• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players the Lakers could sign to fill out their squad

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder returning is now a mute point. I wonder what happened to the sign-and-trade option. Apparently the Lakers are so disgusted with this guy they just want him out of LA.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder returning is now a mute point. I wonder what happened to the sign-and-trade option. Apparently the Lakers are so disgusted with this guy they just want him out of LA.
He went from wanting 20 mill plus per year to just under 6 mill.....LOL.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep DJ. A totally laughable situation that was/is preventable except for the over-exaggerated perception of one Dennis Schroeder.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers can't make a play for Hart and Markkanen because they may be RFA's, these two guys should be the final roster round-out players to sign.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Lakers added player Nos. 13 and 14 by signing Mac McClung and Chaundee Brown Jr. to make the 15-man roster. So that puts the signing of FAs Bonga and Mykhailiuk sort of on hold for now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sign and trade requires a 3 year guaranteed deal. His value was so depressed that he wanted a shorter, prove-it deal to elevate his stock and get back on the market.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Lakers added player Nos. 13 and 14 by signing Mac McClung and Chaundee Brown Jr. to make the 15-man roster. So that puts the signing of FAs Bonga and Mykhailiuk sort of on hold for now.

Those two aren't signed to the regular season roster; they are training camp contracts (Brown is an Exhibit 10 contract, increasing the probability that he becomes a G-League Laker).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers can't make a play for Hart and Markkanen because they may be RFA's, these two guys should be the final roster round-out players to sign.

Both Hart and Markkanen are likely out of the Lakers' price range anyway. They can only offer vet min contracts. Any S&T for either will hard cap the roster, and the Lakers have previously indicated they will not do so to keep their midseason roster flexibility.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Hart and Markkanen are likely out of the Lakers' price range anyway. They can only offer vet min contracts. Any S&T for either will hard cap the roster, and the Lakers have previously indicated they will not do so to keep their midseason roster flexibility.
Hart and Markkanen are way too young for the Lakers to sign. It'd ruin their 32 year old average age for their roster.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah yeah, ha ha...

Exhibit A, B, C: THT, Nunn, Monk
Imagine if you didn't have THT. The average age would like 34.

It is quite interesting what LA did. Doesn't make sense to me, but they didn't have a ton of options. Time is running out for Lebron and they needed to get another star , but didn't have the trade chips to get one to fit perfectly with their needs.

What I don't get is signing Howard? He will do nothing but clog the lane. Their other center is 120 years old in Gasol. Just odd how they assembled their team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get is signing Howard? He will do nothing but clog the lane. Their other center is 120 years old in Gasol. Just odd how they assembled their team.

They won a title with Dwight at the 5. Dwight is there for rim protection, rebounding and playing against some the more traditional type centers (like Ayton for example). Him playing the 5, allows AD to slide to 4 which he prefers to play. Dwight is also still agile and athletic enough to guard the pick and roll and can get to the 3 point line and back quickly when he has to. He can also still be effective on offense with rim runs, pick and roll and put backs.

His playing time will fluctuate from game to game based on the style that a team is playing. He likely wouldn't see a lot of time vs. a team like the Warriors, but would see more against teams like the Jazz and Suns.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Ennis is possible....we need another forward. He can shoot and defend.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won a title with Dwight at the 5. Dwight is there for rim protection, rebounding and playing against some the more traditional type centers (like Ayton for example). Him playing the 5, allows AD to slide to 4 which he prefers to play. Dwight is also still agile and athletic enough to guard the pick and roll and can get to the 3 point line and back quickly when he has to. He can also still be effective on offense with rim runs, pick and roll and put backs.

His playing time will fluctuate from game to game based on the style that a team is playing. He likely wouldn't see a lot of time vs. a team like the Warriors, but would see more against teams like the Jazz and Suns.
This.

Howard is a good perimeter defender.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And there are like 2 guys left from that team (Lebron and AD). With Westbrook, he is best when the floor is spread and he can get to the basket.
It is just a bizarre signing to me. In all honesty, trading for Westbrook is even more bizarre, as the Lakers needed shooting and instead sign a guy who is poor shooting outside and shoots way too much.
And defensively, it is going to be ugly for LA. If it were 7-8 years ago, LA would have a sick team defensively. But when half the team is 36, 37, 38 etc. I cannot see this working

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there are like 2 guys left from that team (Lebron and AD). With Westbrook, he is best when the floor is spread and he can get to the basket.
It is just a bizarre signing to me. In all honesty, trading for Westbrook is even more bizarre, as the Lakers needed shooting and instead sign a guy who is poor shooting outside and shoots way too much.
And defensively, it is going to be ugly for LA. If it were 7-8 years ago, LA would have a sick team defensively. But when half the team is 36, 37, 38 etc. I cannot see this working

I doesn't matter how many guys are there from that team. He is signed to play a very specific role. It's unlikely that he'll even start games and if he does, it won't be play starters minutes.

It's not an odd signing at all given the very specific role that he is there to play. If they started trying to use him like he has been for most of his career...then it would be an odd signing. But that's not his role.

I mean, unless you think Lebron, AD and Westbrook will all play 48 minutes.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-They traded for RW, they didn't sign him.

2-Half the team isn't 36-38.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players they signed:

Melo made 40% of his treys last season.

Ellington made 42%,

Bazemore made 41%.

Monk made 40%.

Nunn made 38%

Ariza made 35%.

Howard wasn't signed to shoot, just defend and rebound at the 5.

James and AD can both hit the 3.......the 3 point shooting will be just fine.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd isn't it? Schroeder turned down a 4 year $84M offer from the Lakers and signed with the Celtics for $5.9M.
Makes you wonder if the Lakers might be losing all that sparkle and glitter.