• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 21 (Feb 23 - Mar 1)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preaching to the choir. I'd like to think MJ will rotate a few guys in and out to see what works, ie Downie, Bennett, and Adams taking turns in the press box. No matter what we think of them, those are the three guys up for being scratched on any given night.

Yep. I suppose I think more offensively, because the answer is pretty obvious as to who provides the least in that regard. But even looking at fancy stats, one is far worse.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EDIT: Also, bums me out how misused he seems to be lately. Fourth line? Bleh.

I agree. Really pointless to have him out there with Adams, Lappy, ect.

I could see Bennett being JR's trade chip on Monday. The coaching staff isn't using him. He skated less than 8 minutes last night. They haven't given him enough of a chance. I recognize he has ability, and I'm just a novice! He needs the right situation and I bet he would flourish. He's had the injury bug, but Bennett has started 28 games this season, and that is a new personal best in his career. He needs 60 some games in one season to show what he can do.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Really pointless to have him out there with Adams, Lappy, ect.

I could see Bennett being JR's trade chip on Monday. The coaching staff isn't using him. He skated less than 8 minutes last night. They haven't given him enough of a chance. I recognize he has ability, and I'm just a novice! He needs the right situation and I bet he would flourish. He's had the injury bug, but Bennett has started 28 games this season, and that is a new personal best in his career. He needs 60 some games in one season to show what he can do.

After those three scratches in a row, I really thought he was gone. I don't see the Pens making any more moves this season, but in the offseason I wouldn't be surprised if he were moved. Bums me out, because when you see the numbers they simply scream that he needs more minutes and he'll make an impact on the scoreboard. Playing with Sutter or on the fourth line is NOT his game.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rutherford is smarter than trading the only potential top 6 forward in the system, while he is still making 800k.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preaching to the choir. I'd like to think MJ will rotate a few guys in and out to see what works, ie Downie, Bennett, and Adams taking turns in the press box. No matter what we think of them, those are the three guys up for being scratched on any given night.

I agree with you. I think Bennett is going to be really good in a couple of years and I'd hate to see him traded. Especially if it means that Adams sticks around.

The trade for Winnik doesn't seem too bad. I would have given up Sill for a bag of pucks and a stick rack, but the second round draft pick next year seems a bit high.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all value Beau more than me...he is too easy to beat up by playing physical

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, Bennett doesn't play small on the ice, just gets hurt a lot.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Him and Crosby shy away from any physical contact and this is an issue when it's playoff time and the teams they face night in and night out are bigger and more physical. It's why they suffer against Washington

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't forecheck at all...they do flyby's..

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't forecheck at all...they do flyby's..

I mean, maybe not as great this year, but in the past few weeks that's been the biggest strength. Sid's work along the boards is still a strength. He takes a beating and holds onto the puck still. Bennett isn't as good at that, but he is what he is: skilled perimeter player. Interestingly enough, Jim Rutherford basically said that today about Beau. He was on the Fan and asked about Beau and what he needs to do better, and if being more physical was the solution. Paraphrasing, but he basically said "Hell no, he's not a physical player. He's a young skilled forward who needs to learn the league a bit more."

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point, he's not a physical player. Neither is Sid. Malkin, Kuni, Horni, Perron...those are the ballers. Sid and Beau float

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect them to roll Columbus today. 5 goals if not more. I am excited to see Winnick on the 3rd line

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect them to roll Columbus today. 5 goals if not more. I am excited to see Winnick on the 3rd line

We'll be lucky to see five goals combined with this trap happy club. I love how Malkin just takes it upon himself to skate past all that crap and bury that backhand. I think his last three goals have been of that variety. Geno's playing some amazing hockey right now.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll be lucky to see five goals combined with this trap happy club. I love how Malkin just takes it upon himself to skate past all that crap and bury that backhand. I think his last three goals have been of that variety. Geno's playing some amazing hockey right now.

I really like the way Malkin can grab the puck when the Pens are disorganized and just skate around people. Even if he doesn't score he seems to let the Pens regroup and start playing again.

Fluery had a monster game until he let that last softie go in. I was even thinking about him as the number 1 star.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what makes Malkin invaluable...he can just take it over and demand his presence be felt...when oh when has Sid ever done that???? Sid is an enigma...a floater...a poor mans Adam Oates.

Good game till the softy let in at the end. Easily should have rolled a team that played 7 games in 10 days and had played the night before...and yet, they still struggled too much for my liking.

I am just never happy!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point, he's not a physical player. Neither is Sid. Malkin, Kuni, Horni, Perron...those are the ballers. Sid and Beau float

You're expecting people to be things they are not. I get that the Pens have 'not physical' tag, and now any person who is not overtly physical apparently sucks or something.

Sid is a terrific board player. Finishing every check when the puck has already moved isn't his game. It's actually not anyone's game besides the 3rd/4th line.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said...I am never happy. And I expect a lot more than what we are seeing from Sid. Those who don't, I just don't think are watching the same games I am...:suds: