• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

offseason optimism

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some positive signs coming out of Alameda, it appears Reggie, after a pretty inauspicious start is finding his rythmn in the Raider front office. How does the Nation see it? Are we beginning to turn the corner after years of mind numbing mediocrity or is this just another head fake? Is this the long-awaited change in the culture of Raider management or just business as usual? I myself feeling pretty good about the developments of 2014 and I look to see improvement on the field this year.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about the lack of capitalization in my title, I foolishly posted this from my "smart" phone.

Feel free to chime in anytime, outside the Nation welcome as well.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.. This has been one of the better offseason in a long time imo.. We had a lot of holes to fill, AND it looks like Reggie filled most of them!! Sure a lot of them are VETS but they can still ball.. We got both of the 9ers starting corners from their TOP 5 rank D, Added VERY good players in Tuck, Woodley, Smith, and kept Sims for the DL.. On the OL we added Penn, Howard, Boothe, Kept KB..
And at QB we added 2 time pro-bowler Schaub, along with MJD and James Jones at WR!!
That's a lot of VET talent we added to our young team!!
If Schaub gets his mojo back and our team comes together, along with hitting the draft??
The Raiders will challenge for the AFC West!! DA, Olson, and Tarver NEED to make it happen!!
They got everything they wanted with a DEEP draft still to come!! JUST WIN!!

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have HOPE for this team.. GO RAIDERS!! SILVER AND BLACK!!

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.. This has been one of the better offseason in a long time imo.. We had a lot of holes to fill, AND it looks like Reggie filled most of them!! Sure a lot of them are VETS but they can still ball.. We got both of the 9ers starting corners from their TOP 5 rank D, Added VERY good players in Tuck, Woodley, Smith, and kept Sims for the DL.. On the OL we added Penn, Howard, Boothe, Kept KB..
And at QB we added 2 time pro-bowler Schaub, along with MJD and James Jones at WR!!
That's a lot of VET talent we added to our young team!!
If Schaub gets his mojo back and our team comes together, along with hitting the draft??
The Raiders will challenge for the AFC West!! DA, Olson, and Tarver NEED to make it happen!!
They got everything they wanted with a DEEP draft still to come!! JUST WIN!!

when you think about it, Reggie's work was pretty simple, take the best player available, regardless of position. I think in the draft that is pretty much the same position, while favoring the defensive side, if Clowney does drop to t4th, he is worth thinking about, and the only 1st round QB I really like overall is Bortles, Mack, Matthews, Robinson, are all strong players from the 4th spot. Johnny Football is just too damn small for me, he is Jeff Garcia at best. I think Bortles could be more like big Ben, and probably a little more shifty.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on paper it looks good but some of these players like tuck and woodley at end of their careers I'm skeptical there will be a drop off in production. desean jackson could have been a big addition. in my eyes the raiders receivers have been one of the worst groups as a whole for a few years now. i don't think pryor got a fair shot with below average receivers. IM not so sure james jones didn't benefit from a top 5 qb and less defensive attention because of jordy nelson.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F GRADES

Oakland Raiders
Grade: F

Key signings: QB Matt Schaub (trade), LT Donald Penn, OLB LaMarr Woodley, S Charles Woodson, RB Darren McFadden, DE Justin Tuck, DE Antonio Smith, WR James Jones, CB Tarell Brown, G Kevin Boothe, T Austin Howard
Key subtractions: LT Jared Veldheer, DE Lamarr Houston, CB Tracy Porter, CB Mike Jenkins, DT Vance Walker, RB Rashad Jennings

The Raiders rallied to improve their roster after an embarrassing start to free agency that featured their botched attempt to sign Saffold to an overpriced contract. Unfortunately for Oakland, the moves did not set up the team for long-term success. The first 12 players Oakland added or re-signed averaged 30.5 years old, the highest figure in the league. Yes, the Raiders needed to spend money, but why chase declining players when two of their own building blocks -- Veldheer and Houston -- were headed out the door the minute free agency opened? Perhaps most importantly, the manner in which the Raiders navigated the process only reinforced their image as an organization without a direction.

"I really, honestly don't understand it," Polian said. He was not the only one.

"They will posture it as bringing in leadership to change the culture, but the guys they signed are not going to change culture," Riddick said. "Most of the guys who went there had nowhere else to go. I liked the Woodson re-sign. That is true leadership. Charles truly cares about the Raiders. But in a year when you need to spend cash and had cap room to get it done with Veldheer and Houston, why wouldn't you get it done? Even if you didn't like them much, it sends a better message than what you are doing now. Not only are you chasing with older free agents who don't want to come there anyway, but your draft picks aren't panning out."

It’s been a rough offseason for the Silver and Black.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlaRaider, I think QB is in play for our 5 pick, I really do man.. TB is the guy I think Reggie will want if we go QB at 5 imo.. Reggie said if we went QB at 5 that he would sit a year behind a VET, well we got our VET QB.. Bortles, TB, JM, Carr, two of those players will be there at 5 when we pick, so who knows??
If we go D the only player worth it at 5 to me is Clowney.. It would be better to trade down if we want to go D with our first pick.. Then we got the two prized LTs, Matthews and Robinson, at least one of them will be there at 5..
Reggie has done pretty good since that bad first day of FA.. And next year we will have another 60M in Cap money!! Truth is we look good on paper as of right now, but its just PAPER like the other 31 teams.. We have to wait till the season shakes out to know the truth.. Heck most if not all of the SMART people on TV said the Texans would be in the SB!! And yet here they sit with the First pick in draft..
We will keep adding players till the season starts..

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlaRaider, I think QB is in play for our 5 pick, I really do man.. TB is the guy I think Reggie will want if we go QB at 5 imo.. Reggie said if we went QB at 5 that he would sit a year behind a VET, well we got our VET QB.. Bortles, TB, JM, Carr, two of those players will be there at 5 when we pick, so who knows??
If we go D the only player worth it at 5 to me is Clowney.. It would be better to trade down if we want to go D with our first pick.. Then we got the two prized LTs, Matthews and Robinson, at least one of them will be there at 5..
Reggie has done pretty good since that bad first day of FA.. And next year we will have another 60M in Cap money!! Truth is we look good on paper as of right now, but its just PAPER like the other 31 teams.. We have to wait till the season shakes out to know the truth.. Heck most if not all of the SMART people on TV said the Texans would be in the SB!! And yet here they sit with the First pick in draft..
We will keep adding players till the season starts..

If we are going QB we should trade back and draft Carr, TB and Manziel are gonna bust hard.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F GRADES

Oakland Raiders
Grade: F

Key signings: QB Matt Schaub (trade), LT Donald Penn, OLB LaMarr Woodley, S Charles Woodson, RB Darren McFadden, DE Justin Tuck, DE Antonio Smith, WR James Jones, CB Tarell Brown, G Kevin Boothe, T Austin Howard
Key subtractions: LT Jared Veldheer, DE Lamarr Houston, CB Tracy Porter, CB Mike Jenkins, DT Vance Walker, RB Rashad Jennings

The Raiders rallied to improve their roster after an embarrassing start to free agency that featured their botched attempt to sign Saffold to an overpriced contract. Unfortunately for Oakland, the moves did not set up the team for long-term success. The first 12 players Oakland added or re-signed averaged 30.5 years old, the highest figure in the league. Yes, the Raiders needed to spend money, but why chase declining players when two of their own building blocks -- Veldheer and Houston -- were headed out the door the minute free agency opened? Perhaps most importantly, the manner in which the Raiders navigated the process only reinforced their image as an organization without a direction.

"I really, honestly don't understand it," Polian said. He was not the only one.

"They will posture it as bringing in leadership to change the culture, but the guys they signed are not going to change culture," Riddick said. "Most of the guys who went there had nowhere else to go. I liked the Woodson re-sign. That is true leadership. Charles truly cares about the Raiders. But in a year when you need to spend cash and had cap room to get it done with Veldheer and Houston, why wouldn't you get it done? Even if you didn't like them much, it sends a better message than what you are doing now. Not only are you chasing with older free agents who don't want to come there anyway, but your draft picks aren't panning out."

It’s been a rough offseason for the Silver and Black.

I definitely agree with you on this issue, letting Houston and Veldheer walk w/o any reasonable offer was pretty incomprehensible, I would like to hear what the Raider FO has to justify that inaction. I was very disappointed in the oblivious sleepwalking we did for the first few days of FA.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Tuck - No doubt can be a locker room leader, ask the Giants if they will miss him, I think they will. I guess the big question will be if a short term deal will inspire him, as I believe he still has something in his tank, if not it's just a blip on the cap wise. Lets not forget he has a couple SB rings to flash.

Austin Howard - A solid signing for a turnkey right tackle, I think Howard is a good solid RT and I believe the Jets are scrambling to replace him, I see nothing wrong with this move so far.

Lamarr Woodley - A look at his declining numbers say he is on the downside of his career, so this move has some reason to be second guessed, if it wasn't for the excellent value, another player with a SB ring who could bring leadership to a defense in sore need, combined with re-signing Woods, I can see the logic.

James Jones - Another high profile signing for the Raiders, Jones had career high numbers last season despite some nagging injuries and has had a strong career at GB (wink wink), he is automatically at the top of our depth chart. Once again, a pretty good price paid for top quality talent, also another SB ring.

So far I think I am pretty happy with these high profile moves, some age, but tons of valuable experience, and not a major investment, wtf is wrong here?

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya poprock, JM and Teddy B can bust, but so can every other player in this draft.. There is no such thing as a sure pick.. Every draft pick is a gamble on potential.. You want glory?? Then you gamble on a potential franchise QB!! This draft has 4 very good QBs with about 5 other solid ones..
1 QB to me stands out, and that's TB.. Not since Luck have I seen a QB break down a D read the WHOLE field make ALL the line calls put the ball right on the money, being super clutch, smart etc..
That is the type of QB you gamble on!! Break down the tape of ALL 4 QBs and Teddy B stands head and shoulders above them all.. Tape never lies.. That's just what I see bro.. I could be right or wrong.. Roll those dice if we go QB..

Last edited by a moderator:

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong.. I like all 4 QBs.. JM is a BIG game player blew up SEC Ds like nothing!! Dude is SUPER clutch, great arm fast feet, very smart!! Johnny Raider would be the talk of the NFL!!
Bortles, has the size 6-5 240 that you like in an NFL QB!! Has a good arm and nice feet can make all the NFL throws.. Needs to sit a year, Just like Reggie would want.. Carr, has the best ARM in this draft class.. That dude has a ROCKET ARM, is smart with good feet as well.. So the potential is there for all 4 of them if we go QB.. IMO...
Or go Matthews\Robinson..
Matthews\Robinson.. Penn.. Wiz2.. Howard.. Watson.. Beast OL!! POWER RUN!!
Its hard to know what Reggie will do in the draft?? Could trade down, take QB, OL, some D player??
That's what makes it FUN..

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connor Shaw also blew up SEC defenses.........difference was Shaw won more games against them. He beat Missouri, Manziel didn't.

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya poprock, JM and Teddy B can bust, but so can every other player in this draft.. There is no such thing as a sure pick.. Every draft pick is a gamble on potential.. You want glory?? Then you gamble on a potential franchise QB!! This draft has 4 very good QBs with about 5 other solid ones..
1 QB to me stands out, and that's TB.. Not since Luck have I seen a QB break down a D read the WHOLE field make ALL the line calls put the ball right on the money, being super clutch, smart etc..
That is the type of QB you gamble on!! Break down the tape of ALL 4 QBs and Teddy B stands head and shoulders above them all.. Tape never lies.. That's just what I see bro.. I could be right or wrong.. Roll those dice if we go QB..

Best QB in the draft is Carr.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PopRock, Carr could very well be the best QB in this draft, as could 5 other QBs in this draft.. I just go by the tape and games played, and TB looked the best to me anyways..
On another note.. That Sammy Watkins looks like a MONSTER!! WOW.. Watkins, Streater, Jones, DMo, Holmes, Butler, Criner!! That could be the best young WR core in the NFL?? Throw in Rivera and Reece, and Schaub would have so many weapons to game plan for?? Watkins= Tim Brown IMO
AFC West Ds would FEAR the Raider WRs if we drafted Watkins!! With that said I doubt he is there at 5??
Super DEEP draft, with impact players all up and down that first and second round..
You like that WR core?? How about this beast OL Matthews\Robinson Penn Wiz2 Howard Watson??
Or a QB of the future?? A lot of good ones.. Or some Beast NT, DE, S,CB to ADD to Tuck, Woodly. CWood, Hayden,Brown, ETC?? Its a WIN-WIN anyway we go... IMO

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and Brees, both you and me know that Conner Shaw and Johnny Football are not in the same ball park.. Sorry dude..

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Shaw was needed for us to win games and for people talking up Clowney they need to take Shaw seriously. Shaw has heart and leadership and doesnt do the partying thing either like Manziel.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees im not hating on Conner Shaw.. I think he is a pretty good player to tell you the truth.. I would tune in to Gamecock games to see all the HYPE on Clowney, and it was Shaw that stole the show most of the time.. I just think JM is a better player than Shaw, now that don't mean Shaw is trash or anything like that, it just means that I have JM higher on my board..
I would be ok if Reggie used a lower pick on Shaw.. Welcome to the Raiders Shaw IF Reggie picks you is how I feel..