• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GNT/GDT week 6 (Nov 9 - Nov 15)

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First win under Johnston when down heading into the 3rd period! The Pens were 0-22-5...now 1-22-5...Finally!!!

Did you happen to notice how well Maatta played last night? Saved a goal at one end of the ice, and with a center drive jumping up into the play from his position he was rewarded with a puck that deflected off of him.

Be patient with the kid, scouty. He's the future #1 of this team.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even notice him on the ice to be honest. I also missed the entire 2nd period...thank god!

I hope you are right about Maata, but he has had like one half of a year that was promising...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the game last night, but I noticed that Zatkoff was in the game for a little bit. What happened there?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovejoy poked Fleury in the face with his stick, and MAF had to go to the locker room to get some work.
Thanks for the info. If it was Ian Cole that did that instead of Lovejoy, I would be irate right now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Cole & Rob Scuderi being paired up together?
:doh:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness, Ian Cole can't even skate :L

Putting him on the power play is just begging for a shorthanded goal.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens' dmen can't even hold the puck at the blue line :L

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I really can't tell the difference between Kris Letang & Ian Cole, neither one could handle the puck to save their life tonight.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not a fan of Mike Johnston hockey. Trying to win every game 2-1 just isn't a good strategy, gives the goalie no margin for error. On top of that, it's the complete opposite of what I think of when I think of Penguins hockey. Top it off, not sure if the defense is really that great either, I think MAF has just improved greatly the past 2 seasons.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we didn't get shutout.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not a fan of Mike Johnston hockey. Trying to win every game 2-1 just isn't a good strategy, gives the goalie no margin for error. On top of that, it's the complete opposite of what I think of when I think of Penguins hockey. Top it off, not sure if the defense is really that great either, I think MAF has just improved greatly the past 2 seasons.
That wasn't his style in Portland and it isn't with the Pens...it's the freaking supposed talent that is inept...Skid was becoming adam oates under Bilesma and he's regressed even further...I don't know what happened to the team that started out crazy the first 4- 5 weeks last year, but the supposed talent looks like shit

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't his style in Portland and it isn't with the Pens...it's the freaking supposed talent that is inept...Skid was becoming adam oates under Bilesma and he's regressed even further...I don't know what happened to the team that started out crazy the first 4- 5 weeks last year, but the supposed talent looks like shit
That's the style of the WHL tho, you gotta remember that he had a very talented team in Portland, and it wasn't hard putting up good offensive numbers in spite of playing a defensive style. We saw what happened to his team when they faced an equally talented team in the Memorial Cup Final...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the style of the WHL tho, you gotta remember that he had a very talented team in Portland, and it wasn't hard putting up good offensive numbers in spite of playing a defensive style. We saw what happened to his team when they faced an equally talented team in the Memorial Cup Final...

I agree, although the defensive system that Johnston uses in the NHL isn't all that different from the 29 others. The conservative nature that NHL coaches employ in their game plan is pretty much the same across the board. Scoring in the NHL has become harder than ever.

Tampa, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Columbus all rate in the bottom third league-wide in scoring. All the previous mentioned are studded with offense. None of them can score even above 2.5 goals per through 16 games played. Not a huge sample, but it follows the trend that the NHL has been on the past 3 seasons of steadily declining scoring.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, although the defensive system that Johnston uses in the NHL isn't all that different from the 29 others. The conservative nature that NHL coaches employ in their game plan is pretty much the same across the board. Scoring in the NHL has become harder than ever.

Tampa, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Columbus all rate in the bottom third league-wide in scoring. All the previous mentioned are studded with offense. None of them can score even above 2.5 goals per through 16 games played. Not a huge sample, but it follows the trend that the NHL has been on the past 3 seasons of steadily declining scoring.
Probably need bigger nets.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably need bigger nets.

I've been reading about that convo of late, but IMHO, if the officials called obstruction and interference consistently, the decline in scoring would solve itself. The coaches would be forced to employ a new defensive system that doesn't include clogging up the neutral zone and slowing down the pace of play by essentially cheating the rules.

It is amazing how few times during an NHL game where the puck carrier is able to cross even two lines and maintain possession of the puck. Last night against Torts, and surely tonight against NJ, it will play out the same way.

It's boring hockey. These games early in the season almost become un-watchable. I'll continue to watch, cause I love the team, but the overall quality of the game is in decline. Jamie Benn won the Ross last season with 87 freakin points! That's lame.