, Moore, Ihenacho, Webster, T. Carter, and Bruton. That leaves room for one more safety between Carter and Adams and then one more corner spot between Jammer and Boldin. That is if we keep that many at the position. Most teams go with 9 at the DB position.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good analysis for ealry pre-season, but Jammer will make the roster.

And don't count out Greg Orton (or Not Kyle as we have been calling him at camp) at WR. He has looked pretty good in camp and should be a lock for the practice squad.

CJ Anderson (CAL Berkeley #39) is moving up the depth chart and is practicing with the 2's now. He looked good against SF.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, let me get this straight. First we go get an eleged "TD Clone" in Ball, and now we have an "Anderson" making waves??

I'm starting to like this RB unit even more by the day.:suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good analysis for ealry pre-season, but Jammer will make the roster.

And don't count out Greg Orton (or Not Kyle as we have been calling him at camp) at WR. He has looked pretty good in camp and should be a lock for the practice squad.

CJ Anderson (CAL Berkeley #39) is moving up the depth chart and is practicing with the 2's now. He looked good against SF.

Problem with Greg Orton is he has been hurt and missing reps and everything I keep reading from camp is saying Caldwell has been having a great camp. I would love to see Orton make this team (that just doesn't sound right coming out of my mouth...the guy should really change his last name). I'm just wondering if him missing these preseason games and practices will all but guarantee he does not make the team again. Also not sure if he is Practice Squad eligible anymore.

I honestly think Jammer will be the new Drayton Florence. The guy from everything I have read has had a horrible camp and with some of the young guns really coming along my guess is the Broncos would rather keep them and let them develop.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen a lot of mixed info in camp reports from different media guys. For example, Cecil Lammey is really biased in his evaluations because he hates to back track on earlier predictions from the draft, Senior Bowl and fantasy analysis he does. He kind of twists the facts to suit his desires at times.

I have been to 5 camp practices now and Caldwell struggled early in camp with a lot of drops an poorly run routes. Orton's injury may prevent him from making the 53 man roster, but he does still have a year left of Practice squad eligibility I believe and he looked good when he did practice. He was hauling everything in and making great sideline catches and getting both feet in bounds, even ripping a pass away for a TD from Chris Harris on one 11 on 11 drill. At any rate, any of them are great depth on the roster behind Thomas, Decker and Welker.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen a lot of mixed info in camp reports from different media guys. For example, Cecil Lammey is really biased in his evaluations because he hates to back track on earlier predictions from the draft, Senior Bowl and fantasy analysis he does. He kind of twists the facts to suit his desires at times.

I have been to 5 camp practices now and Caldwell struggled early in camp with a lot of drops an poorly run routes. Orton's injury may prevent him from making the 53 man roster, but he does still have a year left of Practice squad eligibility I believe and he looked good when he did practice. He was hauling everything in and making great sideline catches and getting both feet in bounds, even ripping a pass away for a TD from Chris Harris on one 11 on 11 drill. At any rate, any of them are great depth on the roster behind Thomas, Decker and Welker.

I agree that there are some mixed reviews of camp. Two people can see the exact same thing and come to two completely different conclusions. I had read that Caldwell struggled early in camp but over the last week and a half he has really come on. To be honest I would rather see us keep Greg Orton as I think say one of our two outside guys goes down with injury he is the better all-around receiver that is not afraid to go over the middle than that of Caldwell. Hopefully he can get back out there soon enough and really show off why the Broncos should keep him over Caldwell.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with Greg Orton is he has been hurt and missing reps and everything I keep reading from camp is saying Caldwell has been having a great camp. I would love to see Orton make this team (that just doesn't sound right coming out of my mouth...the guy should really change his last name). I'm just wondering if him missing these preseason games and practices will all but guarantee he does not make the team again. Also not sure if he is Practice Squad eligible anymore.

I honestly think Jammer will be the new Drayton Florence. The guy from everything I have read has had a horrible camp and with some of the young guns really coming along my guess is the Broncos would rather keep them and let them develop.

Orton is practice squad eligible.