• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Spring Training Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates are 4-1 so far in Spring Training, which doesn't mean all that much, but more winning is always better. They take on the Tigers today.

Pedro is hitting quite well so far, McCutchen has been McCutchen, of course, and there are some interesting young players to watch this year, as always.

McGuiness looks good early, and he kind of intrigues me. Tony Sanchez has been hitting pretty well, which is nice, since he's likely our starter next year.

Any other players or game discussion folks have?

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Pirates are interested in Mike Carp. If they don't have to give up too much to get him (how about Tabata?) he could be a solid contributor for the Pirates. The guy can hit, and he'd make a solid lefty counterpart to Sanchez at first. And when he's not starting, he can make the bench more productive, too. Not sure about his defense at first -- one scouting report said he's slow afoot in the outfield but better at first -- but he's got to be better than Jones was.

It seems pretty clear that Pirate management isn't going to acquire a big-name first baseman this year, so Carp may be just what the doctor ordered. They can get him for a decent price and he can fill several needs.

And besides, he's one of the few major leaguers whose name is the same as that of a fish. I know there's been a Bass or two in the majors, and we all know about "Catfish" Hunter. Any others you can think of?

smokeyburgess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got the day off, so I had time to Google a few more fish names of recent players:

Mike Trout, Steve Trout, Mike Salmon, Sid Bream, Johnny Ray, Ralph Garr. Any Perches or Walleyes out there?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Pirates are interested in Mike Carp. If they don't have to give up too much to get him (how about Tabata?) he could be a solid contributor for the Pirates. The guy can hit, and he'd make a solid lefty counterpart to Sanchez at first. And when he's not starting, he can make the bench more productive, too. Not sure about his defense at first -- one scouting report said he's slow afoot in the outfield but better at first -- but he's got to be better than Jones was.

It seems pretty clear that Pirate management isn't going to acquire a big-name first baseman this year, so Carp may be just what the doctor ordered. They can get him for a decent price and he can fill several needs.

And besides, he's one of the few major leaguers whose name is the same as that of a fish. I know there's been a Bass or two in the majors, and we all know about "Catfish" Hunter. Any others you can think of?

I would be happy with Carp depending on what we give up to get him. I don't want to make a hole to fill a hole, for example, or overpay for him, but he would make our team better, I think. And we could still give Lambo a chance as a right fielder if management really wants to look at him this season even if we make the move.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-1-1 now with a win over the Tigers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more i think about it, the more I think we should just go with Lambo.

He is 25, had an ops of .922 in AA/AAA last year. An ops of 944 vs rhb

We can protect him vs LHP and have a defensive replacement for him.

Limit his abs vs lefties, I dont see why he cant be better than Jones was last season.

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've got the day off, so I had time to Google a few more fish names of recent players:

Mike Trout, Steve Trout, Mike Salmon, Sid Bream, Johnny Ray, Ralph Garr. Any Perches or Walleyes out there?

Brian Bass (Orioles), Stuart Marlin (Browns?), and of course the infamous Chet "The Jet" Guppy.

In 1970 the Pirates had three pitchers named Veale, Moose, and Lamb.

smokeyburgess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 1970 the Pirates had three pitchers named Veale, Moose, and Lamb.

When Jim Pagliaroni was catching for Bob Veale, the battery was Veale-Pagliaroni, which sounds like a fine Italian pasta dish. :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates look like they'll move to 7-2 this spring as they take a 10-3 lead into the 9th. :thumb:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polanco sent down today, not that it's surprising.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't even know Daniel Schlereth was in camp with the Pirates. I guess he is pitching well and might be an option as a lefty out of the bullpen this year. If that is the case I hope that doesn't mean Wilson is trade bait.

I just don't understand how any of the non-roster bullpen help will make the roster with so much already out of options.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not sure how much leverage the pirates have in trading excess BP chips as everyone knows they have too much from inside the org and some promising NRI as well.

unless the demand bids up the price, they will just wait and let them be cut/DFA and snatch them.

i am not optimistic about the return for the necessary loss in talent. seems like many need arms and need them regularly tho, so .....