• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ok, beer guys, what's your take on Sour beer?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to a tasting that raised money for Prostate Cancer screenings here in town, and it was all Sour Beers, which I've come to enjoy. There were 20-25 different Breweries that sent selections (over 60)from across the states to this event.

So, what say you?

Like them as a style?

Don't?

Never had one before?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had one, but would be open to try.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Never tried one, probably won't. Just drink vinegar it is cheaper.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would try one... And probably will someday. Not sure I would like it though.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only had a few (Sierra Nevada Brux, New Holland Blue Sunday, The Bruery Tart of Darkness, and maybe a few others). Liked them all, especially Tart of Darkness. Bruery's known for making excellent sours.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of my favorite beers that i've ever had
396_1_large.jpg

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried a few...there are some that are a bit on the cidery side, and as someone noted some can have a vinegary finish.....meh....though I do understand their growing popularity, I lean more toward the traditional beers, crafts, and some bitters.

The 20 Best New Sour Beers in the World | Serious Eats: Drinks

Last edited by a moderator:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely love them. There's a pretty big difference between the more classic Belgian styles like Unblended Lambic, Gueuze, Krieks, Framboise, and Flemish/Flanders styles and American Wild ales.

Too many of the American versions are just sour for the sake of being sour without any depth. Breweries like Upland and Cascade come to mind here. Some of the better American styles that I've had have come from Russian River and Crooked Stave though, so there are some promising beers stateside.

I still have much more love for great Belgian brewers and blenders like Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen though. I pretty much cannot get enough good gueuze.

With all the wild yeasts and bacteria though, these beers can absolutely ruin your insides. Enjoy some time on the throne after a long day of sour beer drinking.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely love them. There's a pretty big difference between the more classic Belgian styles like Unblended Lambic, Gueuze, Krieks, Framboise, and Flemish/Flanders styles and American Wild ales.

Too many of the American versions are just sour for the sake of being sour without any depth. Breweries like Upland and Cascade come to mind here. Some of the better American styles that I've had have come from Russian River and Crooked Stave though, so there are some promising beers stateside.

I still have much more love for great Belgian brewers and blenders like Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen though. I pretty much cannot get enough good gueuze.

With all the wild yeasts and bacteria though, these beers can absolutely ruin your insides. Enjoy some time on the throne after a long day of sour beer drinking.

You know Crooked Stave? I am acquaintances with those guys.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never had that problem. And I have been to Sour Fest...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DUCHESS! A good one. Love me some sours. Second favorite style. Makes me slow down my drinking. I crush other stuff but savor the sours...

you got to, or you'll go broke!

'round here, a 12oz bottle of duchess goes for about $7

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Crooked Stave? I am acquaintances with those guys.
Very cool. Yeah, they definitely know their stuff when it comes to sour beers. I've only had a few from them and they put out a ton of different beers, but Surette is delicious.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One suggestion I would give you guys that are willing to try one at some later date. Don't SNIFF it before you taste it.... Just taste it. Some of the Yeasts they brew them with can be quite raw to the ole nose, but awful yummy to the taste buds.

At the Funk Asheville event Cascade brought over a the Apricot and a Kriek for us to try, in a word, awesome. The Apricot took home my personal best brew honors.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to recommend Ommegang's 3 philosophers. It isn't really a full on sour. It is a blend of a Quad (98%) and Liefmans Kriek (2%) and it is amazing...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had 3 philosophers. Its a very good beer. Come to think of uit, I believe I drank a couple of lambic beers over the years. It was alright...but not something I would try on the reg.

Might be on the lookout for the Duchess beer above...

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had 3 philosophers. Its a very good beer. Come to think of uit, I believe I drank a couple of lambic beers over the years. It was alright...but not something I would try on the reg.

Might be on the lookout for the Duchess beer above...

No might about it my friend. Make it happen...