• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening Day: Indians @ Mariners 3/29/18 - 4/1/18

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paxton sucked ass but the little gem was the bullpen not allowing a hit the rest of the way. Those guys have brought their A game to start the year.
I think we have a plus bullpen. Losing Phelps hurts, but it's mitigated by Nicasio. Two solid lefties plus hard throwing righties, and then there's the triple digit closer. Lots of teams have worse.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

I'm somewhat worried because in that article Servais said:

"When I heard that, I wanted to throw up," Mariner manager Scott Servais said. "I really don't know any other way to put it. Our club has just battled through a bunch of nagging injuries here in spring training and early in the season here."

Which concerns me because that might mean Cruz was unable to put any weight on it. I was hoping it was merely a precaution to pull him.
I don't think it's very serious, but this team has become scared of its shadow with injuries. The slightest pain and we are putting guys on the DL and taking them out of games. I think it's in their head. At some point they need to start sucking it up a little more and play through the minor stuff.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's very serious, but this team has become scared of its shadow with injuries. The slightest pain and we are putting guys on the DL and taking them out of games. I think it's in their head. At some point they need to start sucking it up a little more and play through the minor stuff.

The thing is with Cruz, is he was already playing hurt to where it is 50/50 he should even be playing. With an ankle, they need to just put him on the DL and let him heal all the way. Much like Zunino could still be playing but it's 162 not a two week stretch.

It sucks losing that game when they had the Indians dead to rights. I get the logic with having Heredia bunt and Healy hitting and can't blame Servais for it but I would've like seeing Heredia hit away and Vogelbach pinch hit for Healy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is with Cruz, is he was already playing hurt to where it is 50/50 he should even be playing. With an ankle, they need to just put him on the DL and let him heal all the way. Much like Zunino could still be playing but it's 162 not a two week stretch.

It sucks losing that game when they had the Indians dead to rights. I get the logic with having Heredia bunt and Healy hitting and can't blame Servais for it but I would've like seeing Heredia hit away and Vogelbach pinch hit for Healy.
Nellie was already playing hurt?? Not what I was tracking. I read he twisted his ankle coming down the steps in the dugout after his HR.

We all get really smart when the coach/manager's plan doesn't work. People in here were bitching abut Felix getting the start on opening night instead of Pax, and we know how that turned out. People in here were bitching about Ichiro even being on the team, and today he has 2 hits and robs a HR. People in here were bitching about Vogelbach not starting over Healy, and V comes in today and looks like a special Olympian at the plate. I think some folks here need to have a reality check that they don't know everything, and the people who get paid to make these decisions just may have a better idea of what to do.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nellie was already playing hurt?? Not what I was tracking. I read he twisted his ankle coming down the steps in the dugout after his HR.

We all get really smart when the coach/manager's plan doesn't work. People in here were bitching abut Felix getting the start on opening night instead of Pax, and we know how that turned out. People in here were bitching about Ichiro even being on the team, and today he has 2 hits and robs a HR. People in here were bitching about Vogelbach not starting over Healy, and V comes in today and looks like a special Olympian at the plate. I think some folks here need to have a reality check that they don't know everything, and the people who get paid to make these decisions just may have a better idea of what to do.

I'm not sure if it was his calf, quad or something with his leg where he has been told to not run hard.

I can understand frustration that you are having but this is a message board, and Servais and Dipoto only have jobs because the Mariners we're the only team to offer them jobs, so being critical of them is fair. But today wasn't on either of them, it was the offense not being clutch in the 7th and 8th.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if it was his calf, quad or something with his leg where he has been told to not run hard.

I can understand frustration that you are having but this is a message board, and Servais and Dipoto only have jobs because the Mariners we're the only team to offer them jobs, so being critical of them is fair. But today wasn't on either of them, it was the offense not being clutch in the 7th and 8th.

Quad from spring training.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah you can tell he was told to take it easy. I recall he hit a hard grounder to SS and he sort of jogged to the base gingerly.

Whatever was bothering him may have been aggravated. Incredibly impressive that he still has so much raw power he was able to hit 2 HRs in 2 games while dealing with a nagging injury.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya, didn't want to misquote the exact injury. But you could tell from Thursdays game he was told to just give up on grounders. But with a quad and ankle injury they are taking a huge short sided risk on playing him (in my unprofessional opinion, just personal experience)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you can tell he was told to take it easy. I recall he hit a hard grounder to SS and he sort of jogged to the base gingerly.

Whatever was bothering him may have been aggravated. Incredibly impressive that he still has so much raw power he was able to hit 2 HRs in 2 games while dealing with a nagging injury.

Without question he has huge power and even with a quad and ankle issues I'm sure he could still go out there and play, just as Zunino could go and play right now too I'm guessing but getting them 100% healthy is better than playing at 50% for each of them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without question he has huge power and even with a quad and ankle issues I'm sure he could still go out there and play, just as Zunino could go and play right now too I'm guessing but getting them 100% healthy is better than playing at 50% for each of them.

I agree mostly because if you let an injury nag long enough, it could become a more serious issue.

Two completely different animals, but I believe that is what happened with Sherman with the Hawks. He had been dealing with that Achilles injury for a while but played through it, then ruptured it.

It's a frustrating situation either way. It wouldn't kill the Mariners to put Cruz on the 10-day DL rather than risk him playing at 50% then possibly risking a more serious injury.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bitching and moaning just gets old, and that is the order of the day on this board. It's truthfully a miserable place. I have posted here only sporadically the last couple years....looking for a place to have fun talking about the team and the game, but this just isn't it. Go Mariners!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree mostly because if you let an injury nag long enough, it could become a more serious issue.

Two completely different animals, but I believe that is what happened with Sherman with the Hawks. He had been dealing with that Achilles injury for a while but played through it, then ruptured it.

It's a frustrating situation either way. It wouldn't kill the Mariners to put Cruz on the 10-day DL rather than risk him playing at 50% then possibly risking a more serious injury.

Not sure at all with Sherman or Achilles, I had a tweaked (can't remember the exact name because I could play) hamstring and played through and it led to other issues that ended up costing me an entire summer league. Though I was more active than a DH but this isn't football, possibly kicking a few series by taking him out is worth it (especially with so many off days) to get him 100% once they start divisional play.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure at all with Sherman or Achilles, I had a tweaked (can't remember the exact name because I could play) hamstring and played through and it led to other issues that ended up costing me an entire summer league. Though I was more active than a DH but this isn't football, possibly kicking a few series by taking him out is worth it (especially with so many off days) to get him 100% once they start divisional play.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it is two different animals. Just saying it's an example of how playing through an injury can lead to worse injuries. But I'm no MD.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bitching and moaning just gets old, and that is the order of the day on this board. It's truthfully a miserable place. I have posted here only sporadically the last couple years....looking for a place to have fun talking about the team and the game, but this just isn't it. Go Mariners!

But welcome to the life of a Mariners fan though. They haven't done anything to get the benefit of the doubt from most fans. Being a Mariners fan can be miserable as even in the good times we just wait for the inevitable bad thing to happen. I do agree the overly hatred of Servais and critizism of the first two games is massively unwarranted.

But stay positive and keep posting, we do need positivity around here and may rub off on folks.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's why I mentioned it is two different animals. Just saying it's an example of how playing through an injury can lead to worse injuries. But I'm no MD.

No one here is, but no MD is perfect. That's why athletes always get second, third and sometimes 4th opinions. Most people don't have the money but the average Joe should too now since most general practitioners just use something similar to WebMD.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one here is, but no MD is perfect. That's why athletes always get second, third and sometimes 4th opinions. Most people don't have the money but the average Joe should too now since most general practitioners just something similar to WebMD.

Oh definitely. I just believe it's common sense that if you play through an injury, you're risking a more serious injury. When players are hurt, they're looking for someone to clear them to play through the pain. Pain is temporary, glory is eternal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think @wazzu31 hit the nail on the head. Yes there is a lot of bitching and moaning, but it's for good reason. That bitching and moaning is always backed by nothing but facts. We all love the franchise, but when have the worst record over the past 16 years of any big four franchise, we have reason to be pissed.

We all love talking about the team and the game, if you're here for that then you will have a lot of fun.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the new Doctor hired to help prevent these little "mishaps" is really earning her money. What a crock of bullshit we were fed when she was hired. This ST is probably the worse for injuries. And at least 2 new guys down right out of the gate. Let's hear it for the Mariners spending their money wisely. Just like Servishit, I want to "throw up". Yee gads.......

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the logic with having Heredia bunt and Healy hitting and can't blame Servais for it but I would've like seeing Heredia hit away and Vogelbach pinch hit for Healy.

I always have been in favor of the bunt when it gets a guy INTO scoring position or moves 1st and 2nd up to 2nd and 3rd ( eliminates double play on both ways )

But with NOBODY out and a guy already in scoring position with better than avg speed ... you let the next batter swing away. Nearly any hit scores him. So you have a 3/10 chance the next batter plates him or a 3/10 the batter after him plates the run as well and then the 3rd batter same 3/10 odds.

Hind sight is 20-20. I would have turned Heredia loose to swing as his slap hitting approach is tough to defend. Even a ground ball to 2nd accomplishes the same thing as the bunt would have.

bad call Servashit once again.

Never saw the game ... was golfing all day at Mill Creek Country club

Pulling for a good rubber game outing from Leake today

We touched them for enough runs to win yesterdays game. But not when you give up a 4 spot with 1 swing of the bat. What pitch did Alonso hit over the wall ? Curve or fastball ?