• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pirates interrested in David Price

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if we trade our top prospects, I mean we just never have.

Plus, I think the Pirates are more likely to regress next year, it wouldnt take much, Wandy never pitches, Liriano gets hurt, Morton falls off a cliff... Our rotation, with or without Burnett, could do a 180 real fast imho.

At least we have graduated to the Dollar store for free agents, leaving the dumpster diving a not so distant memory..

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
trout is great, and had a great year.
so where did the angels end up, even though they had other great talent around him.
that is why, unless you have 225 M per year, you cannot give 3 or 4 high potential guys, with 6 years ownership for 1 with 2 years, no matter how good.
you can think about it if you just lost the WS and are truly one player away and you have all your other starters locked up so you don't need any prospects to replace them, but then you have to pray for no injuries because you will have no depth.

we are nowhere near being one player away and having every other position locked up where we don't need prospects.

so going for 2 years of anyone, isn't worth trading 3-5 prospects and at least 2 blue chippers, regardless the level. even if your 4 prospects all crap out, that mentality and strategy is not what you want the culture of your system to be like.
add into the equation that we are a small market team and we have to value every controllable year as much as possible and get real sustained value back when we give up high potential quality controllable years. 24 for 2 doesn't make sense.

plus price has had 1 good year in the last 3 while playing for a team that is over 90 wins 4 straight years. that doesn't seem overly impressive, mind-blowing, or lets blow up our system and gamble for 2 years (that aren't our best 2 for our championship window like 16-19 will be).

having depth in the system, quality depth, allows iron to sharpen iron and winning attitudes and chemistry to build as these guys play with each other and you can't underestimate that as well. trading 4-5 major prospects will have destructive ripples not only with the holes that are created, but also the players those holes affect as well.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be shocked if we trade our top prospects, I mean we just never have.

Plus, I think the Pirates are more likely to regress next year, it wouldnt take much, Wandy never pitches, Liriano gets hurt, Morton falls off a cliff... Our rotation, with or without Burnett, could do a 180 real fast imho.

At least we have graduated to the Dollar store for free agents, leaving the dumpster diving a not so distant memory..

not sure if we will regress or get better production from
cole a whole year
morton a whole year
liriano a whole year
wandy a whole year (was pretty durable before last year)
better 1B with sanchez and whoever (looney) they get.
better RF with tabata/lambo/snider and then polanco and the best of the 3 moving to 4th OF.
marte a whole year and a bit wiser with less pressure.
mercer the whole year
better backup for martin
alvarez finally settling in after a more relaxed year, better production, and great postseason against great pitching.
cutch having a better year run production wise as he didn't do it consistently enough last year driving in runs.

i think these will make up for some of the career years coming back to earth on the mound and their amazing consistency thru the year.

after saying all this, i still think we are 1-2 years away from being serious championship contenders. sure we can catch magic in a bottle, who can't. but having the horses to really compete in october for the WS title, we are still short and shouldnt sell major pieces to get bandaids for this 14 or 15.
once cole, taillon, kingham, polanco, marte, alvarez, have settled in circa 2016, then we can by a piece for the WS having enough stars and really good (ave to above ave) role players in the field and on the mound to have no real weakness.