• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ozzie Smith leading drive to turn opening day into holiday

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,993.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Smith wants the federal government to make the opening day of the Major League Baseball season a national holiday.

The Hall of Fame shortstop is leading a campaign to collect 100,000 signatures within 30 days under the We the People petitioning program, which would trigger a review by the Obama administration. The effort is being backed by Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand.

"Coming from St. Louis, of course being such as baseball town, it's sort of an unofficial holiday, opening day, so they thought it would be a good idea for Mr. Smith to just take a trip to Washington," Smith said Tuesday during a telephone interview.

Source: ESPN

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Smith wants the federal government to make the opening day of the Major League Baseball season a national holiday.

The Hall of Fame shortstop is leading a campaign to collect 100,000 signatures within 30 days under the We the People petitioning program, which would trigger a review by the Obama administration. The effort is being backed by Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand.

"Coming from St. Louis, of course being such as baseball town, it's sort of an unofficial holiday, opening day, so they thought it would be a good idea for Mr. Smith to just take a trip to Washington," Smith said Tuesday during a telephone interview.

Source: ESPN

Throwing all logical thought out the door, I like the idea.

But getting the gov'm'nt involved in this is a gross-overstep. Let parents make the decision to pull their kids out of school, and then add the learning experience of having to make up the work. If an adult wants to take the day to go to the park, spend the PTO. If you don't have a job that gives PTO, than either just take the day, or do without (Life is full of disappointment. Get over it!)

In all reality, this is not a realistic proposal by Busch. This is just a PR stunt. And there is nothing wrong with that.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take the day off from work every year anyway. Luckily my boss is a big baseball fan so he gets it. I just take that Monday off. Can't wait, one of my favorite days of the year. I should be able to watch all of the games. 6 games between 1 and 4 (I'll watch 4 on my computer, 1 on TV, and 1 on my iPad). Thank you mlb.tv.

I'm giddy just thinking about it. And can't believe next year I'll be watching opening day with my first son, due in July

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How fucking stupid...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take the day off from work every year anyway. Luckily my boss is a big baseball fan so he gets it. I just take that Monday off. Can't wait, one of my favorite days of the year. I should be able to watch all of the games. 6 games between 1 and 4 (I'll watch 4 on my computer, 1 on TV, and 1 on my iPad). Thank you mlb.tv.

I'm giddy just thinking about it. And can't believe next year I'll be watching opening day with my first son, due in July

Congrats on that.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sadly I won't be having mlb.tv anytime soon. :( Hopefully I'll be able to get it later this season.

I had it the last two years. It's totally worth it.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sadly I won't be having mlb.tv anytime soon. :( Hopefully I'll be able to get it later this season.

I had it the last two years. It's totally worth it.

But it blocks the local team! I live in NW CT, so they block Boston & both NY teams! WTF!

It is absolutely insane that I can't watch Red Sox games without cable or satellite TV. I would gladly pay for just NESN, but it is not allowed. Argh!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it blocks the local team! I live in NW CT, so they block Boston & both NY teams! WTF!

It is absolutely insane that I can't watch Red Sox games without cable or satellite TV. I would gladly pay for just NESN, but it is not allowed. Argh!

I'm in NJ, so that isn't much of an issue at all for me. I couldn't watch them if they were playing the Mets or Yankees unless it was on FOX or channel 9. Yankees/Mets games on TBS and ESPN are usually blacked out here.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is ozzie bored? seems like a waste of time

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I nothing but respect for Ozzie's feats as a player, I can't see ANOTHER paid national holiday coming for sporting events. Makes no sense and wait for the conservatives to respond on this issue, there would be hell to pay for even mentioning such.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, the current American pastime, football, would be worthy of its own holiday. Day after SB. Either that or move the SB to Saturday.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never going to happen but it would be pretty damn cool if it did.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, the current American pastime, football, would be worthy of its own holiday. Day after SB. Either that or move the SB to Saturday.

I've never understood why they don't do it on a Saturday especially since they give both teams a week off. You know people want to drink and watch the game but also have to go to work the next day. If you do it on Saturday everyone gets Sunday to recover from their hangovers. I'm not a big drinker but Sundays after a late night Packer game or the day after the Super Bowl around here you see a lot of hangovers looming on Monday.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood why they don't do it on a Saturday especially since they give both teams a week off. You know people want to drink and watch the game but also have to go to work the next day. If you do it on Saturday everyone gets Sunday to recover from their hangovers. I'm not a big drinker but Sundays after a late night Packer game or the day after the Super Bowl around here you see a lot of hangovers looming on Monday.

There's a lot of events going on the day before Superbowl (parties, sponsored events, etc), and my guess is that moving those to Friday instead of a Saturday wouldn't be appealing.