• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peter King...The Brady Appeal: What’s Next in Deflategate Drama

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some might suggest you fall on your sword, whichever edge you choose. :whistle:
nah, take the PR hit. "i wasnt as forthcoming because in all honesty, this is something most every NFL QB does. i felt if i was honest, i would have broken the code of NFL QB's and footballs. i apologize to the league, the patriots, and to our fans for my decision to listen to team counsel and deny what we all know i had done"

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad strategy for him to take. Might be smartest at this point.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know there is zero chance he comes out and says that right?

And yet he will still get the suspension dropped to 2 games most likely.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad strategy for him to take. Might be smartest at this point.
yup

and i can see it happening...not verbatim, but along those lines.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know there is zero chance he comes out and says that right?

And yet he will still get the suspension dropped to 2 games most likely.
you think if goodell gets tommy boy to fall on the sword publicly like i outlined this could ALL go away?

honestly...i can. the team will get theirs, we know that...but the player...with the lack of precedent and a public apology along those lines...

both sides can come out looking "ok". goodell keeps his integrity of the office, brady is shown to be the bad guy..both the NFL and patriots/brady come out of this ok.

there is already plenty of precedent for reducing suspensions, goodell has a huge file of those.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think if goodell gets tommy boy to fall on the sword publicly like i outlined this could ALL go away?

honestly...i can. the team will get theirs, we know that...but the player...with the lack of precedent and a public apology along those lines...

both sides can come out looking "ok". goodell keeps his integrity of the office, brady is shown to be the bad guy..both the NFL and patriots/brady come out of this ok.

there is already plenty of precdent for reducing suspensions, goodell has a huge file of those.

I don't think it ALL goes away, but I imagine if Tommy is a little more forthcoming about his role, even if only in private to Goodell, it will get him a reduced suspension. I don't think there is a scenario where Goody doesn't make him sit at least a game or two.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady cares too much about his image to admit it. Hell, I don't really know why none of these high profile people admit shit even when caught red handed, but they deny deny deny all the way.

I can't see Brady admitting it as long as there is enough gray area to leave some plausible deniability to his fans. I really think he would rather pay the higher price in terms of suspension and whatnot to leave the seed of his true innocence in the minds of his fans.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it ALL goes away, but I imagine if Tommy is a little more forthcoming about his role, even if only in private to Goodell, it will get him a reduced suspension. I don't think there is a scenario where Goody doesn't make him sit at least a game or two.
Precedent for tampering with equipment is very well established. If he flat out admitted to it (even now at this late date) his suspension would be entirely commuted to a fine based on the rules which is set at 25k. Now I would argue it should be per ball, but even that is unlikely. I'd bet he gets zero games and just a fine.

The league would just be happy to come out looking good and being able to put it all behind them.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precedent for tampering with equipment is very well established. If he flat out admitted to it (even now at this late date) his suspension would be entirely commuted to a fine based on the rules which is set at 25k. Now I would argue it should be per ball, but even that is unlikely. I'd bet he gets zero games and just a fine.

The league would just be happy to come out looking good and being able to put it all behind them.

The problem is that his punishment isn't just about the tampering any more. It's about the lack of cooperation. I think the league will have to dole out some punishment for that to prevent more stonewalling in the future.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if the suspension was ever reduced to zero games myself.

Part of the 4 game suspension is related to obstruction.

Separate issue from deflation.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that his punishment isn't just about the tampering any more. It's about the lack of cooperation. I think the league will have to dole out some punishment for that to prevent more stonewalling in the future.
This

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But coming clean now gives them what they asked for. I think they would add to the fine, but no games. Cooperating now gives them more of a weapon against others later if they let him loose. Just picture it, "You know it's still not too late to tell us the truth.".

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But coming clean now gives them what they asked for. I think they would add to the fine, but no games. Cooperating now gives them more of a weapon against others later if they let him loose. Just picture it, "You know it's still not too late to tell us the truth.".

I agree that there should be some compromise to encourage cooperation, even if it comes late, but don't think it will completely absolve him of wrongdoing. What I envision is a three tier punishment system:

- Come clean right away and cooperate: Punishment A (which may be no punishment at all)
- Don't cooperate at all: Punishment B
- Cooperate after you are already handed Punishment B: Punishment C (which is somewhere between A and B)

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there should be some compromise to encourage cooperation, even if it comes late, but don't think it will completely absolve him of wrongdoing. What I envision is a three tier punishment system:

- Come clean right away and cooperate: Punishment A (which may be no punishment at all)
- Don't cooperate at all: Punishment B
- Cooperate after you are already handed Punishment B: Punishment C (which is somewhere between A and B)
If Brady admits to wrongdoing, then how can the NFL honestly let him off with only a fine? That is basically telling every other team out there that, if there is a rule you don't like then just knowingly violate that rule. Likely you won't get caught anyways, but if you do, just a fine. Cost of doing business.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brady admits to wrongdoing, then how can the NFL honestly let him off with only a fine? That is basically telling every other team out there that, if there is a rule you don't like then just knowingly violate that rule. Likely you won't get caught anyways, but if you do, just a fine. Cost of doing business.
Because that's all that is in the rule book for tampering with equipment. It has been 25k every time they have had to hand down a penalty.

Look, I get it. Everyone wants the evil fucking Patriots to pay dearly. You want their first born male sons and whatnot. People aren't up in arms because of the actual infraction, but who did it.

But the league has to look at balance and fairness. They can't throw a book at Brady over spygate and other prior transgressions because they do not apply here. That's what the team penalty was for.

If he admits to knowingly tampering with the balls they have to treat him the same as eveyrone else that has also done so before him. Sure, give him added fines for lying and hindering, but that's about it.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that's all that is in the rule book for tampering with equipment. It has been 25k every time they have had to hand down a penalty.

Look, I get it. Everyone wants the evil fucking Patriots to pay dearly. You want their first born male sons and whatnot. People aren't up in arms because of the actual infraction, but who did it.

But the league has to look at balance and fairness. They can't throw a book at Brady over spygate and other prior transgressions because they do not apply here. That's what the team penalty was for.

If he admits to knowingly tampering with the balls they have to treat him the same as eveyrone else that has also done so before him. Sure, give him added fines for lying and hindering, but that's about it.
can i give this 5 stars?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I want is accountability and a sense of genuine regret from the guilty parties. I don't think that is coming anytime soon.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the regret part is optional. If he did admit it the fans across the country would be going ape shit on the dude. The league might let him off, but his stock will fall hard. This is why I really don't see him coming clean.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if a judge gives me 4 years in prison for armed robbery, but my lawyer gets it knocked down to 2 years after a "successful" appeal does that mean I'm not a robber anymore? I don't see how this would be a win for Brady, unless his only goal is to get back on the field sooner and not worry about what deflategate has done to his reputation.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if a judge gives me 4 years in prison for armed robbery, but my lawyer gets it knocked down to 2 years after a "successful" appeal does that mean I'm not a robber anymore? I don't see how this would be a win for Brady, unless his only goal is to get back on the field sooner and not worry about what deflategate has done to his reputation.
It seems that the logic people would apply is that if you get 4 years in prison for armed robbery but you decide to admit your guilt to the judge, he will take away your prison sentence, and ask that you pay a fine equal to less than 1% of your next paycheck