• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playing stupid

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall the 1960 World Series where the Yanks bludgeoned the Parrots 3 times and lost the other 4 games.
So numbers are what they are and over 162, it levels out. I do think the negative total the Reds have for runs is related to their inability to score .... History shows that teams with a negative run total almost never win anything.

But giving up 171 runs is kind of scary even if the venue is often GABP.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds are dead last scoring a guy from 2nd or 3rd base. It's easy to not have to watch this piece of shit team play.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if the Royals need any help retiring the Reds...Frazier tries a sneak attack stealing 2nd. The only guy in the stadium that it fooled was himself.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thom and Welsh were saying that stealing off the Royals is next to impossible. Now if THOSE TWO guys have that information, does Price and his staff have it shoved up their butts?

Is Votto the most overrated quarter-billion dollar hitter ever?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I promise I won't blame the manager for the top 3 guys going oh-for-12 but it's clear the players aren't inclined to do much about it. Four hits, 5 baserunners ...

Capture.JPG

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it several weeks ago--break these shitheads up and ship them out. Start with Bruce & Phillips and get somebody in here that understands how to hit with runners on base. We used to blame Dustmop for our woes but I am convinced these hard headed retards just wont adjust and have zero heart. They collect a paycheck and keep cheating the fans. Absolutely disgusting to watch and a waste of electricity to put on my 65 inch HD 4k TV. Just fucking pathetic. I can't believe the organization can put people in the seats to watch this garbage. I think they come for the food because the baseball sucks. And Price, he is no genius. I have already seen stupid shit out of this guy. But in his defense, these assholes are doing the same thing when Dustmop was the Coach. I see no choice but to overall this bunch and hope the minors can produce some talent.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is fully capable of losing 10 games in a row, and I would not be surprised if we aren't in that streak now. It's at 4, and if Marquis lasts the third inning, I will be stunned. Price is hoping this short span of off days will let him use a 4-man rotation, which would be great if he had 4 starters.

Once they get into that 21-day stretch, it begins to get REAL REAL ugly.

And as far as that goes, there really are not on-field injury issues yet. It is going to be a lot worse by August.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case nobody noticed this comment.

"I did my job and I expect the rest of the team to do their job," Cueto said. "You want to have a little more run support but there's nothing you can do."

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has no excuses and their play speaks for itself. I don't see this as a team under performing....they are what they are.

I got a chuckle out of Price saying he's honored to join the All Star coaching staff. Wasn't awarded on merit...it's customary to include the hosting club's manager....even if he's clueless.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad part of all this is that next year's team might be worse.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read about Cueto's comments, the more it's clear that morale in the Reds clubhouse is pretty near rock bottom. I look at the faces of the players when they make one of their standard milk-toast outs, such as Votto after striking out again on an 0-2 pitch. Hamilton just pops up, goes back to the bench and sits down. Frazier seems to be terribly frustrated. Bruce shows no emotion at all now. Byrd seems annoyed. Phillips just smiles at the umpire.

I don't know how much I believe in clubhouse chemistry, but I'd guess there isn't a lot of whooping it up in the Reds barn lately. Even winning a game is a prelude to another 3-game losing streak. Doing that math, these guys may end up with a club record for losses. If the league were a little better, I'd almost wager on that.

At the break, they will be double-digits behind the Cardinals, I think. What I had sensed early on, that they would be close enough to stay the course, appears less likely now. I'd venture a deal for Cueto is looming. They might deal Bruce but that's probably bad karma.

I am not sure I wouldn't try to deal Hamilton. Hell, he can't hit. Who cares if he steals third base?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The food is good at GABP. Nice view of the river & skyline. Not a bad seat in the park. The team can be bad, though.

If you watch many other teams, there is no shortage of bad play, and bad teams playing bad baseball. Not defending our Reds, just saying this type of play isn't just the Reds. There are a handful of good teams, and I suspect even they are made to look better by the relatively small number of similarly good teams. Fans of every team bitch about managers and GM's, especially losing teams.

Trading underperforming players making double digit millions a year, for productive MLB players, is tougher than fans might think. For best value, they need to be traded while still playing well enough that fans would be pissed they were dealt, and if at an age like Phillips, often still have to eat some contract to deal them. Unless the Reds are willing to take single A guys, I'm afraid the Reds are stuck with some of these guys.

I get frustrated most by inability to attempt sound fundamentals, not so much the inability to execute them. I think bad results are a lot more common when there is nothing but bad choices to make- that goes for players and managers. I'd like to see the Reds put themselves in situations to score more often, without a hit.

I think its a secret that you dont have to get a 2 out hit to score...and what you do with the first 2 outs has a lot to do with scoring. I don't think the Reds understand that, and haven't for a long time.

Hamilton can bunt, I saw him do it last night-a sac variety almost beat out- out only by a great dig by Hosmer after a rushed throw by Moustakis, who knew the bunt was coming. What I haven't seen is Billy drag one to the 1b side, while hitting lefty-a much higher probability play than every bunt I've seen him attempt this year. I also saw Votto submit to the shift and pull into it-granted, the pitch was inner half, but a I expect a cerebral oppage hitter like Votto to do something less Bruce-ish in that situation. Speaking of Bruce, he's getting easier to pitch to, because even though he has rarely hit (even if not safely) the opposite way, he usually falls right back to pulling off the ball in the very next AB.

The Reds don't hit well with runners in scoring position, but they rarely bunt with runners at 1st & 2nd and no outs, other than Hamilton, a platoon player or a pitcher. Phillips shows bunt but rarely commits to one. Every hitter should be able to get one down- and if Frazier or Bruce or even Votto would once in a while, it would surprise a lot more effectively that a steal attempt in a pitch out or 2 strike count. When the Reds do get a no out runner to 2b, the next 2 guys usually strike out, or dont hit behind the runner, and then the MLB average with 2 outs kicks in. I don't adhere to bunting a lone runner to 2b, but the Reds need to keep the line moving with outs more often in that 2 on no out scenario, and they just have to get a flyball with a runner at 3b and less than 2 outs- also something they do poorly. The obvious lost opportunity is waiting late in counts to steal 2b after a leadoff singke or walk, especially Hamilton- then making an out to negate bunting him to 3rd fir the 1st out, and scoring him from 3rd on a 2 out flyball. IMO, the Reds don't advance on outs enough to score with them either, and a team hitting .250 or less isnt likely to get clutch hits as often as the predictable Reds need them.

Bunts aren't the answer to the offense, but it would be a sign they are aware. Shifts are made easier by the Reds insistence on dependance on longer odds, solo homers, and gifts (wild pitches, balks, walks and errors), not often given up by post season capable teams. The Reds are flawed, but under use the talent they have, too much, IMO.

Cueto is going to lose for lack of runs sometimes, but they can't score enough to take Marquis to the W.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is poorly coached. The manager can't fix all that. But in the end, he's liable for it. The winning teams, yeah, are not great teams. They are just higher up on the horse than the horse's asses are. St. Louis isn't winning with great talent.

Bunting, if marginally successful 50 percent of the time, would force a lot of teams to rethink the supershifts. But knowing Bruce can't lay one down, or that Phillips will only goof around and pretend he's thinking of it ... there is maddening acceptance that the supershift is killing the power hitter.

Pitchers are learning to control the strike zone now because the hitters are clueless and don't really know which pitch they can get past the infield. Even Votto seems spent emotionally after the first two threads are down the middle. He keeps trying to foul shit off hoping for another one of those threads. Crap, any pitcher who gives in to Votto needs to be sent back to Birmingham (Michigan).

Hamilton's inability to bunt well has been more insulting to me than I believed initially. I had originally believed that his enthusiasm and energy would translate to better offense. Clearly nobody held him to the fire on that and that's again back on the dugout staff.

Price seems content to graciously make adjustments to jury-rig a broken apparatus. I realize there are 25 or more people who are involved in the daily process but they aren't the manager. It took 40 games into the season for Price to realize Hamilton can't hit. That was apparent A WHOLE YEAR AGO.

Marquis, Gregg and the Hoover-doover showed long ago that they couldn't get people out. Why were they even invited to try out for the team? Walt signs 'em, Price nods his head and ... then pretends these guys will rise up like the Phoenix.

Byrd, Hamilton and Bruce easily projected 550 strikeouts this year. When doing the math prior to getting Byrd, it was likely 350 strikeouts. So what did the Reds do? Dealt for Byrd anyhow. Could they have signed Aoki? The afterthought is that they could not have ... but the question is, did they even bother?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, according to Cueto's agent, no one from the Reds even made him an offer this winter...pretty much proving the public statements about negotiating for an extension were just smoke they were blowing up fans asses. So, I don't trust any Reds news until it's already happened.

I just wish they would be honest to fans. That would give the impression they were doing the best they could, given (stated) limitations. I know they can't sign Cueto for $175 M, and probably won't be able to give Leake what some team will offer him. I also suspect Mesoraco isn't going to catch this season, and Reds representatives at the A-S game (including Price) will be because of having to take them, rather than them earning their spot. By position, Cozart is the only guy that deserves votes as the best stats (so far) at his position. Votto is the Reds best player, but he's probably having the 3rd best season among NL 1b. I'm convinced Cueto and Chapman are among the best P, but the Reds W total sure doesnt support that idea.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto will be chosen to showcase him. Chapman will be chosen because nobody is better.
Votto will get lots of votes because people aside from Colin Cowherd know who he is. Adrian Gonzalez will win that vote, however.
Cozart might be selected, which would be nice to see. Aside from the ballot-stuffing in Silicone Valley, nobody else probably should be selected. Segura might be a cookie selection.

I think Cueto's agent said upfront that this was the price, no bargaining ... the public statement had to be enriched with "we will talk till April 1." My guess is they had one talk prior to April 1 and that was "take your pitcher and go in God's shadow."

Honestly, if fans are wringing their hands over losing Cueto and Leake, look at what the team has already told the fans -- does it matter? Maybe Cueto is the problem in the clubhouse. Maybe Leake is. I heard he was pissed they didn't talk. He's a 4-man in a rotation in quality NL format. Durable, can hit a little, runs bases. The $13M they qualify for him is more than he's worth. He sure as fuck is not a staff ace. So, hasta la pasta, Mikey ... the Reds put you in the big leagues. Thanks for nothing, except for returning the shirts.

The Simon deal now looks more like a bust than a great set of tits. Can't say on Latos. So far, it seems like pissed-off people hoping DeSclafani can get people out. So far, they are wrong, but what torqued me off was that the guy was plugged into the rotation about 6 minutes after the ink was dry on the deal.

It's like ... he's the guy we have been coveting ever since some lefty ditched his team in the Andorran mountains'

I guess talk about Jess Winker is off the table now that Byrd has led the team in something over the last 8 or 9 days.

Meanwhile, batting Bryan Pena in the 2 hole shows me that the planning was about the same as Hannibal trying to get his elephants to swim the Nile. (Take the mountains, Hambo!)

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DOES ANYBODY think the Reds could not score with the bases loaded and 1 out with Swish Byrd and Hopalong Bruce coming up? I know ... let's bat Phillips in the 2 hole.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again here we are on May 20th and this team is ready to throw in the towel. I have seen many a losing season with Reds over the last 40 years but like this because there appears to be enough talent to at least play .500 ball. I am beginning to believe that the IQ of some of these guys is very low or they are too immature to endure a couple of bad games without jumping off the ship. If this team has 40 losses by the All Star break, fire the manager and trade a player. Shake it up. No reason for this organization to tolerate this bullshit.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Price would make them look bad for firing Dusty.
Price is inept. His coaches are inept.
Cueto is pissed now and Leake was pissed in March.
No telling what Badenhop and the other 6 dwarves are saying in the bullpen.
Marquis probably ought to just shut up.
Hell, I'd rather see Ondrusek out there than this load of fat fannies.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in the hell was Phillips doing on the Hosmer groundball. Runners on 2nd and 3rd...fields the ball...runs with it...makes a bad throw to Barnhart who is out of position to make a tag at the plate...no outs....no errors. Runner from 3rd scores and the batter eventually scores later in the inning. The pitching sucks....but there have been too many charged earned runs this season that have been the result of poor fundamental infield defense including the catchers....add two more to that tally last night.

Another game where the team goes o'Fer with RISP. Strategy is nearly useless to talk about when a team fails to execute like this team is at the moment. Whether it's bunt a leadoff double to 3rd or any other sound fundamental strategy...too many players on this team falter in head to head matchups at key moments. It's more than going hitless...it's not hitting behind runners, working the count until you get the pitch you can handle, walking when you're being pitched around.....keeping the line moving.

It's not always the last out that stops the line moving...more times than not it's the strike out with less than two outs and a runner on 3rd or hitting a ground out to the left side with a runner on 2nd. Unproductive outs are like applying the brakes...it's the first step to stopping and not scoring.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There tends to be a lot of confidence among opposing pitchers who suddenly realize that the Reds won't score enough runs to beat them. They can simply let the best hitters reach base and cotton-pick their way through the others -- Byrd, Bruce, etc. will simply either strike out or tap it on the ground to the supershift.
If you are a pitcher knowing the other team needs 4 runs and can barely scratch out 2 (usually on home runs) that already tells the opposing dugout that the bullpen can be lined up perfectly.
The Reds will be lucky this year to have another 4-game win streak. I would say 7-8 game losing streaks will happen often -- and one is in progress now.
I'd say 12 games under by the break would be a positive result. At least 12 games back of the leader within another 2 weeks. Probably fall behind the Brewers.
No roster changes will matter. Shuffle in Contreras or Villarreal. I see Parra is due to come back. Say goodbye, Lorenzen.