• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pegeuro, Chavez> Ibanez, Bay

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saunders was the DH in Tacoma last night and should probably be back beginning of next week. Do not know about Guti but I wouldnt expect him anytime soon. Bottom line is when he comes back one of the 4 above will go.

I think Peguero is the obvious choice but personally I dont agree. When comparing Peguero and Ibanez they are similair players except I feel like Peguero could bring you more in just about every category then Ibanez. Slightly better fielder, more power, slightly faster, younger but essentially the same guy.

I love Raul but his time is done. You cant put him the field and his bat is too slow. I dont think that's the move they will make but I wish they would. Chavez shouldnt go anywhere. He has been great in the leadoff spot, hitting over .300 and playing great D. Hopefully we do the right thing here.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. As much as it pains me to say Carlos Peguero is better than any major league player I think he makes more sense than Raul Ibanez or Jason Bay. He can probably match both of their batting averages (around .200) and hit with as much if not more power, but he's younger than both of them which makes him a better option IMO.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack nor the Mariners have the balls to release Ibanez so it would be Bay if anyone is to go which is only going to hurt the roster having all left handed outfielders until Guti gets back.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack nor the Mariners have the balls to release Ibanez so it would be Bay if anyone is to go which is only going to hurt the roster having all left handed outfielders until Guti gets back.

It's probably because at Mariners games it felt like Raul is the only one who would get any cheers when his name was announced.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul would make sense for a NL team for pinch hitting. He should never be seeing the field as an outfielder. Even if he was hitting .280 it would be a bad idea just because of how poor he is defensively. Im not saying I love Pegeuro and think he's a future star, but he is better then Raul in every aspect on the field , including his stolen base tonight.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true. Given the longtime friendships Ibanez has within the organization, I would bet that there is a gentleman's agreement with Ibanez that he will not be traded nor released without his consent, and the agreement will be honored.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul would make sense for a NL team for pinch hitting. He should never be seeing the field as an outfielder.

If he should never see the field, wouldn't he be a better fit for the American League? He can DH in the AL without being a defensive liability. Anyway, his bat speed sucks and he is a defensive nightmare. I hate to see the man embarrassing himself like this, given what he meant to the Mariners from 04-08. He's made over $60 million in his career. He doesn't need his salary this year. He should retire.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. Given the longtime friendships Ibanez has within the organization, I would bet that there is a gentleman's agreement with Ibanez that he will not be traded nor released without his consent, and the agreement will be honored.

Pretty sure there was a gentleman's agreement with all the 2002 squad when they could no longer perform or in Boone's case quit taking roids.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. As much as it pains me to say Carlos Peguero is better than any major league player I think he makes more sense than Raul Ibanez or Jason Bay. He can probably match both of their batting averages (around .200) and hit with as much if not more power, but he's younger than both of them which makes him a better option IMO.

I figure I should probably revisit this comment for a second as I was thinking about how Raul and Bay have actually been pretty solid at the plate this year.

Here is a look at the offensive performance of Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay:

Raul Ibanez: 76 AB 6 HR 17 RBI .224 AVG .272 OBP .526 SLG
Jason Bay: 79 AB 4 HR 10 RBI .241 AVG .344 OBP .430 SLG
Total: 155 AB 10 HR 27 RBI .232 AVG .304 OBP

Obviously nothing special but considering their age and what we expected from them, 10 HRs 27 RBIs in 155 ABs is pretty solid. Assuming a full season is ~600 ABs that would project at around 40 HRs over an entire season. Obviously not sustainable but they have not been that terrible so far.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit they have been exponentially better than when I started this thread. They are have both proven to be quality major league hitters in their careers so they will definately have their good moments. I am still not convinced they are the best options for this team all year but as long as others hit as well its all good.

Still would like to limit Ibanez in the field most of the time. We will see if he still hits once we leave Yankee stadium.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im pretty sure jack wanted to play ibanez because the yanks were his old team last year and wanted to see if he was motivated to play in this series. after his performance i would assume he will get more AB's because up until now he wasnt doing to much.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit they have been exponentially better than when I started this thread. They are have both proven to be quality major league hitters in their careers so they will definately have their good moments. I am still not convinced they are the best options for this team all year but as long as others hit as well its all good.

Still would like to limit Ibanez in the field most of the time. We will see if he still hits once we leave Yankee stadium.

If the season was only two games, the last two games, Ibanez would have had a great year. But, it isn't. Raul has 3 homeruns and 8 RBI in the last two days. The rest of his season still sucks.

The guy who has been a surprise is Jason Bay. He's been far more consistent that Ibanez, and his bat speed is still there. Raul's bat speed is long gone.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the season was only two games, the last two games, Ibanez would have had a great year. But, it isn't. Raul has 3 homeruns and 8 RBI in the last two days. The rest of his season still sucks.

The guy who has been a surprise is Jason Bay. He's been far more consistent that Ibanez, and his bat speed is still there. Raul's bat speed is long gone.

I am pleased with Bays performance thus far. Young season though.