• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Palmer Possibly Looking For New Team

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Jason LaCanfora:

"Sounds like Matt Flynn heading to Oakland via trade, and Carson Palmer will be on his way out (possibly to AZ). trying to nail down details"

I was just getting ready to post this.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That imo is a little crazy. Oakland would save $6 million in cap hit for releasing Carson. Flynn would cost $5.25 million. They save all of $750,000 off the cap.

It's crazy unless they really believe Flynn is their future. Their GM Mckenzie is from GB, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they trade for him unless they really believe he is their QB of the future.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess for a team in their situation, getting a "starting" QB at that rate even for a couple of years isn't a bad trade off. It at least buys them some time to find their QB of the future. But that only makes sense if they're trading a very low pick (5th rounder-ish). I also heard it could be a trade straight up for Pryor, but that's just a rumor.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would Seattle want with Pryor? And shouldn't they keep Pryor for a backup since they have no one else?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's just a cheaper backup than having Flynn. Plus it gives them a project QB with similar running ability. Again, just a rumor. But at the same time, I'm hard-pressed to see Oakland giving up picks. They already don't have a 2nd rounder and have a ton of holes.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just a cheaper backup than having Flynn. Plus it gives them a project QB with similar running ability. Again, just a rumor. But at the same time, I'm hard-pressed to see Oakland giving up picks. They already don't have a 2nd rounder and have a ton of holes.

I mean It makes sense for Oakland and Seattle too I guess.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Raiders appear close to adding Matt Flynn, cutting Carson Palmer | ProFootballTalk

The Seahawks are deep in talks with Raiders on a Flynn trade, sources told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The last holdup appears to be that the Raiders want to take one more shot at trying to convince Carson Palmer to take a pay cut and stick around on a revised contract.

But Palmer is reportedly dead set against taking less from the Raiders, so it will apparently be Flynn who’s leading the Silver and Black in 2013.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 9m

Seahawks will get a 2013 draft pick and some sort of conditional pick in 2014 as part of the Matt Flynn trade, if it's completed.

Based on this, you could expect it to be 2 late round picks.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palmer refused to restructure his contract to enable a trade to the Cards, according to La Canfora. That holds off the Flynn trade as well. What a power play!

The Cards were the obvious landing spot. And I don't think he's pulling this so he can play for the Jags or the Bills. This is pretty interesting..

I'll start the campaign...

MB...Bring the Prodigal Son home!!!!

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, for one, he wants options in the offseason (at this point if the Raiders grant him that is a separate story, technically they can hold him through training camp - I doubt they do though). So, there's no saying he doesn't end up with the Cards anyways after seeing his options if he gets released in time.

Secondly, he's obviously a family man and he wants to be close to home. There are rumors that he'd be willing to accept a backup role with the 49ers. So maybe that's what he's holding out for. Release me and I'll sign with them. Just speculation, but te could be content playing for the Raiders for $13 million, or (more preferably) backing up Kaepernick for the vet minimum. In either case he doesn't have to move.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, for one, he wants options in the offseason (at this point if the Raiders grant him that is a separate story, technically they can hold him through training camp - I doubt they do though). So, there's no saying he doesn't end up with the Cards anyways after seeing his options if he gets released in time.

Secondly, he's obviously a family man and he wants to be close to home. There are rumors that he'd be willing to accept a backup role with the 49ers. So maybe that's what he's holding out for. Release me and I'll sign with them. Just speculation, but te could be content playing for the Raiders for $13 million, or (more preferably) backing up Kaepernick for the vet minimum. In either case he doesn't have to move.

I'm just not buying the backup story. I don't think he's leaving millions of dollars on the table and his last yrs as a starter in the league to hold a clipboard..

The Bucs are reportedly interested.. they have the second most cap space in the leauge, a future elite RB, and one of the best WR tandems in the game...

And FWIW, the insider guy who knows CP has said one of the teams interested in him is a big surprise... that was last week though

edit- I agree the Cards are still in play, I just think his refusal of a trade there indicates to me he has some options

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree it's a tough sell of him signing with the 49ers as a backup, but this is the same guy who was willing to retire than play for the Bengals. He obviously holds his family as the biggest priority in his life.

As for the 49ers, if Kaepernick as much as sprains his ankle, Carson is money. He'll be starting for a SB caliber team. Also, he has confidence in his abilities, so maybe he thinks he could beat out Kaepernick for the starting job. And if there's anyone that would have the guts to make a switch, we all know it's Harbaugh.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree it's a tough sell of him signing with the 49ers as a backup, but this is the same guy who was willing to retire than play for the Bengals. He obviously holds his family as the biggest priority in his life.

As for the 49ers, if Kaepernick as much as sprains his ankle, Carson is money. He'll be starting for a SB caliber team. Also, he has confidence in his abilities, so maybe he thinks he could beat out Kaepernick for the starting job. And if there's anyone that would have the guts to make a switch, we all know it's Harbaugh.

I agree with all of this.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Carson thinks he can beat Kaepernick for the starting job, then he's nuts.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True. But he could easily be the beneficiary of a Kaepernick injury.

This...

obviously you hope every player stays healthy, but QBs who use their legs are injury prone. the exception being Cam Newton who's stronger than most of the guys tackling him..

if he wants one last shot at winning a SB, that's probably a better bet than going back to Oakland or playing behind a porous line in Az.

everybody also seems to agree that defenses will have figured out the read option this yr too. it's going to probably be more hits on the QBs running it