• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillips

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually take much stock in the trade rumors stuff but the Phillips-to-the-Nats rumor seems to have a little more credibility based on the type of trade the Reds made for Frazier.

I suppose if a deal is done, this particular comment won't be much value.

Either way ......

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be a little suprised if any team is willing to pick up all $27M of BP's next 2 years. He's a great defender, and he hit a respectable rate last year, for a non- middle of the order hitter- anyone that doesn't walk at all, and hits only 12 HR in a bandbox park, and always hits into more DP's than HR, can't hit 3-4-5 in a lineup that wins, IMO. That said, a lineup that would hit him 2,6 or 7 would likely be happy with him.

The real issue for the Reds in this historic sell-off is, they couldn't hit enough WITH Frazier and Phillips last year, so they sure as Hell won't hit better without them this year. Mesoraco might take up some offensive slack, but not with 350 AB as a catcher only. No gold gloves, but the Reds have a couple farmhands that can play 2b, but even as mediocre offensively as Phillips is, no one is close to replacing him with a bat on the current roster. People were spewing at Cozarts improvement, but he hit about .250. Suarez hit decent in a small sample, but wasn't a great defender, and I'm worried his so-so offensive career record will reappear over a full season of scrutiny, Hamilton is a gamble to hit at all, and Bruce has developed into a guy that can help you only for about 4-5 weeks a season, hitting under .240 with 150+ K's is almost a lock....very Pedro Alverez like stats...

Votto might walk 300 times next year because no reason to pitch to him. Id guess the Reds get out homered at GABP by 50 HR next year. 4/5 of the pitching rotation as rookies and 2nd full year pitchers doesn't bode well for a bullpen already among the worst, and that was WITH the most dominant closer in MLB, the soon to be traded Aroldis Chapman. How will Bailey perform after surgery ? Anyone trust Hoover to pitch well in back to back seasons ?

We may be looking at a historically bad Reds team. If the rest of the NL improved a little, the Reds might vie for not only the worst team in MLB, but MLB history.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently BP wants the pot sweetened a little. How bad do the Reds want to get rid of him?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't pay him to play elsewhere. Sometimes, you get what you ask for. BP and the Reds signed the contract, and apparently, neither party is that happy about it now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure didn't take the Nats long to find that option at 2nd base. Makes you wonder who was playing whom there ... since they obviously had a line on Murphy before they interviewed Phillips. My guess is Phillips caught onto that little gag pretty quickly.

Nobody said there was any honor in the front office.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yhey were probably using BP to negotiate $100K lower on Murphy. IMO, the Nats overpaid for Murphy- who had a hot streak in the post season, but is a below average defender, below average speed and below average power guy. I'd rather have Walker or BP.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is any doubt that Phillips will be traded. It's probably going to be Atlanta, where he can get a hometown deal. I know Atlanta is retooling but BP fits there.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be, this is the problem with the Reds Front office. They try to trade the longest-tenured guy on the team and it's been about 2 weeks. So what does Walt have to say?

“He said he didn’t want to leave, he didn’t want to go (to Washington),” Jocketty said. “I’m not sure. I haven’t talked to him since then.”

HE HASN'T EVEN TALKED TO BP SINCE THEN? Geez, grow a pair.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda like no one talked to Chapman about starting, even after he started for 2 spring trainings... Or maybe, they should have talked to Dusty too. Maybe they need another translator.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah really ... he's the GM for a guy earning 40 million bucks who they tried to trade and who refused because of his 5-10 clause and Walt says he HASN'T TALKED TO HIM. I mean, doesn't he even fuckin' care? At least send the guy a text message and say 'merry Christmas, dude."

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get any of it.