• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive upgrade Possibilities - Designated Hitter

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They started Tuesday, but had to work that night. I'll be back in Washington for a week here real soon so will miss some again. I'll try when I get back especially now since their homefield is Surprise stadium this year which is 5 minutes from my house.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are Victor Martinez wants a 4 year deal and some teams may balk. If you are M's, give it to him and run. We have noting to lose because we aren't signing others of his quality. It's not like it is wasted money because what do we have to spend it on if not for a quality hitter even if he is up, up there in age?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking the list of free agent position players for nex winter, after the 2015 season. It looks even worse than this year's crop.

I'm afraid that if the Mariners are going to improve their offense, they will have to do it either through trade or the farm system.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farm is long process and a low odd one as well. Spend now and keep your prospects. Give Martinez a 4 year deal and also sign Cuddyer and D Young. That should improve the RH bats.

C- Zunino/Sucre
1B-Young/Morrison
2B-Cano
3B-Seager
SS-Miller/Taylor
LF-Ackley
CF-Jackson/Saunders
RF-Cuddyer
DH-Martinez

BN- Bloomquist

* The next step for me would be to trade Kuma, Elias, and Jackson to Boston for Cespedes, Betts, and Napoli

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farm is long process and a low odd one as well. Spend now and keep your prospects. Give Martinez a 4 year deal and also sign Cuddyer and D Young. That should improve the RH bats.

C- Zunino/Sucre
1B-Young/Morrison
2B-Cano
3B-Seager
SS-Miller/Taylor
LF-Ackley
CF-Jackson/Saunders
RF-Cuddyer
DH-Martinez

BN- Bloomquist

* The next step for me would be to trade Kuma, Elias, and Jackson to Boston for Cespedes, Betts, and Napoli

But I don't think the organization is set up for monetarily. They have to raise the budget quite a bit for that don't they and hopefully try to get a number 2/3 starter since Walker is almost certainly getting dealt by January.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the money and always have. Will they spend it? That is another question for another day.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C- Zunino/Sucre
1B-Young/Morrison
2B-Cano
3B-Seager
SS-Miller/Taylor
LF-Ackley
CF-Jackson/Saunders
RF-Cuddyer
DH-Martinez

BN- Bloomquist

I'd probably rather have Morales over Martinez since he's younger/cheaper and will have a full spring training without any distractions next season.

There's so many options but as long as they upgrade 1B,RF,DH over last season(yes Morales will be an upgrade over himself at DH from last year), without trading any significant pieces, I'll be satisfied.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the money and always have. Will they spend it? That is another question for another day.

Ya I think we all know they have the money but with that much of an increase just seems like a pipe dream with this organization. I agree that Kuma needs to be dealt and all signs are pointing towards Walker being dealt so they are going to have to get those offensive guy's contracts then also have to get 2 more starting pitchers somewhere.

If they keep going cheap it's eventually going to be time to start rehashing the trading Felix discussion, but even then his value has massively dropped IMO.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I think we all know they have the money but with that much of an increase just seems like a pipe dream with this organization. I agree that Kuma needs to be dealt and all signs are pointing towards Walker being dealt so they are going to have to get those offensive guy's contracts then also have to get 2 more starting pitchers somewhere.

If they keep going cheap it's eventually going to be time to start rehashing the trading Felix discussion, but even then his value has massively dropped IMO.[/QUOTE]

Just curious how his value has dropped so much? He is coming off his best year and is still only 28.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C- Zunino/Sucre
1B-Young/Morrison
2B-Cano
3B-Seager
SS-Miller/Taylor
LF-Ackley
CF-Jackson/Saunders
RF-Cuddyer
DH-Martinez

BN- Bloomquist

It would be a great trade if they could pull it off, but I don't see the inccentive for Boston to give up a giffted young hitter like Betts in that trade scenario. They get a #4 pitcher (Elias), and #2 pitcher with only one year of team control, and a highly overrated banjo-hitting centerfielder who doesn't do anything like a powerhitter other than strikeout. I think if Boston were to give up Betts, they would expect a name like Paxson or Peterson in the return package.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they keep going cheap it's eventually going to be time to start rehashing the trading Felix discussion, but even then his value has massively dropped IMO.[/QUOTE]

Just curious how his value has dropped so much? He is coming off his best year and is still only 28.

My reasoning is that pitching was at a premium when the first wave of trade talks as opposed to now everyone wants a hitter. Supply and demand has massively changed since Felix hit his prime.

I'm not saying Felix's value has dropped to an average player in terms of Seattle could get back for him but I don't think Seattle would sniff anything close to what teams were reportedly offering 3 years ago, but that is just my opinion.

I'm just making an educated guess because of how rumors are floated about what it is going to take to get Stanton who is much less of a player than Cabrera but deals are for better players, and the Oakland-Cubs/Red Sox deal where neither of those deals are close to the farm the Yankees and Red Sox were ready to offer Seattle. Any deal involving Walker and Paxton plus (which is the rumor) is much better than what Detroit gave up and I just remember it was prospects plus Ellsbury with the Red Sox and prospects and Cano with the Yankees.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a great trade if they could pull it off, but I don't see the inccentive for Boston to give up a giffted young hitter like Betts in that trade scenario. They get a #4 pitcher (Elias), and #2 pitcher with only one year of team control, and a highly overrated banjo-hitting centerfielder who doesn't do anything like a powerhitter other than strikeout. I think if Boston were to give up Betts, they would expect a name like Paxson or Peterson in the return package.

Ya, who knows. I know Boston loves defensive CF's and Jackson is that. Elias may be looked at than more than a #4 from some teams. He had his moments. I'm personally not sold on hm long term, but hopefully another team is and this off season would be the time to move him. Kuma would fit their need and being on the final year of a deal probably wouldn't bother Boston since they think they can sign anyone. Plus, Cespedes is gone and also a one year rental for someone. I think Betts offsets the price of Napoli that they would be out from under. I have always been a big fan of his. It's all fantasy at this point of course.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, who knows. I know Boston loves defensive CF's and Jackson is that. Elias may be looked at than more than a #4 from some teams. He had his moments. I'm personally not sold on hm long term, but hopefully another team is and this off season would be the time to move him. Kuma would fit their need and being on the final year of a deal probably wouldn't bother Boston since they think they can sign anyone. Plus, Cespedes is gone and also a one year rental for someone. I think Betts offsets the price of Napoli that they would be out from under. I have always been a big fan of his. It's all fantasy at this point of course.

Will Elias be looked as higher than a #4? I don't know. If he improves upon last year he will. But a 3.85 ERA is not that good anymore, especially when the pitcher pitches in Safeco Field for half of his games. Obviously there are many more ways to gauge a player besides ERA, but, just to throw it out there: His ERA was 29th in the AL and 62nd in MLB.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Elias be looked as higher than a #4? I don't know. If he improves upon last year he will. But a 3.85 ERA is not that good anymore, especially when the pitcher pitches in Safeco Field for half of his games. Obviously there are many more ways to gauge a player besides ERA, but, just to throw it out there: His ERA was 29th in the AL and 62nd in MLB.

I gotta think he has potential to improve and become a #3, maybe #2, but doubtful. I mean, he was a rookie (25) in his first full season in majors and had not previously pitched above AA. I highly doubt last season was the best he has to offer.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I'd like seeing Elias shipped just because listening to the television or radio during his starts is unbearable. I get it, he swam from Cuba, I don't need to be reminded every inning.