• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Signing Draft Picks Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the deadline is only two weeks away, we might as well start this thread up. I'll look for a list of signees to link, as well. Unfortunately, for now, the most recent list I can find is as of July 15.

3. Alex Dickerson
4. Colten Brewer
6. Dan Gamache
8. Jason Creasy
10. Taylor Lewis
18. Josh Poytress
21. Alex Fuselier
22. Michael Jefferson
23. Jordan Cooper
24. Brian Sharp
27. Ryan Hornback
29. Kirk Singer
30. Matthew Benedict
31. Derek Trent
32. David Jagoditsh
33. Chris Lashmet
41. Jonathan Schwind

If you know of any other news on signings, and I know a couple guys have been inked since Dickerson on the 15th, go ahead and post them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, mags, that's exactly what I was looking for.

And it just came through Twitter that 7th-rounder Jake Burnette has been inked.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also remember seeing news yesterday on Tyler Glasnow, but I don't remember what it was. I was encouraged by it, I recall.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darkstone,

I've seen recent reports on Burnette and Glasnow as well. However, they're not showing up yet on the mlb.com site.

Please be advised that the list on mlb.com seems to be updated ONLY when the signing becomes "official." As such, there are often delays after a signing is first reported before it shows up on the mlb.com list. That's probably related to getting official approval from Selig's office, the player passing a physical (if required), etc. Once a signing shows up on that list at mlb.com however, you can take it to the bank.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darkstone,

I've seen recent reports on Burnette and Glasnow as well. However, they're not showing up yet on the mlb.com site.

Please be advised that the list on mlb.com seems to be updated ONLY when the signing becomes "official." As such, there are often delays after a signing is first reported before it shows up on the mlb.com list. That's probably related to getting official approval from Selig's office, the player passing a physical (if required), etc. Once a signing shows up on that list at mlb.com however, you can take it to the bank.

Yeah, all my reports have been the team announcing an agreement, so I'm guessing you're right about the holdup.

It's encouraging that it looks like they might have 7 of their top 10 signed now, especially knowing both of the top two will go right down to the deadline.

In other news, Jim Callis of Baseball America seems to believe only "astronomical" dollar amounts will dissuade Bell from going to Texas. He speculates upwards of $10 million, which, even if the Pirates were willing to offer, the league wouldn't approve.

I hope he's wrong.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter also reports they've come to terms with Rodarrick Jones.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pirates Prospects has a draft signing tracker that is updated as word is announced of a signing. It also has details of the deal and a player profile. Outside of the top 2 I would like us to get Candon Myles signed, seems like someone that would be very fun to watch.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, crow..... glad to see you here.

I'm aware of the tracker at Pirates Prospects. In fact, I have a link to Tim's draft tracker in my favorites and check it every day. However, I'm a little wary, since he seems to report signings a bit prematurely. For example, he reported that Colten Brewer (4th round) signed on June 20, but the Pirates' site at MLB.com states that Brewer signed on July 13. I don't like to count unhatched chickens.

Like everyone else, I'd like to see them sign Cole and Bell..... but I sure hope they pick up more of their top 20 round selections as well.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey mags, good to see you back posting again. A lot has changed since the last time I saw you on a message board. Hope you stay around here for a while.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey mags, good to see you back posting again. A lot has changed since the last time I saw you on a message board. Hope you stay around here for a while.

Agreed, crow, lots of change.....

The team has far exceeded my expectations this season, and rekindled my interest enough that I came back to the ESPN Pirates' board about a week ago..... only to run into their latest "upgrade." Thanks to an invitation from Darkstone42, I checked out this place and found it to be exactly what I was looking for: great features and a civilized community of Pirate fans. The only problem was a relatively low level of traffic. That's already being helped by the influx of posters from the ESPN board.

And yes..... I plan to stick around (assuming the Bucs don't lose their next 50 games).

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PP reported yesterday that Candon Myles has signed and is headed to GCL to finish the season. Also saw a random report that the Pirates have offered a deal to Josh Bell in excess of $4million, looks like they are serious about trying to get him in uniform if the report is true. However, Jim Callis said the chances of him signing are close to zero.FWIW

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates' site at MLB.com confirms that Myles (round 12) has signed. They list his signing date as 8/13/2011.

I don't know whether to be worried or disappointed at this point. Most fans expected Cole and Bell (Rounds 1 & 2) to go down to the wire. However, the Pirates also have not signed their draftees from the following rounds: 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, and all of those kids are high school players.

So..... the Pirates have NOT signed 11 of their top 20 draft picks. That strikes me as pretty weak. I guess we need to hope for a flurry of activity on the last day.

Attention Huntington. :director: Please get something done!

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would guess that one of two things coud happen. Either we sign Cole and Bell and not much else or we sign Cole and a lot of the other picks you mentioned. There are more than likely a lot of verbal agreements that will go through if we can't get Bell.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both will sign at the deadline.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JR what makes you so sure that either will sign let alone both? Cole it is fairly obvious, as he can't improve his draft position, but Bell could, by a lot. Just Wondering why you are so sure both will sign.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than before the draft he said he didn't want to be drafted there has been no words saying it again that I have heard. Why hire Boros as an "advisor"? And with the new rules taking effect, now is his chance to strike it big and of course my gut feeling.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Other than before the draft he said he didn't want to be drafted there has been no words saying it again that I have heard. Why hire Boros as an "advisor"? And with the new rules taking effect, now is his chance to strike it big and of course my gut feeling.

There could be a couple reasons for not hearing anything else, the most likely is that he meant it and believes there should be no further discussion on the matter. However, it could also have been a negotiating ploy from the start. I think the Pirates still think they can sign him and that is what is holding up a bunch of other deals.
On a different note, what are you doing in Chesapeake, Va?