• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive upgrade Possibilities - Designated Hitter

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Upgrade Targets – Designated Hitter
Incumbent – unoccupied

Acquisition possibilities:

Victor Martinez – 35 years old. The market for him is going to be very hot and as the premier offensive player in free agency this year, he will getting a ridiculous contract given his age. He is a long shot to land here and it is probably a blessing in disguise that he won’t.

Kendrys Morales – very realistic candidate. 32 years old. I’ve soured on this guy but I can see him coming back here. His opportunities are very limited.

Adam Lind. 32 years old. Presumably affordable. Inflated stats in the Skydome will be tough to duplicate in Safeco.

Billy Butler. Only 28 years old but his stats off dropped off for two straight years. Might be one these guys who peaks early and fades away at 30 years old.

Garrett Jones. 33 years old. Does not hit left handed pitching, but has decent production against right handers.

Nelson Cruz. Turns 35 years old midway through next season. With Markakis leaving Baltimore this winter, Orioles will probably make a strong push to re-sign Cruz. I don’t see the Mariners being a strong candidate to land him.

Marlon Byrd. Trade acquisition. Phillies would be looking to dump the contract and wouldn’t be asking for much in return. 37 years old. Strikeouts have risen dramatically in the last two years as he tries to camouflage declining hitting skills by swinging for the fences more.

Seth Smith. Trade acquisition. Signed through 2016 for $13 milliion. Padres would want a decent prospect in return. 32 years old.

Justin Morneau. 34 years old. Won the NL batting title. Rockies have a $9 million option on him so he will probably never see free agency but could still be available via trade. But he won't come cheap.

Player I’d like for them to get: none of the above. The players listed above will either cost way more than they are worth or will not be much better than what we have at AAA.
Player they are most likely to get: Seth Smith. San Diego is far and away the Mariners favorite trade partner (unfortunately).

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Montero.... lol

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sold on them spending any real money towards the DH. I'd prefer them to spend the money on RF or 1B. If they go for a RF, stick Saunders back at his natural position then it opens up a trade with Austin Jackson and a 1B allows them to use a Morrison/Montero DH. Montero may not work in the bigs but IMO he is an upgrade over anything Morales gave last year. I'm for Morales if he comes back at a huge discount price.

They need a DH, but IMO they have in house options. They need a true RF or 1B and their 3rd need is a middle of the rotation starter. Can't have Elias, Paxton and Walker rounding out the rotation if they want to make the playoffs IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delmon Young (29)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slim pickens overall when it comes to DH free agents.

I'm not optimistic about him, but I'd rather see the M's give Montero a chance at DH, and spend real money on an outfielder who can hit. Slim pickens there, too, when it comes to FA, but outside of Paxton, I wouldn't mind seeing Z go all in on a trade for Stanton.

It's just so scary to think about what's going to happen.

By the way, this is me posting in a PV thread. I think it's time to bury the hatchet.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what a PV thread is (I assume a private message which I didn't even know you could do on here), but I have no issue with you. Thought that was buried months ago. :suds:

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard something on SC today and it made me think. It is widely considered that Hanley Ramirez's defense has gotten to a point that it is a hinderance for his teams. Would anyone consider him has a RH DH for next year?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what a PV thread is (I assume a private message which I didn't even know you could do on here), but I have no issue with you. Thought that was buried months ago. :suds:

PV=PolarVortex

And yeah, I didn't think there was still any animosity between you and me. I took a long break from the board because I was getting stupid back then.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard something on SC today and it made me think. It is widely considered that Hanley Ramirez's defense has gotten to a point that it is a hinderance for his teams. Would anyone consider him has a RH DH for next year?

Isn't his salary still high? I'm with cezero that the money should be spent on position players not a DH. I think Morrison and Montero are more than viable candidates for the DH role. It's hard to count on Saunders for a full season and if Austin Jackson plays the way he did with last year with the M's they will take a huge step backwards. OF, 1B and a number 3 starter IMO are the needs (and maybe another Buck type catcher).

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't his salary still high? I'm with cezero that the money should be spent on position players not a DH. I think Morrison and Montero are more than viable candidates for the DH role. It's hard to count on Saunders for a full season and if Austin Jackson plays the way he did with last year with the M's they will take a huge step backwards. OF, 1B and a number 3 starter IMO are the needs (and maybe another Buck type catcher).

I thought SC said Ramirez is a FA after this season. I could be mistaken.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My bad then, if he is a free agent, comes in at a decent price and they deal Miller then I wouldn't be opposed to it. Even if his defense is in decline wouldn't he still be a decent option to split with Taylor?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he is a free agent. MLB Trade rumors has a list of all the FAs, by position.
And no, I wouldn't want him here on a multi-year deal as our shortstop. Maybe on a 2-3 year deal as a DH, but I still wouldn't want to commit big money. Maybe 3 years/$39 million - that would be the limit for me, and another team is bound to offer him more than that.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slim pickens overall when it comes to DH free agents.

I'm not optimistic about him, but I'd rather see the M's give Montero a chance at DH, and spend real money on an outfielder who can hit. Slim pickens there, too, when it comes to FA, but outside of Paxton, I wouldn't mind seeing Z go all in on a trade for Stanton.

It's just so scary to think about what's going to happen.

By the way, this is me posting in a PV thread. I think it's time to bury the hatchet.

what would be considered all in for Stanton? Are we talking Paxton, Walker and Petersen or is that even enough?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he is a free agent. MLB Trade rumors has a list of all the FAs, by position.
And no, I wouldn't want him here on a multi-year deal as our shortstop. Maybe on a 2-3 year deal as a DH, but I still wouldn't want to commit big money. Maybe 3 years/$39 million - that would be the limit for me, and another team is bound to offer him more than that.

thanks. I was thinking strictly as a DH. I don't want any part of him in the field at this point.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yuck, nothing at all to like about that group.........I guess Boston knew what they were doing this year, trading pitching for hitting. and going all in after the cuban defector..... With baseball being clean, the offense available is just atrocious.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yuck, nothing at all to like about that group.........I guess Boston knew what they were doing this year, trading pitching for hitting. and going all in after the cuban defector..... With baseball being clean, the offense available is just atrocious.

It doesn't get any better for the other positions the Mariners should be looking to upgrade (SS,1B, LF, CF, RF). VMart and Nelson cruz are the cream of the crop for free agency position players.

Jack is going to have to be Houdini this winter if he wants to make a significant upgrade to the offense and pull off a trade completely un-expected.

And I'd caution people about hoping for a Giancarlo Stanton acquisition. Every professional team on the planet, including those in Japan, Taiwan, Australia and Korea, have him at the top of their wish list. OK, obviously he is staying in America, but you get my point. They need to focus their energy in looking for a more realistic avenue to find offense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what would be considered all in for Stanton? Are we talking Paxton, Walker and Petersen or is that even enough?

I think the consensus for all in is those 3 plus but as much as the M's need offense Stanton's value is not both of those two to the organization.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got a sick feeling that Billy Butler would be the guy. A guy whose drop in production will make him an ideal buy low candidate which is how we have addressed the DH position in the past. I hope I am wrong though.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PV=PolarVortex

And yeah, I didn't think there was still any animosity between you and me. I took a long break from the board because I was getting stupid back then.

My bad. Thought you were talking to me. Good to have you back as a regular. Now I am in and out to take a break.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. Thought you were talking to me. Good to have you back as a regular. Now I am in and out to take a break.

Aren't they doing fall league down there now? Can't go when we need the updates.