• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Thoughts?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we had a problem again with teams knowing we were going to pass quite often.

a linebacker or whoever would just run in unblocked and put Joe B under pressure or sack him. It was getting a bit tiresome, because you could see it developing before the ball was ever snapped, yet, the Bengals made no adjustment and just allowed it to happen.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Now I understand why we suck on offense if this is true.
Taylor still calls the plays. It may have been a collab, but he's making the calls.

There was another article I saw that said he was considering giving up play calling to Callahan in '24 if he returned. At least he's aware enough to know - change was needed.

A step in the right direction...we hope.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Now I understand why we suck on offense if this is true.
I'm sorry, but I think this article takes a bunch of shit out of context and tells a stupid story. It makes it sound like the Bengals have no plan and they are just randomly guessing shit with the top vote getter being the play that gets called. If you did that in a game, you would never snap the ball. The Bengals are among the lead leaders in least pre-snap penalties each and every year that Taylor and the staff have been there. They have also been especially good at scripting early series over the last couple of years. This is not a team that is doing shit by accident from a play-calling perspective.

I've said it more than once here... The issue is not play calling. It rarely is play calling for any team. The issue is scheme. For whatever reason, they don't feature enough multiple formations, the run doesn't always match up well with the pass, and the offensive line has very little athletic talent, making it challenging to move the line or play at the second level. Some other guy calling the plays will not fix this.

All that said, the team has done well to adjust over the years and they have been effective. They need to get to the next level but that won't come just because a new guy calls plays.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I think this article takes a bunch of shit out of context and tells a stupid story. It makes it sound like the Bengals have no plan and they are just randomly guessing shit with the top vote getter being the play that gets called. If you did that in a game, you would never snap the ball. The Bengals are among the lead leaders in least pre-snap penalties each and every year that Taylor and the staff have been there. They have also been especially good at scripting early series over the last couple of years. This is not a team that is doing shit by accident from a play-calling perspective.

I've said it more than once here... The issue is not play calling. It rarely is play calling for any team. The issue is scheme. For whatever reason, they don't feature enough multiple formations, the run doesn't always match up well with the pass, and the offensive line has very little athletic talent, making it challenging to move the line or play at the second level. Some other guy calling the plays will not fix this.

All that said, the team has done well to adjust over the years and they have been effective. They need to get to the next level but that won't come just because a new guy calls plays.
Exactly. Taylor may solicit feedback - all coaches who call plays should - but make no mistake. Taylor calls the plays.