• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - London Olympics thread

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

I like the Summer Olympics, but the Winter are my favorite because the number of events is more manageable. You have time to really soak in the athletes, the goings on of the day, see all the big things that happened, etc. It doesn't have to be chosen for you b/c there are only 3-4 events going on at a given time, and they are all televised. So you truly get to pick your Olympic experience. Summer has lots of cool stuff, but too many events, and too many of the same events - swimming and running literally have 100s of medals. Shooting has 14 different competitions. Really? It's a bit too much and I don't think you get the full experience in the Summer like you do in the Winter. It's mostly a swim meet followed by a track&field meet with some gymnastics, team sports, and random events thrown in. That said, I'll eat it all up and love it b/c I'm a sucker for the Olympics.

There's an 8 hour difference between England & the States. NBC will probably tape delay everything anyway which sucks. I don't even want to think about what they're going to do when the Winter Games are in Russia in 2014.:L

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's an 8 hour difference between England & the States. NBC will probably tape delay everything anyway which sucks. I don't even want to think about what they're going to do when the Winter Games are in Russia in 2014.:L

As far as I know, you can typically see things live on their many cable channels during the day, but they re-package things that have already happened and the most popular events into their 3-hour prime-time broadcast on their local NBC channels. My point was just no matter how hard they try for the summer games, it's too much to keep up with. To be honest, Olympic coverage today is amazing and vast compared to years ago. It's pretty cool they use so many networks and give us so many options.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to point out the most prolific one was Derek Roy. But then I realized *olympic*.

I don't watch the Summer Olympics with as much interest as I watch the Winter ones, although now with my old sport of BMX in it, that garners some interest.
I watch the cycling events, especially velodrome. And volleyball (not just beach) and swimming. Although, I do have to watch swimming with the sound off. We get it. Michael Phelps is good. STFU.

Agreed. I used to ride freestyle, but living so close to the South Park track growing made me a big fan. I'm actually kind of interested in basketball this year. It seems like a really competitive year... well, more competitive.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I know, you can typically see things live on their many cable channels during the day, but they re-package things that have already happened and the most popular events into their 3-hour prime-time broadcast on their local NBC channels. My point was just no matter how hard they try for the summer games, it's too much to keep up with. To be honest, Olympic coverage today is amazing and vast compared to years ago. It's pretty cool they use so many networks and give us so many options.

Yeah, I believe at the last olympics if you were up at like 4 or 5 in the morning you were able to watch things live. NBC doesn't spare any of their networks, NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, NBCSports, and I believe there are a couple I'm missing but, you get the point.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Puck, thank God swimming is inside. Ryan Lochte is dreamy.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MMM-Zoo-Lauryn-Mark-Cover-Blog.jpg

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Spain taking a hit already.

Rafa Nadal (reigning Gold medalist - tennis) is out, and now
Samuel Sanchez (reigning Gold medalist - cycling) is out.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spain taking a hit already.

Rafa Nadal (reigning Gold medalist - tennis) is out, and now
Samuel Sanchez (reigning Gold medalist - cycling) is out.

They just won the Euro. Fuck 'em.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just won the Euro. Fuck 'em.

I think their national psyche will survive these injuries after what happened Sunday (sorry if its been posted somewhere else)

in World Soccer, Spain are now uefa U-19, uefa U-21 and full international European Champions plus they hold the World Cup.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nuts.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer Olympics>>>Winter Olympics.
True story.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

for the record, it's between 5 to 8 hour difference between the US/Canada and England depending on where you are located in the US/Canada. and that's just continental. let's not even get into the alaska/hawaii thing