• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Philadelphia Flyers at Carolina Hurricanes 11/5/13 | 7:30pm

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you Giroux. Flat out. Fuck you. I want him on the 3rd line next game. That's two games in a row he completely ignored his man in a 1 goal game late in the third. 100% unacceptable and a message needs to be sent. That's complete bull shit.

Totally agree for some reason he can't cover one guy in front of his own net. Put Vinny at center and make G play the wing until he can play some fucking defense....if you're not scoring you better play some fucking D!!!!!!! Fuck....either way I think its pretty clear that its not the goalie, its not the D its the fucking forwards who just can't fucking score and when the games on the line can't play team D. Although no excuse for Grossmann to ice that puck that was just plain dumb.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree for some reason he can't cover one guy in front of his own net. Put Vinny at center and make G play the wing until he can play some fucking defense....if you're not scoring you better play some fucking D!!!!!!! Fuck....either way I think its pretty clear that its not the goalie, its not the D its the fucking forwards who just can't fucking score and when the games on the line can't play team D. Although no excuse for Grossmann to ice that puck that was just plain dumb.

Looking at the replay of the game tying goal, I think Giroux was trying to play defense, and actually made a valiant effort. He just was a little weak in his attempt to tie up J Staal with the stick. Clearly his finger is still bothering him.

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
accountablility

Berube said he would hold people accountable, I've yet to see it. Grossman has been good at
blocking shots, little else (and that icing was f'n brainless), why streit didn't pass that puck to the open wing is beyond me, especially since he was the deep man on ice in which a giveaway would (and did) result in a breakaway. Giroux has been a spectator...some have mentioned they didn't see their "best player" on the ice in OT, how the FK do you think Giroux is their best player? Feel awful for Mason.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Grossmann has been one of our better defensemen overall and it's not just for his shot blocking abilities. He is tied for 5th in the Nhl among defenders in hits and they all count because he just absolutely eliminates people. Then you factor in his 4 assists when he isn't even a puck mover and that his plus/minus isn't half as bad as some of our other guys like Streit, Coburn and Schenn. His minutes have been steadily increasing throughout the season. He's flat out been our best defenseman to date, this error included.

Actually, I blame Giroux more for the error than I do Grossmann. The best player on the team should be able to get the red line on his own and dump it in. At least pass the damn puck to a streaking forward instead.

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, granted he does hit, but as soon as there is pressure on him he has been giving the puck away (but not as bad as coburn and schenn). Giroux has been awful at both ends of the ice, if he's really hurt and it's what is affecting his play, they need to sit him.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, granted he does hit, but as soon as there is pressure on him he has been giving the puck away (but not as bad as coburn and schenn). Giroux has been awful at both ends of the ice, if he's really hurt and it's what is affecting his play, they need to sit him.

have you not noticed mez out there? absolute nightmare under pressure, grossman has been our best d man this year.

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH I have, he shouldn't even be playing. I'm glad to see the GA down this year, mostly because of the goaltending, but most of our d-men are awful when under pressure. I'd rather see lauridsen back up and playing, than most of the guys out there now. On another note, how do 2 refs and 2 linesmen miss that high stick on timonen, I could ALMOST understand it if the puck isn't in the area, but they had to be paying attention to that play....chances are there are no more goals if they call that obvious penalty. None-the-less, they have to score some more goals.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't expect my team to be relentless and never say die if I'm not the exact same way as a fan in support of them. And they will rebound from this.

I am so disgusted after last night with this whole team in general. How did we fall this far with these players we have. Mason is standing on his head and we still cant score. I am going to church this weekend and pray our scoring touch comes back.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out what Coburn was doing on the play that led to the tie shot by the Staal bothers. He looked sort of confused and just cowered in the corner doing very little to stop that play. Sort of sleep-walking or something.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out what Coburn was doing on the play that led to the tie shot by the Staal bothers. He looked sort of confused and just cowered in the corner doing very little to stop that play. Sort of sleep-walking or something.

It shouldnt come down to one play that decides the game. On paper we are good enough to beat carolina handily. I wish i had an answer to our problems. :noidea:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you not noticed mez out there? absolute nightmare under pressure, grossman has been our best d man this year.

Mez has been very good the last two games, I have no complaints with him or Hal Gill

Nicklas Grossmann blocks a lot of shots but his Hockey IQ is severely low - his stupid icing started this whole cavalcade of events at the end of this game

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were some glaring mental mistakes last evening and maybe that is the missing ingredient that will come with playing together over time under a new coach. I agree Grossman's icing call started a series of mental miscues and ridiculous paly that led to the tie and then the win by Carolina. Those sorts of things are of the mentality of finding ways to lose games rather than winning games. It reminded me of what the Rams are now doing in the NFL. Just finding ways to lose each week and not really giving a damn about the outcome.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so disgusted after last night with this whole team in general. How did we fall this far with these players we have. Mason is standing on his head and we still cant score. I am going to church this weekend and pray our scoring touch comes back.

I don't think any of us are close enough to the situation to know exactly what the hell happened here, but it appears that this team was completely unprepared to start a season. It's as if they're complete strangers that have all been plucked from the middle of the offseason with no prior practice or even notice, then told to go play hockey together.

Shots and passes are routinely off the mark. Defensive coverage by forwards is often below average. The power play is completely atrocious and now struggles even to hold the offensive zone. We give up way too many shots and don't get enough for ourselves. And really, nobody aside from Couturier is winning enough faceoffs. Last season, G led the league in faceoff wins and was clicking at close to 55%. Hall was over 56% overall and around 59% for us. Lecavalier was over 54%. Hell, Couturier was our worst center at draws last season and now he's suddenly our best. That speaks a lot to his improvements and the downward spiral of his teammates.

In the game last night, it just seemed like we were trying to win 1-0 right from the start. Carolina was forechecking all over the ice and it led to a ton of takeways, more time of possession and shots. The only advantage we had was Mason and that was going to be good enough.

You get the feeling that this is not fun for any of the players right now and that's causing it to snowball even more than it already has. Every time we score a goal for God's sake, it's like "OMG a goal...what do we do now?" LOL

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said it in other threads too, but the icing was just as much Giroux as it was Grossmann. Giroux shouldve skated the puck out instead of sit back and wait for the pressure from a cane. Giroux with space vs Grossmann with no space. Giroux has to know he's the better option there and not to sit and waste 3 seconds of time.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Grossmann messed up last night, but if you look at the numbers, he's been a rock for the Flyers to the best of his ability. Among the league leaders in blocks & hits. He's not a skilled dman so to hold him to that standard is somewhat unfair IMO. I think he's been a major part in whatever success the Flyers have had so far. Statistically speaking, I think only Steve Mason & Brayden Schenn have been better for the Flyers this season.