• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT | 4/1-4/5

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looked like Malkin was out of shape...basically played Malkinesque the first period then disappeared.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only watched the first two periods, thought Malkin was ok, looked like he was trying to do a little too much at times leading to turnovers or poor positioning.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 1-3 since Kris Letang left the game against Phoenix. They've given up 15 goals in the four games Letang has missed. I am not suprised by any of this.

You simply don't replace a Norris caliber defenseman. He is their TOI leader by a mile. Powerplay, penalty kill and 5v5, he is either the leader, or in the top three in time on ice. If their season wasn't sabotaged before Letang got hurt, it certainly is now.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to do the thread this week :doh:

Sorry guys, been getting ready for a trip to Costa Rica, I won't be here for the next 2 weeks. Please accept my apologies, I feel really bad about this.

Hey, Doob, hope you have a great time in Costa Rica, soak up some sun and get lots of Vitamin T (Tequila) :thumb:

Pens might even be out of your misery by then. If they make it to the playoffs at all, they definitely won't make it out of the first round.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only watched the first two periods, thought Malkin was ok, looked like he was trying to do a little too much at times leading to turnovers or poor positioning.

I agree. Third period he was looking a little gassed and a lot frustrated from hitting the post.

Pens played better yesterday than I've seen them play in a while, Flyers got a lucky bounce on the second goal, Pens hit the post a couple times and Mason had a monster game. Not much more you can say.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is scoring...they weren't doing it with Letang, and it certainly doesn't help that he is out either. You can't win with only scoring 1 goal a game.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Pens win any of their remaining games

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is scoring...they weren't doing it with Letang, and it certainly doesn't help that he is out either. You can't win with only scoring 1 goal a game.

Seems like they need the Letang, Malkin, Crosby trio together more than ever. Without Sid or Malkin their record is terrible, and they can't score. Not sure what it is without Letang, but wouldn't be surprised if the results were the same, can't score.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like they need the Letang, Malkin, Crosby trio together more than ever. Without Sid or Malkin their record is terrible, and they can't score. Not sure what it is without Letang, but wouldn't be surprised if the results were the same, can't score.

It's not just a lack of scoring without Letang. They are hemorrhaging goals against since Letang left the ice last week. 15 goals against in the four games he's missed

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just a lack of scoring without Letang. They are hemorrhaging goals against since Letang left the ice last week. 15 goals against in the four games he's missed

Yep that too. More minutes for guys who aren't capable of playing them effectively.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep that too. More minutes for guys who aren't capable of playing them effectively.

I knew losing him would be devastating. In fact, all season long I kept waiting on it to happen, because past history has shown that, unfortunately, Letang is very injury prone. Of all the players who would be the most missed on the roster to lose to injury, I'd put Letang at 1b and Fleury at 1a.. followed by Crosby and Malkin.

There is just no one who can do what he does in all phases of the game. Stupid Shane Doan :tsk:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Letang has really stepped up his game this year. He used to be so up and down, especially defensively, but he is a terrific one v one defender who is getting better positionally.

Anyway this team needs a reset, still hope they can go as far as they can this year, but they need to move on from some of the long term guys not named Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fluery. Anaheim won a cup, got old, and got young again, while only missing the playoffs one time. It doesn't have to be a long haul back.

There is no use in paying Kunitz, Scuderi, Martin, and Dupuis if you don't have to. All have varying degrees of statuses going forward, but it needs to start with that type of player.